New Orleans' BBQ Shrimp (on the Kamado Joe)

This is a recipe from an old New Orleans restaurant (a recipe I'm not supposed to have, but that's a long story).

Shrimp, crushed garlic, olive oil, sliced lemons/limes, Lea & Perrin, spices, cracked pepper, EVOO, butter ... etc.

IMG_6169.thumb.jpg.90dd873f5441660048dd56bf14269990.jpg

I've probably made this recipe 35 times over the years in an oven ... but this time I did it on the Kamado Joe Classic with a little cherry chunk for some light smoke ...

IMG_6170.thumb.jpg.768c92719727d194909bd9daf3fea9fc.jpg

IMG_6171.thumb.jpg.4b6e52b0b1f751050ad0ebfad0e7471e.jpg

This Louisiana boy (well ...now I've been a Texan for 30 years) loved it ... and so did my bride!

IMG_6173.thumb.jpg.de32d7728fdeb7dfe6212c37fe512f38.jpg

It's a messy but beloved meal ... you "sop" the french bread in the juices and peel the shrimp ... and take a shower after supper :-)

I did enjoy this even a little more than the oven version (which is hard to beat). 

Seems like the shrimp took on a little smoke (not too much) ... which I never get in the oven version.

I can't share the name of the restaurant (don't want to get anyone in trouble) but here's the recipe (with some commentary) for  Bar-B-Que Shrimp.  This is not "barbeque" in the Memphis or Texas style - this is the Epicurean cuisine of pure Sodom (New Orleans) - and it is "good, good, good!"
                                                                        Recipe:

3# Shrimp (large, or the biggest you can find on sale) - save your big $ for the best red vino you can splurge on!

1/2# salted butter - cut into 1/4" slices.

1/2 Cup good oil (EVOO preferred)

1 Tablespoon dried parsley leaves.

1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano leaves.

3 Pods of Fresh Garlic, crushed or finely chopped.

2 Lemons (or limes), thinly sliced.

2 Tablespoons sea salt.

3 Tablespoons coarsely cracked black Malabar pepper.

2 Tablespoons Lea & Perrin (if you don't know what this is - please exit now - you are in way over your head).

Put a layer of shrimp in a 9 x 13" or larger pan.

Sprinkle 1/2 of the seasoning mixture and salt over the shrimp.

Distribute 1/2 of the lemon slices, butter chunks (or slices) and oil over the shrimp.

Add 1/2 of the Lea & Perrin, salt, garlic, etc.

Add a 2nd layer of shrimp, and the remaining spices, salt, butter, oil, etc.

Place the pan in a 400 degree (F) oven (or a Kamado :-)) for 10 minutes.

Remove the pan and turn, stir and thoroughly mix the shrimp and spices.

Cook for 10-15 more minutes - or until shrimp are orange, even slightly browned on top (DO NOT OVERCOOK!)

(Variations – whatever you like.  If I have fresh basil in my flowerbed, then I add some.  I often add cayenne pepper flakes, etc.  I often use lemons and limes.  If there is something you know that you like a lot – add it.)

Serve this dish with the best red wine you can afford (Zinfandel, Petite Sirah or Cab is recommended), with good fresh crusty French bread (this is to be dipped in the sop, "the sauce" with friends), and with a fine Caesar Salad (if you can make your own dressing - even better!).

This dish is best enjoyed with beloved friends, good wine, and delta blues playing on the stereo (Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, B.B. King, or even T-Bone Walker would be great).