Sign in to follow this  
ptmd

How do you get to 800F?

Honestly, if I want my Kamado roaring hot and over 700 degrees, I find charcoal briquettes work better than lump. 

I just did pizza tonight night and I actually had a An easy time getting it over 700. 

For my keg, it all about the bottom vent (airflow).  With the top vent wide open, and the bottom vent wide open, but with the safety screen, it will rise over 800...but takes a little longer to get there.

As soon as slide the bottom vent safety screen over (so the vent is completely wide open), it easy accelerates up (and beyond) 800 very quickly.

Oh yeah...and much easier with a brand new batch of lump (no leftovers).

yeah - i think using new coals is important... i think i used some left overs and small bits - those small bits dont really help

15 hours ago, ptmd said:

yeah - i think using new coals is important... i think i used some left overs and small bits - those small bits dont really help

do you have a Kick-ash basket (or equivalent)?

that made a big difference for me for re-using the coals.

Not sure why you need the kamado up to 800 for any cook including  pizza i have cooked pizza just fine at 500 and up and like was said at that temp it can get away from you if your at 800 in the dome your at least 1400 and up at the bottom of your kamado the higher dome temp goes the higher the bottom of your kamado will be

On 8/13/2018 at 3:53 AM, KamadoJosephine said:

do you have a Kick-ash basket (or equivalent)?

that made a big difference for me for re-using the coals.

no - probably next investment.

trying to find a rotissiere for the PBK24

If there is hesitation in going to 800, what do you do when you clean your grills?  I dump a bag Royal Oak in my Big Joe, light it and let it rip wide open for the afternoon.  I set the heat deflectors on the top of the grill grate, and when its done, everything is nice and clean.  When I have done that, I have seen the temp hold at 850-900 for an hour.

On 8/10/2018 at 8:03 PM, ptmd said:

Hi All

How do you get your kamado to 800F+?  

pTmd

By being hell brave. At that temp just burping the Kamado becomes an event. If your goal is to do pizza that high regularly then your best off with a cooker dedicated to that temperature range like a WFO or Blackstone as ckreef mentioned.  I know when I get up around 650-700 I need to keep my eye on it. 

Flashbacks and fireballs are very serious.  

On 8/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, Golf Griller said:

I light a fire then . . .

On 8/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, mbellot said:

Leave top and bottom vents open and then get distracted. :rofl:

Works for me every time I'm trying to get hot for a 550-600 pizza cook.

I normally notice when the flames start coming out the top vent especially when I realise my deflector and pizza stone are in place.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:51 AM, ptmd said:

thanx! 

i got it to 700F last night.. i wanted to get to 750 at least, every time i opened the lid... it dropped.. but stayed on average at 650f

When you are running really not like that, there is a huge differrence in temperature at the grate vs the dome.  Maybe as much as 200f difference.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:46 PM, cwhuling said:

If there is hesitation in going to 800, what do you do when you clean your grills?  I dump a bag Royal Oak in my Big Joe, light it and let it rip wide open for the afternoon.  I set the heat deflectors on the top of the grill grate, and when its done, everything is nice and clean.  When I have done that, I have seen the temp hold at 850-900 for an hour.

Sorry I stole your fortune cookie. It said "Baware of cracked ceramics in your future!" 

On 8/29/2018 at 12:46 PM, cwhuling said:

That's a huge waste of charcoal and unnecessary stress on the kamado... let me explain why....

High temperature self cleaning on a kamado grill serves ONE purpose.  That is to burn out any residual grease left behind from cooking.  It is NOT for the purpose of turning the inside of your grill white again.  The residual grease that is left behind in your grill will start burning off as white smoke as the temperature rises.  Bringing that temperature up above 600-650 in the dome is wasteful.  You don't really even need to go above 500f.  600-650 will get the job done in 15-20 minutes and 500 will usually get it done in 30.  You can shut the grill down as soon as you don't see any more white smoke.   

On 8/30/2018 at 2:49 PM, John Setzler said:

That's a huge waste of charcoal and unnecessary stress on the kamado... let me explain why....

High temperature self cleaning on a kamado grill serves ONE purpose.  That is to burn out any residual grease left behind from cooking.  It is NOT for the purpose of turning the inside of your grill white again.  The residual grease that is left behind in your grill will start burning off as white smoke as the temperature rises.  Bringing that temperature up above 600-650 in the dome is wasteful.  You don't really even need to go above 500f.  600-650 will get the job done in 15-20 minutes and 500 will usually get it done in 30.  You can shut the grill down as soon as you don't see any more white smoke.   

This is good to know.  Thanks!

On 8/31/2018 at 1:22 AM, ckreef said:

Sorry I stole your fortune cookie. It said "Baware of cracked ceramics in your future!" 

I agree!!

I cracked mine due to that, and the local Oz disty ordered a replacement dome.  It was taking too long, so they ended up giving me a whole new Kamado!!!