John Setzler

Pellet Grill Owners?

Not a believer eh?

I got the idea off a cooking channel show about pit master who does pork butt for 24 hours at super low temp.

Tried it with brisket on my pellet burner with a low grade packer and it came out tender as could be.

4 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

Earl, how do you feel about the pellet grill so far after owning it now for a little bit?

I am absolutely in love with my Timberline 1300. I almost got the 850, due to the fact most of  my cooks will just be for 2 of us. After actually getting it and cooking on it, I am very glad I got the 1300. The pellet usage has been great, cold temp cooks and very reasonable pellet consumption. The last cook was a 6lb boneless rib roast, the temps started in the low 30's and dropped to the high 20's, during the cook. I cooked it at 225°, on super smoke, for about 4 hrs and then cranked the grill up to 500°, which only took 15 minutes and seared all sides of the roast. Now it was night and high 20's when I did the high temp searing but, although I didn't actually weigh them, I would say I only used about 7 lbs of pellets. The hopper was full and it's only down about 3 inches. The food that has come off this grill has made a believer about pellet grills. I think this grill and my Big Joe are the perfect combination to allow me to cook about anything.

1 minute ago, retfr8flyr said:

I am absolutely in love with my Timberline 1300. I almost got the 850, due to the fact most of  my cooks will just be for 2 of us. After actually getting it and cooking on it, I am very glad I got the 1300. The pellet usage has been great, cold temp cooks and very reasonable pellet consumption. The last cook was a 6lb boneless rib roast, the temps started in the low 30's and dropped to the high 20's, during the cook. I cooked it at 225°, on super smoke, for about 4 hrs and then cranked the grill up to 500°, which only took 15 minutes and seared all sides of the roast. Now it was night and high 20's when I did the high temp searing but, although I didn't actually weigh them, I would say I only used about 7 lbs of pellets. The hopper was full and it's only down about 3 inches. The food that has come off this grill has made a believer about pellet grills. I think this grill and my Big Joe are the perfect combination to allow me to cook about anything.

That's awesome, i knew you would love it once you started cooking on it.  i share the same sentiments about the 1300; the 850 is a great grill but imo the difference in cooking chamber size seems a lot greater than 12".

when you get a chance, follow the Chicken Challenge recipe on the WiFire App.  i was skeptical at first with the higher temp, but the results on a whole chicken is spectacular!

That is the only problem with my 1300, the wifire will not connect. Today they finally decided it's a bad control board and they will send me a new one, when they are back in stock. It doesn't effect the cooking but it would be nice not to have to go out in the cold to check on things. I'll give that chicken a try on my next chicken cook.

Common trends I read in various forums about RecTec: ( I copied this from an earlier post)

very good CS;

maybe auger speed problems;

maybe igniter problems;

maybe need a hopper gasket;

maybe a poor fitting lid;

maybe need a lid gasket;

controller in direct sunlight causes issues

seems fixes are U Tube video explained too.

So I got a RecTec Trailblazer despite the maybes listed above that I considered.

CS is truly really good. I have only needed them for questions about cold weather cooks and cleaning my stainless steel exterior. If something "goes South", I have no doubt CS will be super helpful.

I am cooking on it fairly regular to get myself up to speed on pellet cooking. Have not had auger, igniter, hopper gasket, lid issues, or controller concerns mentioned above.. The wifi stuff and the Android version of the app are fine.( I'm from non high tech grilling)

Bottom line is that I feel good about  RecTec and getting what I paid for. I'm confident that long time "pellet heads" have their preferences on all kinds of stuff-I'll make mental notes and if I ever  have a reason to move on from the Trailblazer,  I'll have a feel for what is "going on" in the pellet cooker world. I am quite happy.:good:

M.

I have a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500.  Many people consider it a "High End" pit.  For the most part, I use it as a summer oven as I can roast something at any temperature from 180°F to about 650° while increasing or decreasing the amount of smoke produced.  Having said that, I prefer to smoke by adding smoke wood to my kamado because I also want the charcoal smoke flavor.

I have some other smokers, too, but the kamado is my favorite.

Snow.thumb.jpg.03c6b6940697afb5c16484a8bf833bf2.jpg