ckreef

Primo Oval Jr w/ GO Cradle

After the WFO oven I swore no more grills but Mrs skreef learned not to believe that line of crap a few grills ago - LOL 

For the last few years me and Mrs skreef have been taking an Akorn Jr on vacation with us. Our honeymoon, rental cabin, sisters house, the beach, even NASCAR. The Akorn Jr has served us well but when Primo came out with the GO Cradle for their Oval Jr I knew I would eventually get that setup.

We had that lunar eclipse a couple of weeks ago and it made my wallet have a mind of it's own (that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;))     Well it finally arrived at my local dealer and I picked it up yesterday. 

pjr1.thumb.jpg.6ac058720d901d02cb42a8a839faa631.jpg

pjr2.thumb.jpg.a6e4dcd91957903e0c1b98a5776499c4.jpg

pjr3.thumb.jpg.1595fa9131fb2e2dd30832cd3b004c92.jpg

The inner workings and a few extra parts. 

pjr4.thumb.jpg.b5fd4fca77023883dd3ba4233d01d88d.jpg

Here is the GO Cradle. 9 bolts/nuts and about 10 minutes to assemble. Fairly study with nice two hand handles. 

pjr5.thumb.jpg.be93112050f3cb553ba062d5b04e59dc.jpgpjr6.thumb.jpg.07a10e2d2ac29f0f9f38f84c56c090a0.jpg

Altogether now. 

pjr7.thumb.jpg.342e1ec11c629161fa0d8bcabfaaf3a1.jpg

pjr8.thumb.jpg.62a3004d0c5db3bfa93fe9ef54aaf9ed.jpg

I had some time before dinner so I fired it up to play with the vents. First stop was low-n-slow. 240* was easy enough. I let it ride there for almost 2 hours until we were done eating dinner. After that I bumped it up a bit and let it ride there for 30 minutes or so before shutting down the vents and going to bed. Very pleased with it's performance and will be cooking dinner on it tonight. It's basically Jr on steroids..... 

pjr9.thumb.jpg.431246f0b93af3609b2a71b8487f358c.jpg

pjrf.thumb.jpg.fd0f9ba200d20c6282598823f0c905af.jpg

13 minutes ago, philpom said:

Awesome, congrats!  I'm curious how it is to move around.  Certainly more real estate to play with than a round Jr. 

If I remember correctly this setup is listed at 116 lbs. Doable with 2 people. Wouldn't want to trek it through the woods so to speak but a normal distance from car to landing spot, no problem. The GO Cradle has decent sized handles which definitely helps. And yes way more real estate than the Akorn Jr. Holds a full sized foil drip pan on the deflector racks so anything but XL packers is going to work. 

11 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

:congrats:on the new grill. How much head room from grate to dome?

Scott

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to give you a decent measurement, dinner is currently cruising along in it. :) 

It's a reasonably high dome. I'll check it out tomorrow. 

On 8/16/2018 at 7:45 PM, Scott Roberts said:

:congrats:on the new grill. How much head room from grate to dome?

Scott

Made a quick measurement tonight. With the main grates in the high position there is about 8" clearance in there. With the main grates in the low position it's about 9 1/2".

7 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

Good amount of headroom!

I think so too especially coupled with the oval length. I think Primo was onto something with an oval kamado. Less wasted circular space - if that makes any sense. 

It's okay if I'm jealous, isn't it?  Did not see this before with company and all, but I really like the looks of that Jr.  The Primo XL was always too big for me and just sits in my grilling area so I need to clean it up and try to sell it.  Anyway, great to see this in action.  You should probably update us with a picture of your Bistro :).

6 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

It's okay if I'm jealous, isn't it?  Did not see this before with company and all, but I really like the looks of that Jr.  The Primo XL was always too big for me and just sits in my grilling area so I need to clean it up and try to sell it.  Anyway, great to see this in action.  You should probably update us with a picture of your Bistro :).

It's a bit crowded these days. Actually thought of you yesterday in relation to this kamado. Thought it would be a perfect kamado for the way you cook. Just enough extra space (compared to the Akorn Jr) to be a much more usable setup while still keeping the Jr size. 

That base system is awesome, I could see ending up with one at some point. Right now, the Akorn Jr and small griddle (along with DeWalt tough system trolley, cooler, and radio) have combined to make a killer portable system for us. I am more comfortable cooking in a park now than I was cooking at home two years ago. 

I'm considering this same setup to compliment my primo xl and use for tailgates etc. My main question is cooling it down for transport. My xl will stay hot for hours after I shut it down. what do you do here to make this more portable if you're just doing a day cook?

If I remember correctly this setup is listed at 116 lbs. Doable with 2 people. Wouldn't want to trek it through the woods so to speak but a normal distance from car to landing spot, no problem. The GO Cradle has decent sized handles which definitely helps. And yes way more real estate than the Akorn Jr. Holds a full sized foil drip pan on the deflector racks so anything but XL packers is going to work.