I was happy to be home all day and get to make my own birthday dinner, inspired by @ckreef's zucchini gratin, and @keeperovdeflame's mayo corn.  The pork sirloin chops were marinated in buttermilk, then rinsed and patted dry before applying a garlic and herb rub for a couple of hours.  Sirloin doesn't take long to cook, so I did the gratin first, then the chops with the corn mixture on top.  This is what it's all about. Lovely.

WP_20180820_005.jpg

WP_20180820_008.jpg

WP_20180820_010.jpg

Making the most of Jr, as always!  I'm always amazed at how well you utilize the space.  You are an Akorn Jr. Diva for sure in my book!  Looks like a wonderful meal.  I have recent first hand experience telling me the zucchini gratin was great.  I'm going to need to check out that corn.  Thanks for the inspiring cook and happy birthday - for what few moments of it remain!  :)

I've been waiting for this cook. It looks delicious. 

BTW - happy belated birthday :)

Just curious what did you and the hubby think of the Gratin - and please be honest - I respect your opinion whether positive or negative. Give me the full critique. 

3 hours ago, skreef said:

Great cook @Smoke and Awe. I guess cooking for your Birthday wasn't a bad deal :)... Everything looks great.. Was that a Raspberry ice-cream popcicle? A Nice Treat.

It's my new favorite, the mini-dark chocolate raspberry sorbet ice cream bar from Dove.  Being able to be home and get in some kamado time was definitely a birthday treat.

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

I've been waiting for this cook. It looks delicious. 

BTW - happy belated birthday :)

Just curious what did you and the hubby think of the Gratin - and please be honest - I respect your opinion whether positive or negative. Give me the full critique. 

We both enjoyed the gratin and I finished it off for breakfast.  I might have sliced the zucchini a bit thick, but it cooked up well.  I'm going to try it again with cheddar and the fresh tomatoes, as I really like that combination also.  I did have gruyere cheese on hand but still sealed, and had some asiago that was open so I used that.  Maybe didn't melt as well, but the flavor was there.  It feels like you're eating well, I mean healthy, and it's so good!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Smoke and Awe
      My goal was to get this done last Friday, but life intervened.  However, today is a beautiful Northwest day at the beach, and I could do this with the ingredients I had on hand.  The recipe is for Brazilian Salmon Stew (Moqueca), and I used wild caught Coho Salmon portions, in a braise of chopped garlic, green pepper, onions, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and the surprise ingredient, coconut milk.  The salmon portions were skinless, then marinated in a mixture of lime juice, cumin, sweet paprika, s & p.  I've never skinned salmon before, and it's a good thing I didn't have company as there wasn't enough salmon left for more than 2...

The recipe called for layering the ingredients, but for just us I halved it, so ended up with only one layer, but no problem.  Used my trusty thrift store stoneware pan, no extra smoke.  Had to finish the meal with some garlic parmesan rolls from the freezer.  Like I said, easy and Nummy, as my husband said, but so simple in the kamado.  I used the dome as my casserole lid, so the salmon got a little color on it.  

• By K'man
      I was on Amazon today and found this.  I don't recall ever seeing these settings posted in either manual I have for my two Jr's.  Thought I'd post as a general guide.  I've never operated my Jr's with the top vent totally closed before, almost but not completely as shown.
      FYI

• By K'man
      This afternoon I opened up two pork tenderloins.  I seasoned them with onion & garlic and stuffed basil leaves & pesto  into the cuts before I tied them together.  I wrapped them in a bacon weave and cooked them indirect at 350˚F for about 40 minutes.  I went direct to crisp the bacon.  They finished right where I wanted them to.

• By K'man
      I've been wanting to cook a turkey breast for a while now.  It's much cheaper here to buy a whole bird than to buy a breast.  I carved this one from a 12 lb. bird.  The breast weight 4 lb.9 oz.  I brined it for 20 hours using a 1 gallon solution.  I decided to do the Disney brine for the drumsticks.  They brined for 24 hours.
      The breast went on 45 minutes before the drumsticks and came off to rest at 160˚F  The entire cook was 2-1/2 hours.  The breast was extremely moist and the drum sticks came out exactly as described in the AmazingrRibs.com video.
      @toddwchandler I think this is about as close as you can come to cooking a whole turkey on an Akorn Jr.
      Here are a few pics, thanks for looking.

• By K'man
      Last night I cooked a steelhead trout.  These fish are farmed off the south coast of the island and are great eating.  It was a good time for a local brew as well.  
      I used apple wood for smoke and mayonnaise to coat the skin.  Previously I would have used a porcelain accessory pan with holes to allow the smoke through and minimize the skin sticking.   Not necessary now.  Cooked  indirect for about 45  minutes LNS to an internal temp of 160˚F.  Served with rice, green beans and salad.  Great meal.