ckreef

Primo Oval Jr w/ GO Cradle

3 hours ago, lincag said:

I'm considering this same setup to compliment my primo xl and use for tailgates etc. My main question is cooling it down for transport. My xl will stay hot for hours after I shut it down. what do you do here to make this more portable if you're just doing a day cook?

Mine with a Smokeware Chimney Cap has no air leaks what's so ever. It'll snuff out coals in 30-60 minutes depending on how hot it was. 

For tailgating let's assume 450-500" grilling. 1 hour to shut down the coals. Then another hour with the dome open to bleed the heat off. 

I haven't taken this particular kamado tailgating yet. Might depend on your vehicle. In a pickup truck I could see leaving almost immediately. Putting it in an SUV probably 2-3 hours after you shut it down. 

6 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

@lincag They have the Kick Ash Basket for your size Primo and you can pull out the charcoal and that should help cool down the kamado, here is an example of what I mean.

Unfortunately they don't have a kickashbasket for the Primo Oval Jr. If they ever come out with one I'll be the first in line to buy it. 

6 hours ago, ckreef said:

Unfortunately they don't have a kickashbasket for the Primo Oval Jr. If they ever come out with one I'll be the first in line to buy it. 

@ckreef Have you inquired about it with Chad?  

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

No. It's never been listed on their site and I've never seen one on the internet. 

I enquired and he responded that it's something they are thinking about.  Figured the more people that enquire the better chances of them producing them.

6 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

I enquired and he responded that it's something they are thinking about.  Figured the more people that enquire the better chances of them producing them.

I had a friend of his put a bug in his ear about a Oval Jr basket maybe 3 weeks ago. Figured he would listen more to his friend than me. 

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger on it. Looking forward to the XL/JR combo and figuring out the portable game. Appreciate the feedback and will send a message on the kick ash basket as well. 

34 minutes ago, lincag said:

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger on it. Looking forward to the XL/JR combo and figuring out the portable game. Appreciate the feedback and will send a message on the kick ash basket as well. 

Congratulations. Your going to love it. It's a very capable grill. I use mine all the time. On June 8th it's going on vacation with me to my sister's house in FL. 

@lincag congrats and sorry about previous post should have read your post better I was thinking you wanted one for the XL not you wanting info on a Jr and how to cool fast for tailgating. That used to get me in trouble in School skimming a paragraph to fast missing vital info-LOL. And @ckreef are you using the Primo more than either KK since you got it? 

Scott

4 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

@lincag

And @ckreef are you using the Primo more than either KK since you got it? 

Scott

My kamados all have a main purpose. But I do deviate at times. 

Oval Jr is mainly for side dishes. 

16" KK for searing. 

19" KK for main protein. 

17 hours ago, ckreef said:

My kamados all have a main purpose. But I do deviate at times. 

Oval Jr is mainly for side dishes. 

16" KK for searing. 

19" KK for main protein. 

Basically my goal above (outside of something portable for all day track meets or swim meets with the kids when I need to keep myself busy). I had a small BGE when I upgraded to the primo xl and I’ve always regretted letting it go. It’s not a need but it sure is nice to be smoking a brisket and throw sides on or another meat without having to make room. 

Will see how it goes but the thought is seafood/sides/poultry for the jr and all things hearty for the xl. 

I like the the thought of searing on the jr for reverse sears though. Good idea Ck. Thanks for the feedback guys.