Chasdev

Cooked my first pork belly yesterday, now what do I do with it?

Picked up a Costco belly around 11lbs and followed Michael Simon's recipe with a vinegar/mustard based sauce followed by his dry rub, slow cooked it over FOGO and hickory for 7hrs at 225/250.

It came out perfectly tender with not nearly as much fat as I was thinking BUT after slicing into "bacon" strips, it's pretty tasteless.

The bark with the spices tastes good but there's not enough in each bite to infuse flavor to the rest of the bite.

I tried salt and pepper on some slices but they still lack "flavor identity".

I'm on a 99% sugar free diet which rules out most BBQ sauce offerings (and besides, how many times can I eat it with BBQ sauce?), SO what flavor profiles/dishes can I use to kick this thing up a notch or 7?

So far I found Pork Vindaloo, Chinese CharSiu belly and a belly/cabbage/chicken broth soup.

Edited by Chasdev

Well, I just did pork belly for the first time recently, so not sure I have any good advice. I think you’ve got a few good ideas. 

If you season the slices and pan sear maybe that will render a bit of the fat and crisp it up a bit and add some depth of flavor without getting too fancy. 

There's not a tremendous amount of fat left, in fact I wish I had made bacon as there's more than 50% meat to fat left.

Also, I cooked it longer and a bit hotter than what the recipe called for and rendered a lot of it out.

It reminds me of a fatty pork butt, I wish I had injected it now...

Before cooking it looked like a large slab of fat, but there was a ton of meat hiding in there.

Edited by Chasdev

My brother in law is a chef, and while I often give side eye and many of his pronouncements, he does make good pork belly. He never slices it, only cubes it. That way you'll always get a good surface of seasoning with each bite.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:38 PM, mikep said:

I like to cube it while raw and roll in rub. Cook until tender then glaze it with bbq sauce until it sets. They are good. 

8D42B9F6-CA65-4D6F-888A-D308A51E4B74.jpeg

Those look amazing, I don't even know what they are! Gonna have to look into this pork belly...