Yazamitaz

First time firing up a pizza on the Akorn

Well last week the weather broke here in NJ. It wasn't raining or 97 degree with 98% humidity. A buddy had just done a pizza on his Akorn and it inspired me to give it a try. I have been using the following recipe for homemade pizza for about 2 years now and it has served me well: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe-1921714

As I have been lurking and reading as much as possible and getting great advice from many of your posts I decided to set up my cook area to bring the pizza stone off of the grill grates and higher in the dome.

IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.ced12c7cd6c13bd1ab48bd97788cdbad.JPG

I built a basic volcano with lump and started it with a wax cube. I have the vents wide open. When the temp hit around 400 I shut the top down to 2 and the bottom to 2. I hit my desired temp and shut her down to the half moon at the top and the screw at the bottom.

IMG_2386.thumb.JPG.fcf760386c8f9cec597320fc754e8605.JPG

Here is the margherita pizza assembled and ready to hit the stone.

IMG_2382.thumb.JPG.0b07cd80b20c2ebc3e500bf6a046e07c.JPG

Here is the finished result. I know the picture doesn't do it justice but the crust had a great crunch and all of the toppings were melted and cooked perfectly. This is the first time I have ever made a homemade pizza where it didn't need to be assembled and cooked in stages so the crust crisped up and the toppings were cooked and melted. My family LOVED this pizza. It had a great hint of smoke which resembled what you would get in a wood fired pizza in a restaurant.

IMG_2391.thumb.JPG.1282019cd90f49080652f15cfc543cff.JPG

The dough recipe I provided above yields about 3 12 oz dough balls for you to work with. We also made two pepperoni pizzas but you can only upload so many pics. I will show them in a comment to this thread. I will NEVER make a homemade pizza in the over ever again. We loved this and plan on doing this more often.

Yep - that is how you do that!  Looks great! 

I remember my first Kamado pizza and realizing there was no turning back as well.  We do have a Blackstone that does most if the pizza cooks now, but at the end of the day, I still prefer the Kamado cooks for best results.  

The set up is kind of rag tag to be honest. I have the Akorn smoking stone on top of the grates. I then have some grate that came with a stove I bought (I think) some years ago and a 20 yr old Pampered Chef pizza stone on that. Yes Happy I was trying to get the pizza higher into the dome so I didn't have to cook the pizza in stages and it worked well. If I ever come across something that is higher than the rack I have I may buy it but this worked well for me

I found a stainless expander cooking grate on Amazon that sits 3.5" above the cast iron grate and looks to be just the right size, and it's round too so the pizza stone should be pretty stable I'm thinking.  I'm going to try your method of putting the smoking stone on the cast iron and the pizza stone on the expander grate and see how that goes.  Any time I see pics where someone puts the pizza stone directly on the cast iron grate the crust looks burnt, but yours looked just about right. 

I just got my Akorn and really want to try my luck on pizza soon. Can you put the pizza directly on the smoking stone under the grate, or should you put it more on top like this? Could you just put the smoking stone on some kind of rack and get it up off the grates and have the same affect?  Thanks for any suggestions.