bicho6

Thoughts on the upcoming "DoJoe"

Anyone have an update for this? The more I thought about this the more I liked the idea. I hope they release soon so I can hold off my pizza oven fantasies for another year or two.

20 minutes ago, gotzero said:

Anyone have an update for this? The more I thought about this the more I liked the idea. I hope they release soon so I can hold off my pizza oven fantasies for another year or two.

I’d be betting on a spring realease.  Sometime in March or April.  That’s pretty much been the release time for most of KJ ‘s gadgets over the past several years.

5 minutes ago, GRSpartan said:

So, has this thing launched or what? Looks like you can order one at the link below. Hhhmmmm

https://www.abt.com/product/129758/Kamado-Joe-Classic-Joe-Do-Joe-KJDJ.html

Big Joe version is up too: https://www.abt.com/product/129756/Kamado-Joe-Big-Joe-Do-Joe-BJDJ.html

I hope I can get one by the time my family wants to spend time on the deck.

2 hours ago, gotzero said:

Big Joe version is up too: https://www.abt.com/product/129756/Kamado-Joe-Big-Joe-Do-Joe-BJDJ.html

I hope I can get one by the time my family wants to spend time on the deck.

26 minutes ago, GRSpartan said:

If those prices are accurate, that is more than I was willing to pay, unfortunately. :sad:

It’s not KJ’s fault.  Aluminum prices are up everywhere.  That’s hunking piece of high grade aluminum.  You have to add the cost of an 18.5 inch pizza stone to the mix.

38 minutes ago, GRSpartan said:

If those prices are accurate, that is more than I was willing to pay, unfortunately. :sad:

I actually thought that the $225.00 was pretty reasonable when compared with the price of comparable pizza-making devices such ast the Pizza-porta, Ooni (Uuni), etc.  Also seems to fall in line with the Joe-tisserie price point.

3 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:

I actually thought that the $225.00 was pretty reasonable when compared with the price of comparable pizza-making devices such ast the Pizza-porta, Ooni (Uuni), etc.  Also seems to fall in line with the Joe-tisserie price point.

People should be glad they’re not paying Canadian prices.  That’ll probably be $349-$369 Canadian MRSP.  

15 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

People should be glad they’re not paying Canadian prices.  That’ll probably be $349-$369 Canadian MRSP.  

couldnt the same be said about anything purchased in CA vs USA?  not sure you're point, but IMO the price of this device falls in line with other KJ accessories and other pizza making devices 

That is a big piece of aluminum with a fairly complicated casting/machining combo, it is honestly cheaper than I expected, and I cannot wait to get one to satisfy my pizza oven fantasies for a couple of years. 

5 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

It comes with a stone.

I know.  I was making a point the stone has to be factored into the cost too.

i wish there was a version without a stone.  I have 2 18.5 inch stones already.  I’m not sure what I would do with a 3rd BJ stone aside using it for a deflector on low and slows.

2 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

couldnt the same be said about anything purchased in CA vs USA?  not sure you're point, but IMO the price of this device falls in line with other KJ accessories and other pizza making devices 

It can.  It’s pretty much the standard.  Doesn’t mean you have to like it.  I’ll be curious to see if the 14-day estimate from ABT is accurate or people will be waiting longer. 

On 11/16/2018 at 12:35 PM, John Setzler said:

I spent two weeks cooking on the prototype of this unit.  My thoughts on it are that people who make their own pizza dough from scratch are going to be able to use it effectively.  People who want to buy premade doughs and take-and-bake pizzas instead are not going to like it.  

The philosophy behind this unit goes against the grain of what I see in most kamado owners.  Kamado owners are measurebators and want to have specific temperatures and specific control of those temperatures.  Tossing them into an environment where they don't have that level of control is going to create a situation where everyone, right out of the box, is going to be looking for and developing workarounds for the way the device is supposed to work.  

This device, as designed, likes to settle in at a dome temperature of 650-ish and the stone is gonna run about 100 degrees hotter than that in a lot of cases.  I have NOT tested the production model of this.  There has been an adjustment in the air gap between the deflectors and the pizza stone so I do not know about the differences that will make.  So it's still a mystery to me as to how the production model will behave.  

Will we be able to buy the DoJo from  Amazon through your Link anytime soon?

Have you seen the production unit?

In the abt description, I think it said temps between 400&700 degrees. Will you actually be able to control temperatures?

How about shutdown? How will that be accomplished? By removing the unit, or is there a door to put in place?