Thoughts on the upcoming "DoJoe"

bicho6

10 hours ago, John Setzler said:

You can make neapolitan style pizzas without going to 900f.  I do it all the time at 700f in my wood fired oven.  I have seen grill damaged in various ways by heating them that hot and holding them there for a length of time.  They CAN and WILL do it but I just can't recommend it.  

What sort of damages can occur apart from the gasket?

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, KamadoSalim said:

What sort of damages can occur apart from the gasket?

I'd be worried you'd crack your deflectors or cause dome damage from trying to cool it down too quickly

I'd also be concerned with your temp gauge being damaged from being held at its max reading for long periods of time

You could prob take it that hot every once in a while but if you were doing it more than 2 or 3 times a year, i imagine repeated exposure to the top end of its rated temp would shorten the life of the grill and could void your warrenty (would need to check the conditions to be sure)

Theres a reason traditional pizza ovens are built as thick as they are, 900f is HOT 

On 8/24/2018 at 11:25 AM, bicho6 said:

What are you thoughts on their new upcoming product?  

I e made a lot of great Kamado pizza and I like this design.  Looks like it will hold heat and not having a door will simplify the process.

pretty cool

I want one. I have a blackstone and an Uuni but would like to try one of these out. I have made pizzas on the joes using the extenders on top of the grates with deflectors then pizza stones on top and love the results, but this screams cool to me. Maybe someone can make one appear on my doorstep so I can put it to use. 

On 8/28/2018 at 8:56 AM, KJTerp said:

...I do find it slightly odd that there's no door....

Air flows differently in a wood fire oven than in Kamados. A Kamado vents at the top of the domed lid, so the hottest air escapes. A WFO vents low on the dome, capturing the hottest air in the dome. This makes the dome ceramic hotter, and gives you a bubble of hot air. Chefs use the bubble when they lift a pie so the top browns faster.

The biggest advantage I see, having done multiple pies in a BJ, is that you cook in equilibrium. No lid lifts, with associated changes in air flow and temperature. A whole series of pies can see nearly identical temperatures, top and bottom. Seems like a recipe for consistency in pizza cooks. Neat idea. 

HAve fun,

Frank

17 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The Doe-Joe designed to operate at 600-700 F.  I doubt you would hit 900 F with a Doe Joe unless you stick a too much lump. 

Kamados are a fuel rich- air limited environment. The amount of lump doesn’t make a difference.  

If you put a leaf blower in your bottom vent, that would be disasterous.  

14 minutes ago, Ben S said:

Kamados are a fuel rich- air limited environment. The amount of lump doesn’t make a difference.  

There isn't much limitation on air with the dough joe installed.

10 hours ago, Ben S said:

The goal is to run the DoeJoe no higher than 700 F.  You can easily accomplish that by not opening up the vents too much. 

4 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The goal is to run the DoeJoe no higher than 700 F.  You can easily accomplish that by not opening up the vents too much. 

Wait. You know this how? Have you used the dojo?  Seen one in person? 

1 hour ago, Charcoal Addict said:

Ben, It’s almost identical to the Kettle Pizza that’s been out for years.  Aside from the extra insulation on the Kamado, the same principles apply. 

Nope. Last I heard the dough joe was designed to run at 600-700 F by limiting airflow.  Last time I looked at a pizza kettle, there was no limits on airflow other than the stones.