• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

This is a fantastic snack for game day or any other occasion where you need some finger food with a little extra KICK!

The Atomic Buffalo Turd as interpreted by ME!

20110717_Turds_0340.JPG

Start out with a batch of nice sized jalapeno peppers and slice the tops off as shown.

20110717_Turds_0341.JPG

Slice each pepper lengthwise as shown.

20110717_Turds_0342.JPG

Remove the spines and rinse the peppers out.

20110717_Turds_0349.JPG

Fill each pepper half with cream cheese. If you want extra kick you can mix in cayenne pepper with the cream cheese or you can add anything else you may want to the cream cheese to change up the flavor.

20110717_Turds_0350.JPG

Place one little smokey smoked sausage on each pepper half on top of the cream cheese.

20110717_Turds_0351.JPG

Wrap each pepper half with a half slice of uncooked bacon and secure with a toothpick. You can soak your toothpicks if you like but if you are cooking over indirect heat, they won't usually burn.

20110717_Turds_0352.JPG

Put them on your grill over indirect heat and cook. If you are cooking in the 250° range these can stay on about an hour. Just keep your eye on them and don't burn them.

20110717_Turds_0355.JPG

Here's what they look like when they are finished!

I don't cut the stem side off, I just slice them in half and remove the membrane and seeds.Don't you loose some of the filling running out of the backside? If you prep them the night before cooking you don't need the tooth picks the bacon kinds of binds together

I love ABT's! Unfortunately I never make enough. It doesn't matter how many I make, there is never enough. I have even made them using habaneros instead of jalapenos. If you like heat, give them a try.

I made these for a family party a few weeks ago...huge hit. they were a little greasy though. I next tried them with finely diced smoked chicken mixed in the cream cheese. those were really good too and only slightly less 'atomic' the heart ;)

I cooked some Saturday for the first time to take to my grandson' first birthday party. Also made my first attempt with Moink balls. Both were a big hit. Added some chipotle Tabasco to the cream cheese. They were still mild enough for my wife. In fact she loved them too. post-424-13756507372774_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABT's, Surfin Sapo style. Actually he calls the ADT's, or, atomic Dove Turds, made from a mess of dove breasts. Years ago when I lived in IdAho, we'd go dove hunting often. I whisk I had this recipe then. They look good.

g09RRkiBTqc

I also tried some out for the first time a few months back. I made a few for me and my wife, they came out great. I'm barely getting the hang of posting pics!post-844-13756508075327_thumb.jpgpost-844-13756508076471_thumb.jpgpost-844-13756508077622_thumb.jpg

These are on the list for this weekend. Can't wait. Buffalo sauce in the cream cheese is the plan. How many peppers per package of cream cheese?

I never really counted but the 8oz containers of cream cheese will fill at least 14 pepper halves and possibly more...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dub
      Well.........Teenage T-Rex cooked grilled cheese sammiches for his girlfriend the other day.

Figured that I'd increase his capabilities by introducing a George Foreman grill.

He was game.

We took it on it's maiden voyage today for lunch.

Figured I'd make a batch of my smash burgers and run it through it's paces.

He was in the midst of each step.

Small countertop...I manned the cutting board......he manned the grill.

Usual suspects gathered....

He devoured the first thing to come off this grill.....to slices of bacon.

More followed......

Ankle-biters emerged as soon as bacon started being cooked......

The smash burgers were too large for the Foreman.......made a mess of them.

The thing cooks onions and bacon like a champ, though !!!!!!!!

• By Smokehowze
      A Fermented Roasted Jalapeno Based Salsa and Hot Sauce 
      Here is a post to give you some ideas.  There is no recipe as such.  It all about mix and match to meet what tastes good to you.

Had a couple pounds of jalapeno peppers that were moving past their prime back in July.  So we decided to make a salsa which then got taken to another level as a fermented salsa and subsequent also as a hot sauce.
      Jalapenos (with seeds), red tomatoes, and white onions were all fire roasted on the Kamado and subsequently peeled/prepped and put in the Breville food processor along with some fresh garlic.
      It was all processed with some salt, some fresh black pepper, a bit of water and a a touch of vinegar and a pinch of sugar into a nice fine grained salsa.   Because of the seeds, the salsa mash had a serious wallop.  The yield was about 3/4 a gallon.  It tastes really nice.  Tortilla chips here we come!

I decided to ferment 1/2 a gallon of the salsa to let the ferment mellow the flavor/heat and to up the acidity.   
      For information on fermenting, just search the web as there is some good guidance out there.  Basically it involves the right percent salt brine covering the vegetables and keeping the air and related bacteria off the ferment until the good bacteria create the right level of preserving lactic acid.  For fermenting a mash like this since it is not submerged one keeps an eye on the top surface and just stirs under the top  level the first few days and keeps the air off the product with an airlock lid to avoid the wrong bacteria from getting established.  Again – go to the web or relevant research.
      I added some additional salt and ferment starter culture to the “salsa”  to set the correct ferment profile and jump start the process.  It’s like cheating with the seeding of lactic acid producing bacteria.  But in a good way.  Ferment starter can be a commercial culture or even the drained whey off an active culture yogurt. Even the vegetables themselves have natural bacteria that can be utilized.  Also any water should be non-chlorinated -  like a good bottled water.
      Let the ferment run for about 2- 3 weeks (depending on environmental conditions) on the counter but out of direct sunlight  (dark space around 70 degrees is ideal)  in an air lock equipped jar, tasting as needed every week and every couple days after the first couple weeks.  When it has progressed to the desired acidity level based on you tastes it should be thereafter refrigerated.  
      In another few weeks the overall flavor matures even more.    At that point, the flavor and acidity was getting where it should be as a young salsa/sauce but it was still way too pepper hot for some in the family because of the seed element. It will continue to improve over time.
      Now onto the hot sauce step… Pulled out the Oxo food mill and ran a cup or so of the salsa mash thru the mill on the finest mesh screen to get rid of the seeds.   Bingo!...The result is right on target.  Great flavor, just the right heat, excellent texture and body just as a hot sauce should be.  The flavor because of the tomato and onion plus the roasting step builds a more complex taste profile than just a peppers and vinegar product.  

For conveniently serving the hot sauce, I took an old empty Peychaud bitters bottle out of my jar/bottle stash and filled it.  I like these reclaimed bottles for uses such as this.  I drilled the plastic insert spigot hole a bit larger to match the hot sauce viscosity for getting the right amount of sauce splat in a shake.  Perfect. 
      As the remaining mash in the fridge further ages it will of itself further mellow in flavor and become even better for future bottling.  I have a prior hot pepper sauce that is over 7 years or more aging in the fridge and it is like perfection. Too bad there is not a lot left!
      Hope this give you some ideas.  I really wish you could taste this!
      PS…If you choose not to do a fermented approach for the acidity, then use vinegar and water to set the acidity and viscosity in your hot sauce.  Do a small batch or two from the mash and experiment.  Keep the salsa/mash in a sealed jar in the fridge and make new hot sauce as needed.  It just gets better over time.
      This is what science lab in high school should have been teaching us!  

• By DerHusker
      Atomic Shrimp = Bacon Wrapped Shrimp stuffed with Smoked Cheddar Cheese and Jalapeño.

This weekend I also made these again.

I took some U13 shrimp and split them as much as possible and then filled the cavity with sharp cheddar cheese, then a slice of jalapeno and then wrapped them in bacon.

I place them on the preheated (to 300) kamado for 5 to 6 minutes per side.

Let them cool for just a few minutes and then plated them up with some cilantro garnish.

These are sooo tasty.

Thanks for looking.
    • By Smokehowze
      A Four Pepper Chicken Chili Verde  

The July Challenge was to use peppers. After some long thought in the matter I decided that chicken chili verde would fit the bill and that I would use four different kinds of peppers (Anaheim, pasilla, serrano & jalapeno)  and further use them both green and roasted as my entry - pretty much 50/50 green/roasted.

This was a delicious meal that was a bit involved but not really complicated.   Pretty simple ingredients and seasonings that result in a pot of goodness and plateful of absolutely outstanding flavor with multiple layers and depths.   The pepper heat level is easily adjusted and controlled to your preference.  Serve with steamed rice and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and some good sour cream.   I guarantee you will go back for seconds or thirds.

The ingredients:
      3 to 3 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs 5 Green Pasillia (or poblano) peppers (for main dish and salsa) 5 Green Ahaheim Peppers (for main dish and salsa) 6 Green Jalapeno Peppers (for main dish and salsa) 3 Green Serrano Peppers (for main dish and salsa) 10 Tomatillos (about 1.5 lbs  - husked and rinsed) 1 large and 1 medium sweet onion like Vidalia for the main dish 2 medium yellow onions ( 1 for main dish and 1 for the salsa) 10 garlic toes (includes some for the salsa) 2  to 2 ¼ cups good low sodium chicken stock 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled  (about 1 lb) 3 Tablespoons dried Mexican Orgeano for main dish (plus additional 1 tablespoon for the salsa) 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika 2 Tablespoons cumin (add more to taste) 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2-3 Tablespoons Tapioca or Potato flour for thickener if required Larger peppers are preferred.  This recipe will make 6 quarts of the chicken chili verde. 

First Steps (earlier in the day or a day or two) before

Set Aside Some Peppers to Use Green

Roasting the Peppers
      Take:
      2 of the passilla 2 of the anaheims 3 of the jalapenos 2 of the serranos 5 of the tomatillos and roast them in direct heat on the Kamado at 325-350 degrees until lightly charred almost all over, then put in covered bowl and allow to steam and cool and then peel the blistered skin.  If cooking ahead store in fridge, covered. 

These are Starting to Roast Nicely

Pre-Grilling the Chicken

Lightly oil the chicken and season with Sazon Completa  (I use Badia brand) or an equivalent seasoning on both sides.  After peppers are removed from the grill, raise direct temperature to 400 degrees and grill chicken for 3 minutes a side to get a grill browning and slight char on the chicken.   We are not cooking the chicken all the way – really just getting a good grilled flavor.   If cooking ahead,  let chicken cool and store in fridge, covered. 

The Thighs

On Big Joe

Nice Grill Flavoring

Next Steps  - Make the Tomatillo Salsa Verde Sauce

Prepare and make the salsa verde sauce.
      4 tomatillos roasted   3 tomatillos green 1 roasted serrano pepper 1 green serrano pepper 1 medium  onion 2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (fresh can be used also) 1 teaspoon ground cumin 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) 2 cups water  
      Chop all ingredients. Cut tomatillos into pieces.  Combine in sauce pan.  Bring to boil the reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until the green tomatillos are soft.

In blender or food processor puree the mixture including all the liquid.   This can be done with only green peppers but the use of roasted peppers adds to the flavor profile.  The pepper heat level is mild to moderate as one of the serrano’s  is roasted.

I want to thank my son for general assistance with the cook, especially for making the salsa verde from a recipe he has used before.   It is a very nice green salsa for any dish and use – not just in this chicken chili verde.   It is even better to let it mature for a day in the fridge.

Building the Main Dish

Coarse chop the remaining green peppers and tomatillos.  Seed the remaining roasted peppers and coarse chop.  Medium chop the onions and garlic.

3 green pasilla and  2 roasted pasilla 3 green anaheim and  2 roasted anaheim 2 green jalapenos and 3 roasted jalapenos 1 roasted serrano 2 green tomatillos and  1 roasted tomatillo 1 large and 1 medium Vidalia onion 1 medium yellow onion 2 russet potatoes  Remaining garlic toes minced 3 Tablespoons dried Mexican oregano 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika 2 Tablespoons cumin (add more to taste) 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon  
      Coarse dice 1 1/2 of the potatoes.   Fine dice the remaining  ½ potato.  This will help with thickening the sauce.

Add 1-2 tablespoons oil to 7 quart cast iron dutch oven.  Sweat the garlic, the onions and green chili peppers until softened  ~ 5  minutes .  Add tomatillos and continue sweating   ~5 more minutes. 

Green Chili Peppers, Tomatillo, Onion & Garlic 

Let Get Stuff in the Pot

Sweating The Raw Peppers, Tomatillos, Onion & Garlic

Cut the previously partially grilled chicken into bite size pieces.   Add to pot.  Cook for a few minutes to meld flavors.   Add roasted peppers and the oregano, cumin and smoked paprika.  Stir well. 

Add in the Chicken & Seasonings

Add the chicken stock and the salsa verde.   Stir to incorporate.   I used a defatted chicken stock I made from the carcass and residuals from two whole chickens I had roasted on Big Joe previously and had kept in the fridge.   When making this stock I did not use any skin, hence the stock had only a little smokiness.  The add the potatoes. 

Roasted Peppers, Roasted Tomatillo & Raw Potato Ready to Come Into Play

Gotta Add The Homemade Chilled Chicken Stock from Kamado Roasted Chickens

And Can't Forget the Salsa Verde

Now the Potatoes

Lastly, stir in the 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.  Be very respectful of the cinnamon.  

Bring to low boil for a couple of minutes , then remove from the heat.  

Time to Move to the Kamado

Immediately and carefully transfer the dutch oven to the Kamado which has been setup for indirect cooking at 375-400 degrees.   Using suitable spacers, set a pizza stone on the deflector  (or on the grill grate above the deflector , so that the pizza stone and the air gap act as a buffer for the bottom of the dutch oven to prevent burning. I actually used a double secondary heat diffusing arrangement.   

Getting Going on Big Joe

You want to cook at a good simmer or just above.    The dish should be cooked uncovered with a suitable smoking wood, if desired.   I used oak.   Stir often as the dish will cook from the sides also and the stirring additionally incorporates the smoke into the dish.  During the course of the cook, taste and adjust any seasoning as needed, including the addition of more peppers for heat.  I found that I did not to need to change anything other than adjusting the salt.

Simmering on Big Joe

If after 45 minutes the sauce still appears too fluid raise the heat to 425.  At an hour check the potatoes for doneness.   They should be almost ready.    If additional thickening  is required  to get a thick gravy consistency,  mix the tapioca or potato flour with cool water and stir some or all the mixture into the pot.  Cook for another 15 minutes and the dish should be ready.

Another 15 Minutes to Go (this is after adding the tapioca starch)

The pepper heat profile of this dish (using some of the seeds from the roasted and green serrano and jalapeno peppers) was very nice.  It did not burn up your mouth but was nicely balanced with the total dish.  Heat can be adjusted with additional and or different hot peppers to taste.

This cook may seem complex but it really is not and it comes together rather quickly especially with some ahead of time prep and forethought.     Like any great meal it is worth the investment.

To Serve

Ready to Serve

Sever over steamed rice.  Once on the serving plate, sprinkle with the chopped fresh cilantro and add a dollop of good sour cream. 

I assure you this is a dish worth the effort and would be excellent for company.  The result is flavorful with a balanced heat, layers of flavor from the different chilies, wonderful gravy, and a smokey richness.    It is difficult to stop going back for refills.

Another Look

You should try this!  Thanks for looking.

PS .. Please visit the July Challenge Sub Forum and Cast Your Vote
    • By Smokehowze
      Homemade New Orleans Creole Cream Cheese & Ice Cream
      Heading into this 4th of July I had been thinking about traditions growing up in New Orleans and recalled creole cream cheese ice cream. Now the coincidence here is that I was at Costco on July 2 and they had evidently overstocked on many pallets of whole milk (sell date 5 July) and were selling it at 97 cents a gallon. The light bulb in my head went so bright it burned out instantly. 5 gallons went in the buggy. Two at least for making creole cream cheese and the creole cream cheese ice cream for the 4th of July. The other gallons are planned for homemade mozzarella and ricotta.
      I used Chef John Folse’s recipe for the New Orleans creole cream cheese and Chef Emeril Lagasse’s recipe for the ice cream as to me his ice cream recipe seemed closest to what I recall was sold by the stores in my youth.
      The Creole Cream Cheese Result

The Ice Cream Result

The flavor of the cream cheese and that of the ice cream were what I remember – so this “cook” was a true success – I have my breakfast and dessert treats for just a small amount of time and effort.
      The ice cream alone is worth doing this if you have never had it.
      Background:
      Creole Cream Cheese is a farmer style cheese similar in fashion to a combination of cottage cheese and sour cream with a mild, slightly tart, slightly sweet taste. Creole Cream Cheese used to be widely available in New Orleans and is almost never found outside Louisiana. As the years have passed it became harder to find, and today is virtually non-existent as a commercial product. Sometimes it can be found as an artisan product. Here is the wiki: ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_cream_cheese )
      It’s a soft cheese generally sold in a small “cottage cheese style container” covered with cream or half & half. Usually eaten as a breakfast treat, sprinkled with sugar.
      When I was growing up a half of a cream cheese (which at the time came covered with cream) with sugar added and some buttered toasted French bread (leftover from dinner the night before) and a cup of coffee & chicory was a breakfast staple and is still one of my all-time breakfast treats. As a kid in those days we were always active and outside – sometimes not showing up at home until dinner time- so the health issues today that might stem from such a breakfast in today’ s times were a non-issue.
      Making the Creole Cream Cheese
      The Creole Cream Cheese recipe is from John Folse ( http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/misc/misc01.htm ). It is so simple to do.
      Also see below for info about one of his books that I highly recommend.
      INGREDIENTS:
      2 gallons skim milk (I used whole milk) 1/2 quart buttermilk 1/2 rennet tablet (available at cheese specialty stores) Half & Half optional I estimate the 2 gallons made 5 - 6 cups of cream cheese. METHOD:
      Combine milk, buttermilk, and the ½ rennet tablet (I crushed it) in a stainless steel pot. Using a thermometer, bring the temperature of the milk to 80 degrees, stirring constantly and hold for five minutes. Remove from heat, cover tightly and allow to sit at least 3 hours. Drain off the whey (liquid remaining after the curds are formed) discarding this liquid. Pack the solids in 8-ounce portions topping with equal parts of half and half cream.
      Warming the Milk

Note: I let mine sit for 4+ hours. I drained the majority of the cream cheese in a plastic colander that has smaller holes and set it in a large metal bowl covered in the fridge, carefully removing the curds from the 8 quart stainless pot with a large spoon. That worked well. The curd will further solidify and form into a soft unified block.
      Curd is Formed (of course I had to sample it)

Some went into two cream cheese moulds that have come to me in the family that belonged to my grandmother. This is after they drained and firmed up in the fridge. In hindsight I should have filled them and compressed them a bit. Not an issue though.
      Grandmother’s Cream Cheese Moulds

When I considered the cream cheese fully drained I put it in a container and covered it with half & half. Store in the fridge..
      Making the Creole Cream Cheese Ice Cream
      INGREDIENTS (this makes 1 ½ quarts):
      2 1/2 cups Creole cream cheese 1 1/4 cups whole milk 1 1/4 cups heavy cream 3/4 - 1 cup sugar (your preference – use ¾ cup and taste the mixture) 2 teaspoons vanilla extract The Creole Cheam Cheese Ice Cream is an adaptation of an Emeril Lagasse Recipe. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/frozen-creole-cream-cheese-recipe.html)
      The Ice Cream Fixings

Into a large bowl, add the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and hand whisk well to dissolve the sugar. Add the creole cream cheese and hand whisk to fully incorporate and break up the curd.
      The Ice Cream Base

Process the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. (Note that the mixture will not freeze like ice cream, but instead will have a lighter, more slushy consistency. Don't worry, it will set up after some time in the freezer.)
      In the Freezer Machine (I let it run for 35 minutes in this unit where you freeze the machine bowl overnight)

Putting Ice Cream in a Bowl to Temper in the Freezer (half a day is good overnight is better - if you can wait that long)

The Ice Cream is Ready

Lagniappe: John Folse - The-Encyclopedia-Cajun-Creole-Cuisine
      Speaking of John Folse... This book, which I truly enjoy being a Louisiana boy, is well worth the price. It is a 12.5 by 10.5 x 2 in volume that weighs almost 10 lbs. If you should buy one get the hardcover version. It makes a very nice coffee table book also.
      http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Cajun-Creole-Cuisine/dp/0970445717/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436030751&sr=8-1&keywords=john+folse&pebp=1436030755908&perid=1Y3BKRFH5H0VQ4MX6CPZ
      The-Encyclopedia-Cajun-Creole-Cuisine
      “Chef Folse's seventh cookbook is the authoritative collection on Louisiana's culture and cuisine. The book features more than 850 full-color pages, dynamic historical Louisiana photographs and more than 700 recipes. You will not only find step-by-step directions to preparing everything from a roux to a cochon de lait, but you will also learn about the history behind these recipes. Cajun and Creole cuisine was influenced by seven nations that settled Louisiana, from the Native Americans to the Italian immigrants of the 1800s. Learn about the significant contributions each culture made-okra seeds carried here by African slaves, classic French recipes recalled by the Creoles, the sausage-making skills of the Germans and more. Relive the adventure and romance that shaped Louisiana, and recreate the recipes enjoyed in Cajun cabins, plantation kitchens and New Orleans restaurants. Chef Folse has hand picked the recipes for each chapter to ensure the very best of seafood, game, meat, poultry, vegetables, salads, appetizers, drinks and desserts are represented. From the traditional to the truly unique, you will develop a new understanding and love of Cajun and Creole cuisine. The Encyclopedia would make a perfect gift or simply a treasured addition to your own cookbook library.”