kortus3

Kick Ash Basket or Kamado Joe Basket

Hey guys,

I am looking into getting one of these. The price tag is a little more than i want to spend but i am willing to pay for it for the value it provides. My question is which one would you recommend and why? I have read the Kamado Joe Basket needs some additional work to make it fit right and that the Kick Ash basket won't hold a full load of lump. 

Thanks

There are also some cheap chinese knock offs on amazon...

I have both the Kick Ash Baskets and the Kamado Joe baskets for my classic and big joe.  There are no 'fit' issues with either.  I would pick whichever one you think is right and go with it.  They all perform the same function.

I even bought one of the cheap stainless steel chinese knock offs for my classic just to see how well it would work and it works fine too.  

I was reading on this forum that folks were having to cut (or bend)  the hooks on the KJ version to prevent them from interfering with the deflectors.  My understanding was this impacted the new style firebox.  Is this still an issue?

I was going to purchase the KJ basket until I read about this fit issue with the new style firebox.

22 minutes ago, Keebler said:

I was reading on this forum that folks were having to cut (or bend)  the hooks on the KJ version to prevent them from interfering with the deflectors.  My understanding was this impacted the new style firebox.  Is this still an issue?

I was going to purchase the KJ basket until I read about this fit issue with the new style firebox.

I’ll end-up getting the KJ baskets in October.   My KAB’s are warped badly.  I’m not planing to roll the dice on a second set of KAB.  I can tolerate having the bend the hooks vs having to vesus a badly warped KAB you can’t fix. 

3 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’ll end-up getting the KJ baskets in October.   My KAB’s are warped badly.  I’m not planing to roll the dice on a second set of KAB.  I can tolerate having the bend the hooks vs having to vesus a badly warped KAB you can’t fix. 

How old are your KABs?

I've had mine up to searing temps almost weekly since purchasing it over a year ago and its still fine

I respectfully disagree with John on this one. There are significant fitment issues with the KJ ash basket. I have posted some photos and reasons on this thread: 

. To summarize the hooks need to be cut off to use the heat deflectors in the low position and the base and feet are so wide that the basket base is 1.5” higher than the height of the cast iron grate so that is lost space for lump and chunks. I can post more photos if you would like them. I don’t have any experience with a Kick Ash basket in my 2018 Big Joe but I do have one in my Junior and it fits perfectly. I have the new stainless version and have had no issue with warping over a couple of dozen cooks so far. 

I agree there are fitment issues with the KJ basket. I had the KAB but the earlier non SS version and it was rusting and warping badly. I decided to go with the KJ instead of getting the new SS version KAB. I made my KJ basket fit but at this point, I wish I had gone with the SS KAB.

I have the new KJ basket and I do not see a problem with the fit, What is the problem with the deflectors setting a little higher, Did you remove the Charcoal grate? I did, IMO It allows for more airflow  and it doesn't affect the way it cooks

Having them sit a little higher is a slight issue because it limits the space between the deflectors and the top rack making inserting a drip pan a little tight (the ones that I use are 3” high and I had to bend over the sides to fit it in the gap).  The problem comes when trying to place the deflectors plates onto the top of the hooks. It is a bit fiddly when they are cold but a real challenge then they are hot and you need to move fast over hot coals. 

The charcoal grate is removed when using a basket because it no longer serves a purpose and restricts air flow, one of the two major selling points (for me) of using one. The point that I was making in my last post and in the post that I linked it to is that the bottom of the charcoal basket is 1.5” higher than the height that the cast iron grate sat at when it was installed so space for charcoal and chunks is reduced, I don’t imagine this to be a problem for most people because I have run the grill for 18 hours at 225 with lots remaining. 

I still think that a charcoal basket is a brilliant upgrade I simply think that Kamado Joe could have made it much better and for £125 it should not have any issues. 

Cutting off off the hooks does remedy the deflectors issue but i would note that a plus side of the KJ basket is how heavily built it is. The downside of this is that it is quite heavy so without the hooks some people might find it a challenge to lift out and shake off the ash. 

For some reason the site is not allowing me to, I've tried on my mobile and on my desktop.  They are only 1.6, 2.7 and 2.6mb files so within limit, I keep getting a pop up message saying 'There was a problem uploading the file'.  I'm happy to send another way if you have a suggestion? 

52 minutes ago, chris.beard82 said:

For some reason the site is not allowing me to, I've tried on my mobile and on my desktop.  They are only 1.6, 2.7 and 2.6mb files so within limit, I keep getting a pop up message saying 'There was a problem uploading the file'.  I'm happy to send another way if you have a suggestion? 

Probably the incompatibility here wiht apple's proprietary image file format.

I agree that the heat deflectors do not sit as nicely on the hooks but they do sit there.  I have had no issues with it.  The difference in space for charcoal is not a problem either.   I think you are imagining problems that don't exist.  

At any rate, if you are unahappy with the KJ baskets, buy the Kick Ash Baskets in stead.  They both work.  The cheap knockoffs on amazon work fine too.  I bought one of those to try in my classic and it works fine.  It doesn't have a fit that you would be happy with but functionally, it's 100% fine.

Sorry, I think I have allowed myself to get too dragged into this, I've just tried to answer questions from my experience with it.  I actually am happy with it's functionality and I wouldn't go back to the charcoal grate, hopefully I have made that clear.