Sign in to follow this  
BurntBrats

Best bet for baby backs?

Im interested in hearing some opinions on the best way to achieve "fall off the bone" baby backs. I've read a lot of old posts on here and most seem to prefer them a little more stiff. While I tend to agree, my wife likes them falling off, and I aim to please :-)

Ive tried 2-2-1 @ 225 degrees. Would a shorter time at a higher temp achieve what I'm looking for. Or just shorten up that last unfoiled hour?

I'm in the chewy-rib camp; the trick to ribs is trying to get part of the way there...

If you want a softer, butt-like texture, cook it to a higher temperature. As noted, wrapping in foil with liquid and steaming until you like them is one option. Using a low fire, I have done a 3-2-1 approach with the results you seek. Three hours of direct smoke will get you to the stall, about 165F. Then foil them and continue to cook at low temperatures until you like them; it's less than 2 hours. A final finish on the grill will set the sauce. 

I'd only foil one slab...

Frank

When looking for that texture, I loosely follow 3-2-1 with the time intervals being around that proportion but not often that long, when bark sets on the ribs, I then foil with Apple Juice and Apple cider vinegar, then back on the grill to tighten up the outside and then sauce. The bones sometimes pull right out.

I'm in the tug off the bone camp, ribs shouldn't be pulled pork on a stick...