karlkamado

Recommendations on gloves?

Howdy. As mentioned, I'm in the market for some grill gloves. Found a ton of options but was hoping to narrow my search by asking those in the know.

thanks!

I have a similar set of welding gloves, and they give me a solid 20-30 seconds of manipulation before it gets uncomfortable to hold the stones, I can hold grates for the better part of a minute.

I have those exact hot gloves, actually two pairs, and I swear by them. I'll never use an oven mitt again. Just don't get them wet before you handle hot stuff, or you'll wish you hadnt

i use these, easy to wash and can handle hot grates and food very easily. anything hotter than about 400* and you can start to feel it after a few seconds, though. so they're not used to move around coals or anything, but i'm really enjoying them so far.

Link: Amazon Link

My hardware store had two sets of gloves for sale – the Big Green Egg® kind ($$), and the gloves that I bought and use (¢¢).  I don't attempt to pick anything up with them, but I particularly use them when pouring charcoal from the chimney starter into the grill, since sparks and burning fragments are likely to fly.  I also routinely wear them when I'm working with a hot, flaming fire simply because the heat is uncomfortable.

Blue Fire gloves are the best I have found. Here is a review post I did on them a while back. You can purchase them on Amazon. They get excellent reviews. Using them I can pick up a screaming hot cast iron pan and walk with it all the way to the kitchen, about 30 ft away. Much better then Pitt Mitts or any other glove I have tried. 

I have been using the below gloves in the link for 2 years now without issue. I just can’t get used to the clumsy feeling with welding gloves. I use these to transfer my 550-600 degree pizza stone from my bbq to my Kamado after preheating my by pizza stone on my gas grill. Extremely happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Heat-Aid-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B00RUBZNDQ/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1535599082&sr=8-20&keywords=heat+gloves+resistant+bbq

On 8/29/2018 at 2:22 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

Blue Fire gloves are the best I have found. Here is a review post I did on them a while back. You can purchase them on Amazon. They get excellent reviews. Using them I can pick up a screaming hot cast iron pan and walk with it all the way to the kitchen, about 30 ft away. Much better then Pitt Mitts or any other glove I have tried. 

Definitely these. I use a pair of cloth & rubber gardening gloves to keep my hands clean for handling cool grill parts and loading charcoal. For a hot stone, these are the only ones to stand up. I've tried the Ove Glove (which I rate second to Blue Fire), welding gloves and another of similar material to the Blue Fire but only the Blue Fire lets me handle everything comfortably. Just don't get them wet as that steam through the fabric is a killer.

I use two different types of grilling gloves.  I have the typical leather welding gloves (most of mine came from Harbor Freight, on sale), and these are my most commonly used gloves.  I also have one pair of those silicone grill gloves (Orange Ekogrips #1 Heat Resistant Cooking Gloves, from Amazon).  I use those more when I am potentially going to have to handle food directly, or for oiling the grates on my Acorn.  Since they are solid silicone rubber they are washable and impermeable to steam, and you can easily grab an oily paper towel and rub down the grills with more dexterity than holding the same towel in tongs.  On the other hand, they are somewhat stiff and a little bulkier than leather grill gloves.  Within their limitations, each type of glove has its benefits.

I use the leather work loves from Lowe's or Home Depot. They are usually about $1.97 each. I have pulled my deflector after a 300 long cook. I have also handled hot coals. I have a third that I will use folded over the first time I have to do a pizza cook, just to be sure.

All of the above gloves our any of similar kind would be fine for grates and stones. Personally i do meat handling a bit different, i use a cotton liner and then put a neoprene glove over the top. The liner unless you accidentally tear the glove lasts forever and is machine washable. Will allow you to easily handle any food item from grill through plating if you care or need too.