dirty6

Who needs an oven?

Driving home today, the wife starts lamenting that she will have to heat the house up in order to make dinner bc it requires the oven. This can be painful in an older South Carolina house with an AC system that struggles to keep up.

So I ask for the cook plan...oven roast some chicken breast tenders, roast a poblano with the chicken...chunk the chicken, chop the poblano, roll that into some tortillas with homemade (yesterday) salsa verde and rice, pop back into the oven for rock star enchiladas. 

Well hell, I says...Ginger (read: Kamado Joe) can do all that. 

And Ginger in fact did all that, without heating up the house even a bit. 

2D97274C-2BE8-4170-BCFC-8DB3CDF5AB3B.jpeg

1ACB5A15-3FF2-4C37-8514-BEC4F4920BED.jpeg

3DF7D907-92AA-4E27-946B-65848304DB0C.jpeg

1A70BAC7-5DC2-463E-92DB-131D8ED5E81F.jpeg

BEA1E303-0CE1-4AF2-8E94-B744D3C18B50.jpeg

C40158B7-3302-499B-B493-BDD4F2314941.jpeg

Very nice!!!

Can you pass one of those this way please?

yep my saying is if you can fix it in the oven, it can be done better in a kamado.  I fire mine up quite a bit to keep the heat out of the house.

Absolutely, hot and humid here in North Carolina and AC is 18 years old struggling to keep up.  We cook outside a lot just to keep the oven off!!

Great looking meal. There is a member of the KK forum that redid his kitchen and didn't even install an oven. Figured he would just cook all that outside on his KK's. 

With 3 kamados and a WFO I rarely use my indoor oven. 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Great looking meal. There is a member of the KK forum that redid his kitchen and didn't even install an oven. Figured he would just cook all that outside on his KK's. 

Wife and I have made noises about one day growing into a tiny house or some other type of small cabin once kids are grown and gone. One idea I've considered along those lines is going oven -less and relying on a kamado...or a collection of them!

11 minutes ago, dirty6 said:

Wife and I have made noises about one day growing into a tiny house or some other type of small cabin once kids are grown and gone. One idea I've considered along those lines is going oven -less and relying on a kamado...or a collection of them!

Yea me and Mrs skreef have given some thought to that exact same idea.. A small cabin with an awesome view. 

Slowly getting all my grills together now while we're making the bank. 

Just now, ckreef said:

Yea me and Mrs skreef have given some thought to that exact same idea.. A small cabin with an awesome view. 

Slowly getting all my grills together now while we're making the bank. 

I’m all about minimizing the house and getting rid of crap. I am a big believer in small bedrooms (don’t do much else other than sleep in there) and a decent bathroom/closet. As a family we spend all our time in the kitchen/dining/living room space, so why not make that nearly the entire house and forget the rest?

My problem is what to do with the ‘adventure’ stuff. I’d also like garage space for 2x cars, a teardrop travel trailer, kayaks, maybe some shop tools........something to clean the snow off the drive with......at this point my damned garage is three times the size of my house. Where do you hide that? (underground is my primary idea, but we aren’t telling momma about that crazy notion yet). 

As an added bonus, with or without my SmartFire, my Kamado holds temp better and more accurately than the oven anyway. I can slowly see a lot more of our baking moving outside especially as Jr showed he was quite good as an oven as well.

I hate heating up the house and working against the AC during 100* weather.  People don't believe me when I tell them I cook full meals on my kamado and gasser outdoors. When I tell them I bake desserts in the kamado they freak out. It's rare for our oven to be turned on more than a couple times a month in the summer months.

My bottom oven holds grill accessories. The top one is used to sometimes warm food and bake in the winter.

We do have a toaster oven that gets used daily for everything from breakfasts to frozen pizzas. 

At least for me, kamados essentially replaced our ovens. I am sure charcoal is more expensive than 220v, but the kamados are more fun, taste better, and have zero chance of heating or smelling up the house. My house is sealed so well that vent fans are not super helpful, so the general transition to outside is fantastic. 

On 8/12/2018 at 7:13 PM, ckreef said:

What is an indoor over? :blink:

Is that the thing we use when the Kamado is frozen shut once or twice a winter while I defrost the Kamado?