kortus3

Kick Ash Basket or Kamado Joe Basket

I just got a KJ basket. I was set to buy the KAB but was talked out of it over the phone by the fella at a particular grill store in Dallas you all may be familiar with. His argument was that the KJ basket is so much more sturdy it’s worth the oddities. The price at the time I purchased was the same, so I assumed the sales rep was giving me some straight talk (actually, the KJ was cheaper bc the KAB didn’t come w a divider, which I had planned on buying at the same time as a KAB). 

I didn’t want to deal with the diffusers sitting in a less than steady manner so I asked for the hooks to be cut off before shipping (I certainly don’t have the tools for such a task, should I have decided to try that on my own). 

I’ll agree that I found it a little odd the basket didn’t fit snug down in the firebox pocket the cast iron grate had been in. I’ll also agree that without the hooks it’s a little tricky to lift the basket out for the ash-shaking, which is half the reason to have a basket. It seems particularly tricky to me to grasp the basket to bring it out if I’m wearing beefy gloves, which I usually am when I’m inside the grill so I’m not getting gunk and ash and soot all over my hands (and then my pants). My biggest concern there is that the basket will slip as I’m picking it up and then bang into the ceramics of the firebox. Time will tell if I’m just being paranoid or not. 

I will also agree that, thus far in my usage the oddities are nothing compared to the sturdiness of the KJ basket. The thing is impressively solid and feels like it is nearly bombproof. As long as it does it’s job and lasts a good long time, I’ll be a happy camper. 

10 hours ago, chris.beard82 said:

Sorry, I think I have allowed myself to get too dragged into this, I've just tried to answer questions from my experience with it.  I actually am happy with it's functionality and I wouldn't go back to the charcoal grate, hopefully I have made that clear.  

I appreciate your experience here. This is not a trivial accessory.  I have the Big Joe and the price of the basket equates to about 7% of the total price of the grill.  For that money, I expect an excellent fit right out of the box.

20 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

How old are your KABs?

I've had mine up to searing temps almost weekly since purchasing it over a year ago and its still fine

3 years old now.  They were bought in early 2015 when the 2nd version came out.   They started warping after the 2nd year.  I’ve hammered them down flat with a mallet twice.  I can’t hammer them too much more or they’ll start to fail.  

$300 bucks for two Big Joe Baskets for less than 3-years of service.  I feel a little disillusioned with the KAB brand.  The 3rd version might have improved with the straight bars at the bottom of the basket.  I have the older version with the spiral bars at the bottom.  I’m one of dozens of people with warped KAB baskets. 

KJ should redesign their basket with hands and ditch the idea of the basket hooking into the D&C.   There’s no rationale reason or need for the Charcoal basket to hook into the D&C. 

23 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

KJ should redesign their basket with hands and ditch the idea of the basket hooking into the D&C.   There’s no rationale reason or need for the Charcoal basket to hook into the D&C. 

This could be a dumb question, but, wouldnt cutting the handles of your KJ basket void its warrenty?

I know there probably isnt much that could go wrong with it but if you get 10months into its use and a weld cracks or it warps, you'd not be covered

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

This could be a dumb question, but, wouldnt cutting the handles of your KJ basket void its warrenty?

I know there probably isnt much that could go wrong with it but if you get 10months into its use and a weld cracks or it warps, you'd not be covered

I didn’t ask the question.  You accidentally quoted the wrong person.  I can’t imagine anything would go wrong in the first year.  The warping problems didn’t show-up in the 2nd Gen Kick ash baskets until they were 24 months old.  Long past the warranty period.  The kick ash basket is nowhere near as robust at the KJ basket. 

Sorry to revive an old thread...

but I am in the market for a basket with a divider. Are there any non KJ baskets with a divider that are “worth it”?

I say non KJ because those seem to have some issues from reading this thread.

thx 

1 hour ago, Mccaf said:

but I am in the market for a basket with a divider. Are there any non KJ baskets with a divider that are “worth it”?

thx 

What issues do you have with the KJ basket?  It's divider will go in either direction.

2 hours ago, Mccaf said:

thx 

If youre refering to the hooks on the basket, I think you'll find thats more a personal presence thing than an actual design flaw

I have a KABs in both my Kamados and theyre great, a friend of mine has the KJ basket in his BJ and he has no complaints

Only reason i went the KAB over the KJ is i liked the handles the KAB has more than the hooks that KJ uses

Just personal preference

Aside from that, they do the same thing and are worth the money

If needing a handle to lift it out, and the hooks were in the way of the deflectors, The simple solution would be to bend the hooks inwards and use them as handles.  At least that would be my plan when my KAB finally burns out and has to be replaced.:-D

I bought the Onlyfire charcoal basket for my Kamado Joe Big Joe. I bought it based on price—it was the least costly. It has a divider, fits fine and works fine. I don't know how it compares to other products because it's the only one I've used.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:47 PM, Polar Bear said:

If youre refering to the hooks on the basket, I think you'll find thats more a personal presence thing than an actual design flaw

I have a KABs in both my Kamados and theyre great, a friend of mine has the KJ basket in his BJ and he has no complaints

Only reason i went the KAB over the KJ is i liked the handles the KAB has more than the hooks that KJ uses

Just personal preference

Aside from that, they do the same thing and are worth the money

On 9/16/2019 at 5:16 PM, BURGER MEISTER said:

If needing a handle to lift it out, and the hooks were in the way of the deflectors, The simple solution would be to bend the hooks inwards and use them as handles.  At least that would be my plan when my KAB finally burns out and has to be replaced.:-D

Will both baskets allow for the deflectors in the low position, as in the D&C system?