ptmd

Pizza Sauce help

hey y'all

We are growing Roma tomatoes in our home garden. and i probably will have more than enough for a years supply.  Next year, i probably will switch over to San Marzanos (and no i dont have the same volcanic soil  :)  )

2 things

1. does anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe using roma tomatoes

2. how does one shelf it/freeze it/etc.

10 roma’s

1 cup water

2 TBSP olive oil

1/4 cup brown sugar 

2 TBSP granulated garlic

1 Tsp salt

1 TBSP white vinegar

Blend tomatoes, olive oil and water until smooth. Add rest of ingredients and bring it all to a boil in a pan. Reduce heat and simmer for an hour or two or until it’s to your desired thickness. This is a basic recipe I have used from a website, but you can add or subtract ingredients to fit your taste. For example,  if you don’t like it sweet then cut the amount of brown sugar. If you think it needs more salt then add more. Use crushed garlic cloves instead of granulated garlic or add basil or other herbs. However, the baseline recipe is pretty decent. You can freeze it pretty easily. Use Ziploc freezer bags or you can do like I do and freeze it in glass jars.

15 minutes ago, Duck9601 said:

10 roma’s

1 cup water

2 TBSP olive oil

1/4 cup brown sugar 

2 TBSP granulated garlic

1 Tsp salt

1 TBSP white vinegar

Blend tomatoes, olive oil and water until smooth. Add rest of ingredients and bring it all to a boil in a pan. Reduce heat and simmer for an hour or two or until it’s to your desired thickness. This is a basic recipe I have used from a website, but you can add or subtract ingredients to fit your taste. For example,  if you don’t like it sweet then cut the amount of brown sugar. If you think it needs more salt then add more. Use crushed garlic cloves instead of granulated garlic or add basil or other herbs. However, the baseline recipe is pretty decent. You can freeze it pretty easily. Use Ziploc freezer bags or you can do like I do and freeze it in glass jars.

In addition,

add 1 or 2 TBSP of Worcestershire-sauce for the earthy flavorkick, or some chiliflakes.

The world is ours, the taste our own ;)

For freezing i'm agreeing to ziplock, best is to portionize ( correct English ? )

If we're making sauce, its for large quantities, easier to cook up, and freezes superb

The portions will be 250/300grams ( give or take ) because my family is awkward.

Thawing 300gr of sauce is under 30minutes, at making pizza it's peanuts.

* not a big fan of using glass in the freezer tough, but it is personal ( have had 'exploding' jars in my freezer in the past.

I don't cook my pizza sauce and I have never tried to freeze any of it either.  Duck's recipe looks interesting.  That sounds a bit like a NY style pizza sauce recipe.  My favorite pizza sauce recipe is quite simple.  I use one can of San Marzano tomatoes (large 28oz can).  I put those in a blender and pulse it once or twice just enough to get the tomatoes broken up nicely but not pureed.  I pour that into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and let the liquid run off for a minute or so.  I put the drained tomatoes back in the blender and HALF of the liquid that I drained off.  I add about 1 clove of garlic that I have finely minced on a microplane grater.  I add about a half teaspoon of dried oregano.  I'll add about 2 teaspoons or maybe a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.  At this point I'll pulse the blender 2 or 3 more times and then put the sauce in a jar.  I taste it and then normally add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt to taste.  This is enough to lightly sauce several pizzas and It will keep in the fridge for about a week.

If you are growing beautiful tomatoes, I would recommend canning the tomatoes so you can use them whenever you need them and for whatever you might need instead of making a lot of pizza sauce and freezing it.  That way you don't have to decide in advance what those tomatoes will be used for.

16 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I don't cook my pizza sauce and I have never tried to freeze any of it either.  Duck's recipe looks interesting.  That sounds a bit like a NY style pizza sauce recipe.  My favorite pizza sauce recipe is quite simple.  I use one can of San Marzano tomatoes (large 28oz can).  I put those in a blender and pulse it once or twice just enough to get the tomatoes broken up nicely but not pureed.  I pour that into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and let the liquid run off for a minute or so.  I put the drained tomatoes back in the blender and HALF of the liquid that I drained off.  I add about 1 clove of garlic that I have finely minced on a microplane grater.  I add about a half teaspoon of dried oregano.  I'll add about 2 teaspoons or maybe a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.  At this point I'll pulse the blender 2 or 3 more times and then put the sauce in a jar.  I taste it and then normally add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt to taste.  This is enough to lightly sauce several pizzas and It will keep in the fridge for about a week.

If you are growing beautiful tomatoes, I would recommend canning the tomatoes so you can use them whenever you need them and for whatever you might need instead of making a lot of pizza sauce and freezing it.  That way you don't have to decide in advance what those tomatoes will be used for.

thanx! 

we did some pizzas last weekend and ended up making fresh sauce similar to what you shared. 

The harvest this year has been pretty good for roma tomatoes, and we probably have less than 20 left (eating and giving them away) from 200.  So, likely going back to canned San Marzanos.  :)

48 minutes ago, ptmd said:

thanx! 

we did some pizzas last weekend and ended up making fresh sauce similar to what you shared. 

The harvest this year has been pretty good for roma tomatoes, and we probably have less than 20 left (eating and giving them away) from 200.  So, likely going back to canned San Marzanos.  :)

Not a think wrong with canned san marzanos.  Those tomatoes are HARD to beat.  

I've been using a recipe from Food Wishes and we like it. The recipe calls for canned San Marzano tomatoes - just make sure it says D.O.P. on the can; those are the real deal from farms near Napoli. Or grow your own! :)

Ingredients (makes about 3 cups):

• 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 anchovy filets (I use a tablespoon of anchovy paste)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 can (28 oz) whole peeled “San Marzano” tomatoes, crush by hand
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • very small pinch baking soda

On 9/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, LargeRedJoe said:

I've been using a recipe from Food Wishes and we like it. The recipe calls for canned San Marzano tomatoes - just make sure it says D.O.P. on the can; those are the real deal from farms near Napoli. Or grow your own! :)

• 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp sugar

do you freeze your 3 cups?  canned them?

On 9/11/2018 at 9:56 AM, LargeRedJoe said:

• 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp sugar

That looks really good and it's not that far off from what I am making now.  The anchovies addition are probably genius.  I am gonna have to give this recipe a try.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

That looks really good and it's not that far off from what I am making now.  The anchovies addition are probably genius.  I am gonna have to give this recipe a try.

The anchovies provide umami...or so says Chef John. And he's the guy with 2.5 million subscribers. 

Don't fear the anchovies, nor the oil they are packed in.

When I freeze sauce, instead of using bags, I pour it into tupperware/plastic containers, usually using the black long flat rectangular ones from leftover takeout, and after its frozen I foodsave it. Then you can stack them like bags, and I think you get a better sealed product. Also makes thawing a breeze.