I find with a Akorn jr and Mini WSM grill space is a premium. I would never argue that smoked isn't tastier, but mine are pretty good and are easy to make. I slice the stem off and de-seed and remove the membranes. I then fill with chive and onion cream cheese and dust with my smoking rub. I add a single cheddar little smokie and wrap the pepper lengthwise so the bacon seals the cut end and hold together with a toothpick. I then cook them to perfection in my Nuwave oven for 12 to 14 minutes. They are great as is but best when reheated in the smoker after the cook is done. I leave them on the table for my guests to reheat as consumed.

I am trying something new on my ABT's. Instead of herb & garlic cream cheese. I am mixing my own with 8 oz cream cheese, 3 tablespoons salsa, and 4 strips of maple bacon fried and sliced in small bits. No other changes. Will cook tomorrow to go with some grilled pork butt steaks on the akorn jr.

1 hour ago, Cavman said:

I am trying something new on my ABT's. Instead of herb & garlic cream cheese. I am mixing my own with 8 oz cream cheese, 3 tablespoons salsa, and 4 strips of maple bacon fried and sliced in small bits. No other changes. Will cook tomorrow to go with some grilled pork butt steaks on the akorn jr.

The possibilities are endless.

I made these today.  Half in Jalapenos and half in mini bells.  They came out great!  But my wife suggested that next time I add a sweet glaze. 

Has anyone tried a finishing ABTs with a glaze?  Was it good?

IMG_20180704_165320.jpg

IMG_20180704_175346.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      So I entered a pie contest and wanted to share my entry over here.

Here are most of the ingredients.

Made up some graham cracker crust. After smearing my CI pie pan with some butter flavored Crisco I press in the crust.

Made up a bacon weave and placed it on the kamado.

Because I couldn’t flip the weave I placed my bacon press on the burner for 10 minutes. After it’s smoking hot I placed it on top of the weave.

While that cooks I prep my jalapeños.

On the grill they go for 15 minutes along with the pie crust for 7 minutes at 350.

After the weave is cooked I place it in the bottom of the pie crust.

Then the smoked jalapeño rings and the cream cheese pie filling.

Now the pie goes into the kamado for 40 minutes at 350.

Here is the result.

After letting it cool to room temp and then in the fridge I spread on the Raspberry Jalapeño topping.

And decorate.

Plated shots.

And this was my entry photo.

• By Dub
      Well.........Teenage T-Rex cooked grilled cheese sammiches for his girlfriend the other day.

Figured that I'd increase his capabilities by introducing a George Foreman grill.

He was game.

We took it on it's maiden voyage today for lunch.

Figured I'd make a batch of my smash burgers and run it through it's paces.

He was in the midst of each step.

Small countertop...I manned the cutting board......he manned the grill.

Usual suspects gathered....

He devoured the first thing to come off this grill.....to slices of bacon.

More followed......

Ankle-biters emerged as soon as bacon started being cooked......

The smash burgers were too large for the Foreman.......made a mess of them.

The thing cooks onions and bacon like a champ, though !!!!!!!!

• By Smokehowze
      A Fermented Roasted Jalapeno Based Salsa and Hot Sauce 
      Here is a post to give you some ideas.  There is no recipe as such.  It all about mix and match to meet what tastes good to you.

Had a couple pounds of jalapeno peppers that were moving past their prime back in July.  So we decided to make a salsa which then got taken to another level as a fermented salsa and subsequent also as a hot sauce.
      Jalapenos (with seeds), red tomatoes, and white onions were all fire roasted on the Kamado and subsequently peeled/prepped and put in the Breville food processor along with some fresh garlic.
      It was all processed with some salt, some fresh black pepper, a bit of water and a a touch of vinegar and a pinch of sugar into a nice fine grained salsa.   Because of the seeds, the salsa mash had a serious wallop.  The yield was about 3/4 a gallon.  It tastes really nice.  Tortilla chips here we come!

I decided to ferment 1/2 a gallon of the salsa to let the ferment mellow the flavor/heat and to up the acidity.   
      For information on fermenting, just search the web as there is some good guidance out there.  Basically it involves the right percent salt brine covering the vegetables and keeping the air and related bacteria off the ferment until the good bacteria create the right level of preserving lactic acid.  For fermenting a mash like this since it is not submerged one keeps an eye on the top surface and just stirs under the top  level the first few days and keeps the air off the product with an airlock lid to avoid the wrong bacteria from getting established.  Again – go to the web or relevant research.
      I added some additional salt and ferment starter culture to the “salsa”  to set the correct ferment profile and jump start the process.  It’s like cheating with the seeding of lactic acid producing bacteria.  But in a good way.  Ferment starter can be a commercial culture or even the drained whey off an active culture yogurt. Even the vegetables themselves have natural bacteria that can be utilized.  Also any water should be non-chlorinated -  like a good bottled water.
      Let the ferment run for about 2- 3 weeks (depending on environmental conditions) on the counter but out of direct sunlight  (dark space around 70 degrees is ideal)  in an air lock equipped jar, tasting as needed every week and every couple days after the first couple weeks.  When it has progressed to the desired acidity level based on you tastes it should be thereafter refrigerated.  
      In another few weeks the overall flavor matures even more.    At that point, the flavor and acidity was getting where it should be as a young salsa/sauce but it was still way too pepper hot for some in the family because of the seed element. It will continue to improve over time.
      Now onto the hot sauce step… Pulled out the Oxo food mill and ran a cup or so of the salsa mash thru the mill on the finest mesh screen to get rid of the seeds.   Bingo!...The result is right on target.  Great flavor, just the right heat, excellent texture and body just as a hot sauce should be.  The flavor because of the tomato and onion plus the roasting step builds a more complex taste profile than just a peppers and vinegar product.  

For conveniently serving the hot sauce, I took an old empty Peychaud bitters bottle out of my jar/bottle stash and filled it.  I like these reclaimed bottles for uses such as this.  I drilled the plastic insert spigot hole a bit larger to match the hot sauce viscosity for getting the right amount of sauce splat in a shake.  Perfect. 
      As the remaining mash in the fridge further ages it will of itself further mellow in flavor and become even better for future bottling.  I have a prior hot pepper sauce that is over 7 years or more aging in the fridge and it is like perfection. Too bad there is not a lot left!
      Hope this give you some ideas.  I really wish you could taste this!
      PS…If you choose not to do a fermented approach for the acidity, then use vinegar and water to set the acidity and viscosity in your hot sauce.  Do a small batch or two from the mash and experiment.  Keep the salsa/mash in a sealed jar in the fridge and make new hot sauce as needed.  It just gets better over time.
      This is what science lab in high school should have been teaching us!  

• By DerHusker
      Atomic Shrimp = Bacon Wrapped Shrimp stuffed with Smoked Cheddar Cheese and Jalapeño.

This weekend I also made these again.

I took some U13 shrimp and split them as much as possible and then filled the cavity with sharp cheddar cheese, then a slice of jalapeno and then wrapped them in bacon.

I place them on the preheated (to 300) kamado for 5 to 6 minutes per side.

Let them cool for just a few minutes and then plated them up with some cilantro garnish.

These are sooo tasty.

Thanks for looking.