bicho6

Thoughts on the upcoming "DoJoe"

1 hour ago, Never L8 4 chow said:

Will we be able to buy the DoJo from  Amazon through your Link anytime soon?

Have you seen the production unit?

In the abt description, I think it said temps between 400&700 degrees. Will you actually be able to control temperatures?

How about shutdown? How will that be accomplished? By removing the unit, or is there a door to put in place?

I don't know when the DoJoe will be available through Amazon or anywhere else. I have not heard anything about a release date yet.  I have NOT seen the production unit yet.  My testing was done no a prototype.  That design has been changed since I tested.  I have not tested on the new design.  Temp control is not an easy thing to do on the DoJoe.  You can play with the lower vent and that is the only level of control you have.  With the DoJoe it's best, in my experience, to make your own pizza dough and let the grill settle where it wants.  There is no shutdown procedure or door for the opening.  It would not be safe to remove the unit while it's hot.  You will need to let the charcoal that is in the grill burn out.  You don't start this system with a full firebox of charcoal like you would for a long low and slow cook.

13 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

You don't start this system with a full firebox of charcoal like you would for a long low and slow cook.

Don't underestimate my pizza eating abilities ;)

In seriousness though, at least in the pre-prod model, did the insert hang lower into the firebox to prevent a full load of coal? Just curious really. When I do pizza I usually use the priors cooks remnants with a bit of new stuff around the starter(s) and let it burn out when I'm done, potentially after grilling some pineapple or peaches.

2 hours ago, KJTerp said:

Don't underestimate my pizza eating abilities ;)

In seriousness though, at least in the pre-prod model, did the insert hang lower into the firebox to prevent a full load of coal? Just curious really. When I do pizza I usually use the priors cooks remnants with a bit of new stuff around the starter(s) and let it burn out when I'm done, potentially after grilling some pineapple or peaches.

Like I said, this is a one trick pony.  If you want to try to remove it from the grill while it's hot, I'd have EMS on standby.   There is nothing to prevent you from stuffing it full of charcoal if you want to do that.  I can't promise you that you won't end up over 1000 degrees if you do.

John , thanks for all your input on this. I do 2 or 3 pizzas every Saturday night.

Make my own dough and sauce ,and try to bake them around 600 degrees.

The DoJoe looks like a great addition to all the other accessories I own.

Will be buying one when they are available. Cheaper than an outdoor pizza oven.

So is that abt site legit? Has anyone tried the pizza Porta? Is that a better option? I do a few pizzas on Friday nights and the top never cooks enough.  I like my cheese browned a bit. I usually flip the D&C over to get the stone higher in the dome.  This should fix that since the air is locked in at top. 

I wonder how the prod version compares to the Porta.