Will I be happy with a Classic II after owning a Big Joe?

funkahdafi

Hi guys,

a few years ago I bought a Big Joe and was generally happy with it. I bought it because I often had the time for long cooks and cooking for larger groups. However, my life has changed and I just don't have the time anymore it and also I am mostly cooking for myself or a small family of four these days. For that reason, I find myself firing up our Weber Q gas grill 98% of the time while the Big Joe collects dust and mold. 

But I am missing the real fire. And so I was thinking of maybe switching to the new Classic II. In the hopes that I need a much smaller fire in there that I can get to quicker for the kind of cooks I am normally doing on the gas grill (90% direct heat, simple "throw it on, turn it twice and eat" dishes). Will I get there with the Classic II? Or would I be better off with something like a Weber kettle charcoal grill?

It should be simple, quick and easy. As in: I don't have the time do do more. 

Thoughts? I think I may be overshooting with another Kamado. 

47 minutes ago, funkahdafi said:

90% direct heat, simple "throw it on, turn it twice and eat" dishes

I have a KJC 1 and that describes most of my cooks. It is usually my wife and me, but occasionally it is only myself. Being able to shut the grill down and not burn up unused charcoal makes it worth it to me.

I've only had the Big Joe a few months, and find their split grills work fine for smaller cooks. However, I can see something like a Joe Jr. in my future, for the reasons you describe. 

If you're looking for a grill to "flip twice and eat" I suggest an Akorn. Cheap, they heat up fast and a full load of charcoal will last a while. When you find it's limits, you still have the Joe to fall back on. 

HAve fun

Frank

Go with a Weber kettle, or acorn,or Napoleon gas grill. If your not using the big joe you won't use the classic.

The big Joe and classic both take time to heat up  and cool down, just the classic will be faster. 

I could see the the junior or acorn being an option possibly.

What I am reading here is it just seems like you don't have the time or want to allocate the time needed to utilize a ceramic cooker. I completely see where your coming from. There are days I come home and I fire up the gas grill because I don't have time to wait for my Kamado to heat up and cool down. Also my wife won't use the Kamado, she prefers the simplicity of the gas grill.   

Another option would be a Napoleon grill with the charcoal insert. It has a tray you insert with charcoal that uses the gas burners to lift the charcoal so you can use both gas and charcoal on the same grill. Charcoal when you want the flavour yet still have gas when you want that quick cook. 

Some food for thought. 

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Much appreciated. I think I will skip on the Classic II (even though I adore it) and either go with a "normal" kettle or that Napoleon that @odamaK suggested. Really like the idea of having a charcoal grill integrated into a gas grill!

Muchas Gracias!

Have you considered getting a griddle instead of another grill. The Camp Chef 600 https://www.campchef.com/flat-top-grill.html  would give you a regular gas grill with the advantage of having a griddle top as well. I know I use mine almost as much as my Kamaod's for small meals, I just fire up 2 burners for smaller cooks. The griddle top removes, by just picking it up and you have a regular grill underneath. I really like the additional ability to cook with the griddle top.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:34 AM, funkahdafi said:

Hi guys,

a few years ago I bought a Big Joe and was generally happy with it. I bought it because I often had the time for long cooks and cooking for larger groups. However, my life has changed and I just don't have the time anymore it and also I am mostly cooking for myself or a small family of four these days. For that reason, I find myself firing up our Weber Q gas grill 98% of the time while the Big Joe collects dust and mold. 

But I am missing the real fire. And so I was thinking of maybe switching to the new Classic II. In the hopes that I need a much smaller fire in there that I can get to quicker for the kind of cooks I am normally doing on the gas grill (90% direct heat, simple "throw it on, turn it twice and eat" dishes). Will I get there with the Classic II? Or would I be better off with something like a Weber kettle charcoal grill?

It should be simple, quick and easy. As in: I don't have the time do do more. 

Thoughts? I think I may be overshooting with another Kamado. 

Weber kettle has been pretty good for me for the quick cooks. I have the slow n sear in it as well and it's worked out wonderfully. I use my big joe quite often to though

I actually have a KJC1, a Weber Genesis LX 400 gas and a Weber Kettle 22inch with side table, best $250 I have spent. It is my go to on a daily basis. Starts fast, cooks however hot I need it to be and everything always comes out awesome and I still have the flexibility of using lump or briquettes. You can't beat a Weber!!