Coconut Oil, “Pure Poison”. Say What?

Charcoal Addict

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/well/eat/coconut-oil-good-bad-health.html

The news media is buzzing as per usual quoting a Harvard Researcher who’s calling coconut oil pure poison based on it’s ridiculously high saturated fat content. 

Of course this melodramatic and overblown.  Coconut oil is not really good for you.  For all the recent attacks on the processing method for Grapeseed Oil,  it turns out Grapeseed oil is significantly better for you than using cocanut oil.  

Coconut oil contains more saturated fat than rib-eye steak.  You would probably have to eat several Rib Rye’s by yourself to equal the amount of saturated fat in one tablespoon of coconut oil.  

Grapeseed and Virgin Olive Oil have always been my go to’s for BBQ cooking.  Coconut oil is just too costly to use it on a regular basis.  

It appears one of the greatest recent health food fads might not be that good for you after all. 

1 hour ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It appears one of the greatest recent health food fads might not be that good for you after all. 

Bah. These "experts" are forever contradicting themselves.

Eat what you like, in moderation, and ignore the "experts".

Good news! Experts have discovered you can live to 100 years old by eating wheat grass.

Bad news! You have to eat nothing but wheat grass until you die.

If you live long enough, life will kill you in the end!

Respect, understanding and tolerance will help make it easier.

Kamado on I say       B)

A favorite  quote of mine: " I am a mirror to your attitude". 

Got me in a few fights that one has. Made me a lot of friends too!    B)

Cheers to you gurus!

13 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

Grapeseed and Virgin Olive Oil have always been my go to’s for BBQ cooking.  Coconut oil is just too costly to use it on a regular basis.  

You have to watch the Grapeseed oils as some are highly refined, extracted using solvents and high pressure.  The "better" ones are organic cold pressed.  IMO though, grapeseed is still much too high in Omega-6 to be considered healthy - my  high temperature go-to is Avocado oil (which I also use for salad dressing when I want a lighter taste than olive oil).  We also use Walnut oil for salad dressing - amazing stuff for the flavour.

10 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

You have to watch the Grapeseed oils as some are highly refined, extracted using solvents and high pressure.  The "better" ones are organic cold pressed.  IMO though, grapeseed is still much too high in Omega-6 to be considered healthy - my  high temperature go-to is Avocado oil (which I also use for salad dressing when I want a lighter taste than olive oil).  We also use Walnut oil for salad dressing - amazing stuff for the flavour.

Generally I don’t use coconut oil because it sparks, pops and splatters a lot on high temp cooks.  I tired of a few time on Korean BBQ recipies; it wasn’t the best choice. 

Avocado Oil is nice abiet costly.  I usually buy higher quality Grapeseed Oil at Italian Grocery stores.  Most Italian oils are reasonable and made to a higher grade than mass produced US and Canadian cooking oils. 

I use olive oil for almost everything unless I'm going to be cooking at a high temp.  It's easiest to keep only two oils and olive oil tastes good on almost everything..... Also I'm not one to get in on health fads.  One year eggs are the worst, the next they are good.  I just eat moderately sensibly, and don't eat much processed food.  I don't like it anyhow 

29 minutes ago, shuley said:

I use olive oil for almost everything unless I'm going to be cooking at a high temp.  It's easiest to keep only two oils and olive oil tastes good on almost everything..... Also I'm not one to get in on health fads.  One year eggs are the worst, the next they are good.  I just eat moderately sensibly, and don't eat much processed food.  I don't like it anyhow 

You can get 1.5 litres of organic Alvocodo Oil for the price of one 273 ML 7 Fl oz bottle of Coconut Oil or one 2 liter bottle of Grapeseed Oil.  

With grocery prices going up all the time, Coconut Oil was never a practical purchase to begin with.   I’d rather put the extra $10 towards a pack of Rib Eyes. 

On 8/23/2018 at 7:16 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

You can get 1.5 litres of organic Alvocodo Oil for the price of one 273 ML 7 Fl oz bottle of Coconut Oil or one 2 liter bottle of Grapeseed Oil.  

With grocery prices going up all the time, Coconut Oil was never a practical purchase to begin with.   I’d rather put the extra $10 towards a pack of Rib Eyes. 

To be honest, don't really pay too much attention to the prices unless they feel out of whack...but Costco has large tubs (54oz) of coconut oil for somewhere around $12 I think. A little goes a long way with coconut oil as well so it last forever.

Coconut oil has some great properties. 

It can replace athelets foot cream or adult lube. Excellent anti fungal properties.  

The cardiac care medical community always said polyunsaturated fats were good, saturated fats bad.  No one ever said except coconut oil, except the fad dieters. 

I think studies have shown that one of the best/healthiest cooking fats, health-wise, is lard...surpassed only by olive oil. Just not the kind in the box packed full of preservatives.

I can recall a time when damn near everything was bad for you...water included, and in some places that one was more true than not.

I just saw a study on Science Daily suggesting that average  salt intake...long the great boogyman...doesn't have much, if any, effect on heart health.

Milk at breakfast lowers blood glucose during the day,

Another study says there are no safe levels of alcohol consumption--lower that Bud and back slowly away. 

And so it goes. Life is hell.

3 hours ago, cmospyder said:

The thing about all these studies is how much of the data is cherry picked and who was funding the study.  How many times have these studies been reversed over the years?  

i will leave it at that so I don't have to get my soapbox out.

The science on saturated fat is solid,  it more an issue of a person trying to fund his study by using social media and the news to cause hysteria rather recommending moderation.  Common sense doesn’t make headlines.