• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buddy way more than that...  

I love the Kamado but with two young kids, week nights were a challenge and not owning a gas bbq I decided a pellet grill would be fun to try.     I purchased a traeger pro series and absolu

I have a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500.  Many people consider it a "High End" pit.  For the most part, I use it as a summer oven as I can roast something at any temperature from 180°F to about 650° while 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

Earl, how do you feel about the pellet grill so far after owning it now for a little bit?

I am absolutely in love with my Timberline 1300. I almost got the 850, due to the fact most of  my cooks will just be for 2 of us. After actually getting it and cooking on it, I am very glad I got the 1300. The pellet usage has been great, cold temp cooks and very reasonable pellet consumption. The last cook was a 6lb boneless rib roast, the temps started in the low 30's and dropped to the high 20's, during the cook. I cooked it at 225°, on super smoke, for about 4 hrs and then cranked the grill up to 500°, which only took 15 minutes and seared all sides of the roast. Now it was night and high 20's when I did the high temp searing but, although I didn't actually weigh them, I would say I only used about 7 lbs of pellets. The hopper was full and it's only down about 3 inches. The food that has come off this grill has made a believer about pellet grills. I think this grill and my Big Joe are the perfect combination to allow me to cook about anything.

1 minute ago, retfr8flyr said:

I am absolutely in love with my Timberline 1300. I almost got the 850, due to the fact most of  my cooks will just be for 2 of us. After actually getting it and cooking on it, I am very glad I got the 1300. The pellet usage has been great, cold temp cooks and very reasonable pellet consumption. The last cook was a 6lb boneless rib roast, the temps started in the low 30's and dropped to the high 20's, during the cook. I cooked it at 225°, on super smoke, for about 4 hrs and then cranked the grill up to 500°, which only took 15 minutes and seared all sides of the roast. Now it was night and high 20's when I did the high temp searing but, although I didn't actually weigh them, I would say I only used about 7 lbs of pellets. The hopper was full and it's only down about 3 inches. The food that has come off this grill has made a believer about pellet grills. I think this grill and my Big Joe are the perfect combination to allow me to cook about anything.

That's awesome, i knew you would love it once you started cooking on it.  i share the same sentiments about the 1300; the 850 is a great grill but imo the difference in cooking chamber size seems a lot greater than 12".

when you get a chance, follow the Chicken Challenge recipe on the WiFire App.  i was skeptical at first with the higher temp, but the results on a whole chicken is spectacular!

That is the only problem with my 1300, the wifire will not connect. Today they finally decided it's a bad control board and they will send me a new one, when they are back in stock. It doesn't effect the cooking but it would be nice not to have to go out in the cold to check on things. I'll give that chicken a try on my next chicken cook.

Common trends I read in various forums about RecTec: ( I copied this from an earlier post)

very good CS;

maybe auger speed problems;

maybe igniter problems;

maybe need a hopper gasket;

maybe a poor fitting lid;

maybe need a lid gasket;

controller in direct sunlight causes issues

seems fixes are U Tube video explained too.

So I got a RecTec Trailblazer despite the maybes listed above that I considered.

CS is truly really good. I have only needed them for questions about cold weather cooks and cleaning my stainless steel exterior. If something "goes South", I have no doubt CS will be super helpful.

I am cooking on it fairly regular to get myself up to speed on pellet cooking. Have not had auger, igniter, hopper gasket, lid issues, or controller concerns mentioned above.. The wifi stuff and the Android version of the app are fine.( I'm from non high tech grilling)

Bottom line is that I feel good about  RecTec and getting what I paid for. I'm confident that long time "pellet heads" have their preferences on all kinds of stuff-I'll make mental notes and if I ever  have a reason to move on from the Trailblazer,  I'll have a feel for what is "going on" in the pellet cooker world. I am quite happy.:good:

M.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500.  Many people consider it a "High End" pit.  For the most part, I use it as a summer oven as I can roast something at any temperature from 180°F to about 650° while increasing or decreasing the amount of smoke produced.  Having said that, I prefer to smoke by adding smoke wood to my kamado because I also want the charcoal smoke flavor.

I have some other smokers, too, but the kamado is my favorite.

Snow.thumb.jpg.03c6b6940697afb5c16484a8bf833bf2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this back up - I currently have a Camp Chef DLX24 which I really like.  I plan to keep it for larger cooks as the capacity of my KJ Classic for full packers, etc is limited in comparison.  

Can't help but look at upgrading the pellet to either a Rec Tec Bull or Yoder YS640  possibly in the summer.  I suppose I could add the Timberline 1300 to the mix as well for comparison.  Any thoughts/experience between the two/three of these?  The PID and capacity of these units seem like quite an upgrade compared to my Camp Chef.  

On 12/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, Chasdev said:

Not a believer eh?

I got the idea off a cooking channel show about pit master who does pork butt for 24 hours at super low temp.

Tried it with brisket on my pellet burner with a low grade packer and it came out tender as could be.

what temp did you cook at?  might try this with a pork butt, why not?

On 12/28/2018 at 1:56 PM, pmillen said:

I have a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500.  Many people consider it a "High End" pit.  For the most part, I use it as a summer oven as I can roast something at any temperature from 180°F to about 650° while increasing or decreasing the amount of smoke produced.  Having said that, I prefer to smoke by adding smoke wood to my kamado because I also want the charcoal smoke flavor.

I have some other smokers, too, but the kamado is my favorite.

Snow.thumb.jpg.03c6b6940697afb5c16484a8bf833bf2.jpg

she's a beauty!!

47 minutes ago, gorilla83 said:

Bringing this back up - I currently have a Camp Chef DLX24 which I really like.  I plan to keep it for larger cooks as the capacity of my KJ Classic for full packers, etc is limited in comparison.  

Can't help but look at upgrading the pellet to either a Rec Tec Bull or Yoder YS640  possibly in the summer.  I suppose I could add the Timberline 1300 to the mix as well for comparison.  Any thoughts/experience between the two/three of these?  The PID and capacity of these units seem like quite an upgrade compared to my Camp Chef.  

unfortunately i'm unable to help with a comparison between the brands, but if you have any questions about the Timberline 850 or 1300 i can share experiences, photos, whatever.  These days Pellet and WFO cooking (especially pizza) are at the front of the line in my families cooking interests.

On 1/21/2019 at 2:47 PM, gorilla83 said:

I'll share some experience from my perspective having owned a Traeger Lil' Texas Elite, a Yoder YS640, and now a Traeger Timberline 850...

#1 - Pellet grills all cook with very similar results.  You wont' be able to tell a significant difference between any of them in terms of the food that comes off with the possible exception of a Traeger Timberine, the MAK or any other model that has a lowered exhaust escape that helps keep smoke in the cooking chamber.  

#2 - you are buying a set of bells and whistles.  Figure out what bells and whistles you want on your pellet grill and find the model that fits your price point and has the most of that bells and whistles list.

Out of the three listed above that I own/have owned, the Traeger Timberline is by far the best experience I have had.  I love that grill.  It does everything a pellet grill should do.  And it does it very well.  I have had ZERO issues with it.  It has performed flawlessly.  

The Lil' Texas Elite that I started out with gave me no issues either.  It was a much smaller grill and it was at the $799 price point if I remember correctly.  My brother in law is cooking on that grill now and he uses it 2 or 3 times a week at least and he has had no issues with it.  It's about six years old now and still running without a hitch.

The Yoder was my least favorite of the bunch.   I liked it at first.  I was fairly in love with the heavy duty build quality, but once you get over that, the grill falls short for me in about every other aspect.  The grill cooked ok and I could get around that.  There were pretty heavy temp differences from one end of the cook chamber to the other (60+ degrees).   I had constant rust issues with it and the grill did not sit in the rain.  The grill overshot the set temp by at least 150° every time i fired it up.  It took 40-45 minute for it to settle down enough to put food on it when I fired it up.  It's picky about what kind of pellets you can use for a long low and slow cook because of it's firebox design.  After getting used to the Yoder, I just wasn't comfortable recommending it based on the issues i had with it.  

That all being said.....

Wifi is all the rage these days.  My two cents on grills with wifi controls of ANY KIND is that if you have convinced yourself that you NEED wifi, then you probably don't need to be grilling.  If you don't have time to be at home when changes to the grill need to be made, then grilling is probably not your best course of action.  Pellet grills are not going to go crazy on you after you fire them up and put your food on.  They will hold things together just fine.  Especially if you are maintaining the grill the way you should be.  (waits for the list of anecdotal evidence that my last statement is wrong...)

:)

IMO all the previous posts are spot on. 

I can expound on what I know about-Rec Tec. See my earlier post.

I have a Rec Tec Trailblazer. $699. WiFi, 2 temp probes, the temp controller and the app work great. I can verify CS is super. I only had a couple of questions re: cleaning and grilling in cold wx (20deg. and below). Rec Tec just sent me a blurb about a payment plan they are offering. Might be worth a look.

I have had mine since October and I indeed put it thru as many of the "paces" as I could during the 30 day no questions return window. No problems.

I have retrospectively viewed some old posts on various forums about Rec Tec. They did indeed upgrade all their units to a better ceramic igniter and overall grill look  not too long ago.

A few us KG people have recently gotten Traegers and rave about them-so there's that.

M.

17 hours ago, John Setzler said:

................The Yoder was my least favorite of the bunch.   I liked it at first.  I was fairly in love with the heavy duty build quality, but once you get over that, the grill falls short for me in about every other aspect.  The grill cooked ok and I could get around that.  There were pretty heavy temp differences from one end of the cook chamber to the other (60+ degrees).   I had constant rust issues with it and the grill did not sit in the rain.  The grill overshot the set temp by at least 150° every time i fired it up.  It took 40-45 minute for it to settle down enough to put food on it when I fired it up.  It's picky about what kind of pellets you can use for a long low and slow cook because of it's firebox design.  After getting used to the Yoder, I just wasn't comfortable recommending it based on the issues i had with it.  

................Wifi is all the rage these days.  My two cents on grills with wifi controls of ANY KIND is that if you have convinced yourself that you NEED wifi, then you probably don't need to be grilling.  If you don't have time to be at home when changes to the grill need to be made, then grilling is probably not your best course of action.  Pellet grills are not going to go crazy on you after you fire them up and put your food on.  They will hold things together just fine.  Especially if you are maintaining the grill the way you should be.  (waits for the list of anecdotal evidence that my last statement is wrong...)

:)

Dang!!  i had wondered why the Yoder had left the man cave.  I too have always loved the look of that grill and i'm blown-away by to hear about the temp variations and swings, and the rust.  crazy.

i love the wifi capability and smart phone app integration of the Timberline series as well, but to be perfectly honest, i don't really use it all that much.  i do like having it, but as mentioned, the temp is so consistent that i dont feel the need to check it via a phone app.  on that point, when the need arises to replace the electric oven in my kitchen, i wouldnt consider buying one with wifi/smart phone app (if that option exists) for the same reason.  pretty cool to have but wouldnt be a deal-breaker for me if it didnt because of all of the other aspects of the grill that i like. :afro: 

28 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:

Dang!!  i had wondered why the Yoder had left the man cave.  I too have always loved the look of that grill and i'm blown-away by to hear about the temp variations and swings, and the rust.  crazy.

i love the wifi capability and smart phone app integration of the Timberline series as well, but to be perfectly honest, i don't really use it all that much.  i do like having it, but as mentioned, the temp is so consistent that i dont feel the need to check it via a phone app.  on that point, when the need arises to replace the electric oven in my kitchen, i wouldnt consider buying one with wifi/smart phone app (if that option exists) for the same reason.  pretty cool to have but wouldnt be a deal-breaker for me if it didnt because of all of the other aspects of the grill that i like. :afro: 

I am on Johns side with this one... I have tried WiFi on more than one type of cooker including my current pellet pooper. Not for me! One more layer of “something to go wrong” and I personally find the cooking process much more enjoyable when I am connected in person with it :)

I know there are plenty of guys that love their WiFi setup and that’s cool! To each their own :)