Smokey Sam

Akorn Jr. has a new cart

While checking Wally World's website before going to go to purchase some lump charcoal I  came across this ad. So I took some measurements of the Jr. and off  I went. Well after measuring I knew that the Jr. would fit it this smoker cart.. Once I put it together I took a measurement of the opening of the top and off to Home Depot. Purchase 1/2 plywood (1/2 fits perfectly in the channel around the opening with out any fasheners) and had it cut to size at a cost $12. Used my Sabre saw to cut out the hole for the Jr., then I cut it in half. It works perfectly the only negative (which is small) is I have to remove the top to have easy access to the latches that hold the ash tray. Some of the pluses are a sturdy cart that once I remove the Jr. i'ts light enough to put it in the back of my pickup (for camping), a space for putting tools , a shelf and a bottle opener on the front leg just in case I need to open a cold one while cooking. A good deal for spending  a $100 plus tax.   

Smokey Sam

smoker 1IMG_2062 (002).JPG

smoker 2IMG_2064 (002).jpg

smoker3IMG_2123.jpg

Very nice, I love your idea.

Have you noticed any difference in how it gets air with the bottom vent inside the cabinet?

It seems to take a little longer to get up to temp, that being said if I turn the cart towards a breeze it works  like it would if  it was not in the cart The bottom vent is  3 inches from the opening. Have not done a low and slow  yet ( just had rotator  cuff surgery) might try a pork roast this weed end if the weather is good. I have done steaks and hamburgs with no problem

I agree that this is a beautiful cart.  For my Akorn Jr., I use a stainless steel mesh basket insert for the charcoal, and just lift it out, shake it over an ash bucket, and replenish with new charcoal as needed.  Rarely ever need to unlatch the bottom ash basket.  

WP_20180809_001.jpg

15 minutes ago, Jbird said:

More details on this cart? What’s the name of the grill you used?

It's called      Expert Grill Heavy Duty 24-Inch Charcoal Grill model # BC288  and the Walmart #  556307420

Smokey Sam

Great looking finished cart.  I'm sure someone around here can suggest a source for a maple, cherry or walnut board for that side table (using the money you saved, of course).

7 hours ago, daninpd said:

Great looking finished cart.  I'm sure someone around here can suggest a source for a maple, cherry or walnut board for that side table (using the money you saved, of course).

I now use this trivet that I  made over 10 years ago. Once I'm done with rehab I will look into making a side board that maybe has a cork trivet in it.

trivet IMG_2159.jpg

Edited by Smokey Sam
to change wording