Jump to content

John Setzler

Kamado Guru Moving to Facebook - January 1, 2019

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

^^^what fbov said.   And with that being said, I use FB on a regular basis (retired and bored) and have viewed the Kamado Joe FB page.   I hope it's not the someone that John is directing people to because, if it is, I will also be not in attendance.   My impression of that particular page are this.   Lots of good information, and lots of ###holes troll it.   Moderators are not very attentive and if they were, there would be lots of guys banned.  At times the language is just barroom vulgar.   Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint but believe a public forum is not the place for it.  

 

I'm sure John is setting up his own FB page. A Kamado Guru FB page not the KJ FB page. John also runs a family friendly environment so I'm positive that kind of behavior will not be tolerated. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see there are several people that appreciate John for what he started here. I for one got into this about 5 years ago and if it were not for this forum I cannot say I would still be the "Guru" that I am. I've learned a lot from the good people on this forum including John and I think the man should be celebrated for what he started instead of ridiculed for whatever reason he does not want to continue. THANK YOU JOHN!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprising news! I am very new here so I just want to say this is dissapointing to hear. I'd like to thank everyone here, especially John, for sharing all the years of kamado experience and info. I may or may not attempt to follow on Facebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ckreef said:

I'm sure John is setting up his own FB page. A Kamado Guru FB page not the KJ FB page. John also runs a family friendly environment so I'm positive that kind of behavior will not be tolerated. 

 

Then if that is so, I will very much look forward to joining John and his FB page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Cat 305 said:

I think the man should be celebrated for what he started instead of ridiculed for whatever reason he does not want to continue. THANK YOU JOHN!!!! 

 

I'm glad you posted that, as I was one of the people who expressed disappointment in the decision to close the page.

 

Just so we're clear - I am EXTREMELY grateful to John for the work he's done thus far.  This site is excellent, and without him that wouldn't exist, so I hope that clarifies how I feel on that side of things.

 

 

My main gripe was John not releasing the content on the site for someone else to pick up and run with.  As someone else stated, this wasn't particularly surprising, but it was extremely disappointing nonetheless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KamadoJosephine said:

 

I'm glad you posted that, as I was one of the people who expressed disappointment in the decision to close the page.

 

Just so we're clear - I am EXTREMELY grateful to John for the work he's done thus far.  This site is excellent, and without him that wouldn't exist, so I hope that clarifies how I feel on that side of things.

 

 

My main gripe was John not releasing the content on the site for someone else to pick up and run with.  As someone else stated, this wasn't particularly surprising, but it was extremely disappointing nonetheless.

 

This is not open for discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very sad news to me. I am grateful to John for all the work he has put into this site and it is my favorite site, hence the "Lifetime Member", turns out it will be a short lifetime. I have been on several forums that converted to Facebook and not one of them was any good anymore, way too many trolls on FB and impossible to find anyting. I have a FB account but I hate using it and mainly am just on it for my children's posts. I will try the new FB version but I am pretty sure it won't keep me very long. I will also miss all the long time posters that are stating they will not make the switch. Charcoal Addict, if you really try and get a new forum up and running I would love to become a member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2018 at 11:30 AM, Chris Topher said:

I do not -- and will not -- use facebook for a variety of reasons. It is interesting that my sentiment is shared by so many, and that not one poster said, "Oh, good, so looking forward to the move to facebook."

 

I see no response on the reasons for this decision, and, if financially motivated, I, for one, would be more than willing to contribute to keep this forum afloat. I hope other members feel the same way and that we all step up, assuming we can effect a change of heart.

 

In my above post, I failed to express my gratitude to John and the many KG members that made this site one I would visit daily to glean wisdom and knowledge of all things Kamado... as well as a few off-topic pearls.

 

I am assuming that the decision to move to FB is not purely financial, as it seems that many participants in this thread, myself included, expressed willingness to make financial contributions. I didn’t see an effort to crowdfund this site, require subscriptions, or other creative ways to keep this site independent. 

 

Thank you, again, John for this site, and I earnestly wish you all the best for your next chapter!

 

kamado onward...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will miss this place next year.  I have really enjoyed reading and learning from all the great people here.  I want to thank John for hosting such a  great and diverse forum. 

 

I don't like FB but I did join yesterday at my wife's urging simply to be able to follow different kamado groups, and there are quite a few of them. Recipes and techniques can be stored in the file section on the FB page of the group you are a member of.  I will miss all of you who don't migrate to FB and I do hope someone will try to emulate this great forum so I can join it. Good luck and God bless all of you.

 

Thanks again John and the rest of the Kamado Guru members.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

This is very sad news to me. I am grateful to John for all the work he has put into this site and it is my favorite site, hence the "Lifetime Member", turns out it will be a short lifetime. I have been on several forums that converted to Facebook and not one of them was any good anymore, way too many trolls on FB and impossible to find anyting. I have a FB account but I hate using it and mainly am just on it for my children's posts. I will try the new FB version but I am pretty sure it won't keep me very long. I will also miss all the long time posters that are stating they will not make the switch. Charcoal Addict, if you really try and get a new forum up and running I would love to become a member.

 

Back in 2013, I was forced to shutdown a site a spent the better part of 2-years building.  It was very a painful decision.  I know how John feels.  It’s never a simple decision.  There’s always more than one reason involved.  Money is one of only a dozen or more reasons why someone might shutdown a site.

 

I’ve been with KG forum since day one.  I abandoned my own plan to build a new BBQ forum, I wanted to support John and his efforts.  I had developed and planned a General BBQ forum called Mad Charcoal Chefs.  

 

John went a step further by making a niche forum specifically for Kamado users.  I wanted to put my time into helping John build his Kamado community. 

 

I’m in the process of researching the costs and requirements for building a new platform.  I’m talking with several Xenforo developers about costs and capabilities/limitations of their apps.

 

It takes about 3-4 months to build, test, validate a high quality forum.  I’ve seen people bang our forums in 2-3 weeks.  Those rushed forums are often very poorly organized and poorly managed.  

 

If we’re going to build a new Kamado forum, it should well planned, thoughtful and must meet very high design/user friendly standards.  The KG forum is around until the end of the year.  There’s no reason to rush something out the door.  

 

With 3-4 months of work, the community will have a forum we can be proud of and one that promotes community spirit and sharing.  There’s no point building a forum unless it carries forward many of things we all loved about the KG forum. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is kind of a gut punch, pretty sad.  Like other have said, this was the funnel into Kamado cooking for them and I'm no exception.  I truly am grateful for all of John's efforts as well as the KG community and the moderators in maintaining this amazing site.  I'm not into FB but will check it out when it switches over but would be in support of CA's forum if it comes to fruition.  I'm not sure what other options exist besides BGE and KK forums but if anyone is aware of another worthwhile forum, I'd be interested in that as well.  

 

Thanks for everything John and I, like others will plan on enjoying this site until 12/31.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...