John Setzler

Kamado Guru Moving to Facebook - January 1, 2019

27 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Traffic here has been in a steady decline over the last three years.  The peak months this summer have seen right at half the traffic we saw in the peak months two years ago.  I am closing the .com forum because I do not want to foot the bill for it anymore. I hear all of you who have said you would like to contribute.  I had a voluntary support subscription option availabe here for quite some time.  It was successful in the beginning and then tapered off to a trickle over time and then dwindled to the point where it wasnt bringing in enough to even cover the cost of the software options I was buying to handle the transactions.  I am not willing to start taking contributions again at this point.  I am sorry that it cant be successful.  

If someone else would like to start a forum like this one and build it the way I built this one, please feel free.  I am not going to turn over control of this forum’s data to another entity to administer.  That is not open for discussion.

That’s unfortunate.  There’s definitely a generation gap.  It’s getting increasing more difficult to get millennials engaged in forums.  It’s part of what’s huritng the traffic.  

You’re the owner of the site and any content posted on the KG forum.  Forum membership will have to respect that.  You also put a lot time and effort into the site.  That counts for something.  

It didn’t hurt to ask.  I realize a lot of people who are committed supporters are passionate about their content and shared recipes.  

Life will go on.  We’ll find a way forward.  

Thank you for all of your hard work over the past 6 years building the KG forum.  

No quarrels here about the decision, I resisted joining Facebook for many years but decided to do so for business purposes over a year ago, it's not as bad as some make it out to be. FWIW, I've felt this move is long overdue, I know some of you don't like the change and won't follow but that won't stop KG from being successful at its new location, can't blame John for realizing that this platform is dying and there are other means to keep Kamado Guru up. For those that won't be participating after the move, best of luck to you. I will miss some of the long time members like Mr/Mrs Reef and the like, I've learned so much from you all and appreciate the personal connections we've made. 

5 hours ago, John Setzler said:

If someone else would like to start a forum like this one and build it the way I built this one, please feel free. 

LOL so you're giving someone permission to start a website from scratch?  Wow.  I didn't realise we needed your permission.  I'll call GoDaddy now and advise them of this new hoop they're going to have to jump through when selling domain names...

5 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I am not going to turn over control of this forum’s data to another entity to administer.  That is not open for discussion.

I get not turning over email addresses, uids, pwds; but taking your content and going home is (oh that's right, this is a "family friendly" forum) rather disappointing.

I'm far from the most active poster here, but there are users who've devoted countless hours of love and joy and failure and happiness into their posts, and to just shut it down is, in my opinion, the epitome of disrespect.  Yes, I know you own it and no one is discounting the massive amount of work you've put into this wonderful site, but this is like coming home from work one evening and finding a note from your other half saying "I've met someone else, his name's Mark and I'm leaving you for him on 1 Jan - have a nice life".

I suspect a high percentage of the members are here because they don’t want to be on Facebook and won't follow over to Facebook. There is a whole other group of people that are active Facebook users who couldn't be bothered with forums. I'm sure Kamado Guru Facebook will be a success just with a different audience. 

As another old “non-facebooker” guy,  thanks John.  You made my entrance into the Kamado world easier.and a lot of fun.  While I cannot follow you into the future, I can respect you for the efforts in the past.  Will miss all my Kamado Guru friends and wish them well.  I have been proud to tell both friends and strangers about this great site and am sure that I was responsible for at least a few sign ups.  At least I get to keep my KG apron.

With a heavy heart I will be signing off in December...

I don't know if anyone else knows about this but a lot of the content will be archived here 

https://archive.org/web/

https://web.archive.org/web/20180224071632/https://www.kamadoguru.com/

Hope this helps if there is content you may still need access to in the future

It's a shame a notification of take down can't be passed to these guys just to make sure the full content doesn't dissappear forever

I am a Facebook user but, in my opinion, the strength of forums over it is the large archive of information they contain. I am disappointed that this won't be available going forward and will actively seek another forum. I have enjoyed my time here. 

10 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Traffic here has been in a steady decline over the last three years.  The peak months this summer have seen right at half the traffic we saw in the peak months two years ago.  I am closing the .com forum because I do not want to foot the bill for it anymore. I hear all of you who have said you would like to contribute.  I had a voluntary support subscription option availabe here for quite some time.  It was successful in the beginning and then tapered off to a trickle over time and then dwindled to the point where it wasnt bringing in enough to even cover the cost of the software options I was buying to handle the transactions.  I am not willing to start taking contributions again at this point.  I am sorry that it cant be successful.  

If someone else would like to start a forum like this one and build it the way I built this one, please feel free.  I am not going to turn over control of this forum’s data to another entity to administer.  That is not open for discussion.

That was the response I was expecting. Sad day!

I haven't been around long, just a couple years, but the general vibe around here has been to share information with each other to help folks along their way. That includes John's great information and awesome videos that he has posted on this site. It's unfortunate the spirit of sharing doesn't translate into passing along this information on the forum to someone else willing to take on the burden to finance and run a new forum. Maybe John has other plans for it but if it just evaporates that is truly short-sited and unfortunate.

In any case, I'll continue to be active on the .com until John puts her out to pasture. I am going to try and save some of the great recipes and informational posts along the way.B)

I discovered the you tube site Man Cave Meals when I was researching Kamado's and am so thankful for all the info that you imparted onto me(us) over they years. From that channel I was directed to the KG forum and been a member since.  I went from being a non cook to being the main chef at our home(my wife loves you for this).

I just want to thank you so much

Paul

Edited by Paul
grammer

-been mulling over a reasonable response. By far I am not the most active one who posts. That's not my way. I will say, that I think that  despite a weakness in numbers the best information I have ever gotten has been in the last two years. Viewed some other forums and consider this one to be the "Gold Standard" if you will.

I have recommended the site to many, many cookers-knowing that they would benefit by joining up. And hard to believe, but they were "millennials"  I have run into a couple and they had nothing but good to say....

So my displeasure is on me.

I let my guard down, put stock in a site that I never felt would just go away.

I.e. when I find value in something these days I back it up somehow. I don't envision that can be the case losing this KG forum and the great people on it. No to Facebook.

M.

I want to echo those who have praised John's work in bringing us together and providing a bunch of glue. I found Kamado Guru at the right time; several years of knowledge had accrued, and I got to spend 18 months talking about it. I also thank you all who have participated!. 

At the same time, Kamados are niche barbecue. John gave it a go, but his statistics support a need for change. I want to be clear that we all owe @John Setzler a debt of gratitude for enabling all these many Kamado conversations.

Thank you,

Frank

^^^what fbov said.   And with that being said, I use FB on a regular basis (retired and bored) and have viewed the Kamado Joe FB page.   I hope it's not the someone that John is directing people to because, if it is, I will also be not in attendance.   My impression of that particular page are this.   Lots of good information, and lots of ###holes troll it.   Moderators are not very attentive and if they were, there would be lots of guys banned.  At times the language is just barroom vulgar.   Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint but believe a public forum is not the place for it.