Sign in to follow this  
ckreef

Zucchini Gratin

zgr1.thumb.jpg.cb27cb6b178be756aa3514ec4f00a065.jpg

zgr2.thumb.jpg.d886e30a2c3f277459fc792ba73aec64.jpg

Above pictures are a scaled down version for 2 people. 

This is a really good recipe. Easy and almost impossible to screw it up. 

Serves 4 to 6 people. 

Easily scaled down for 2 to 3 people. 

2 pounds fresh zucchini (3-4 medium zucchini), cut into 1/8 inch rounds. 

1/3 cup thin sliced (or diced) sweet onion. 

2 Tbsp Mild olive oil. 

1 tsp herbes de Provence

1 tsp kosher salt 

1 tsp fresh ground black pepper 

1 cup fresh grated Gruyere cheese (or any fresh grated hard cheese) 

Combine the above ingredients in a bowl. Oil a ceramic baking dish and add zucchini mixture. 

4-6 md plum tomatoes (or Roma tomatoes) cut into 1/4" rounds 

Lay the tomato slices overlapping to mostly cover the zucchini. Bake uncovered, indirect at 400* for about 40 minutes until top is bubbling lightly and tomatoes are slightly charred. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. 

Note: this dish will soak up a lot of smoke flavor so try and burn a clean fire (unless you want it Smokey). I warned you. 

I saw you raving about this dish on your Primo Oval Jr cook!  I was hoping you would post the recipe!  And BOOM.... there it was and I didn’t even have to ask. :)

Sometimes you get Christmas in March and August and December!

Thanks, @ckreef!  This is going on the Y2KG bucket list.... To be done before January 1, 2019. ;)

12 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Thanks, @ckreef!  This is going on the Y2KG bucket list.... To be done before January 1, 2019. ;)

This is such an easy can't muck it up cook it needs to be on the menu August 19, 2018 - don't deny yourself. 

14 minutes ago, ckreef said:

This is such an easy can't muck it up cook it needs to be on the menu August 19, 2018 - don't deny yourself. 

You know how encourageable I am....  If someone throws down the gauntlet I’m all over it. This is like driveway tacos all over again, but different. Lol.

August 19, 2018 it is....

34 minutes ago, Smoke and Awe said:

I choose this recipe for my birthday on Monday and know it will be a good one for my 71 years.  Please don't say goodbye!

It's not me Smoke and Awe......... But Nov. 8th is my last day unless something changes. I'll send you me and Mrs skreef's contact info before I go. 

I’m thinking I am going to cut back the recipe a bit. Try to do it on Akorn Jr if my pan will fit. I have a nice enameled CI Balti Pan in mind for this..... just not sure if it’s going to fit on jr.  We shall see what tomorrow brings. I’ll be cooking it one way or the other.... Even if the weather is total garbage and it goes down inside....

3 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

I’m thinking I am going to cut back the recipe a bit. Try to do it on Akorn Jr if my pan will fit. I have a nice enameled CI Balti Pan in mind for this..... just not sure if it’s going to fit on jr.  We shall see what tomorrow brings. I’ll be cooking it one way or the other.... Even if the weather is total garbage and it goes down inside....

The pictures I posted above is the recipe cut back to one zucchini. Just perfect for me and Mrs skreef. 

I'm grilling some chicken this afternoon and will do this as a proper side !!

Thanks for the recipe.

I've seen it on @KismetKamado tribute cook and have to try it.

Thanks for the warning on the smoke absorption....good to know.   Not sure which grill I'll be running....may have Kingsford in play.....I'll likely have it covered with some foil for much of the cook.

Lawd have Mercy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one killer side dish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TegLXJH.jpg

Saved my butt tonight.....bigtime.

I was grilling a chicken in a miser grill and running this side in the oven.

Side was getting way ready ahead of the yardbird.

My bride has a firm dinnatime mapped out as she has to leave a certain time for choir practice tonight.

The grilled yardbird simply wasn't getting there in time.

Gametime audible.

I fired up a skillet inside and took two of her favorite cuts off the grill and breaded them with an impromptu breading and got 'em finished off just in the nick of time.

Reheated two killer sides that she loves........and plated some of your Zuke Gratin....with indecent liberties taken by adding blue cheese to the top....and maybe a tad more Vidalia on the bottom.  

x7y5AJL.jpg

This was the plate she sent back to me........and she eats like a bird.......

JpclTAj.jpg

She made a mighty dent in the gratin !!!!!!!!

q7aNZMf.jpg

Thank you...................we may have  new family favorite here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much respect and many thanks.

@Dub glad the family liked it. It has become one of my favorites and I'm not really fond of zucchini. The blue cheese sounds like a great addition. We love blue cheese and we always have some in the fridge. Will try this option next time.