You know you've had a sporty day of Kamado'ing when you have to shower afterwards to see what's left of your hair and eyebrows....

So that was the end of the day's cook story, but let's back up a bit to the beginning.

I had the other half of the dough from Remoh's Artisan Bucket Bread to deal with.  I took it out of the fridge and attempted to shape it and let it rise again.  The first cook I didn't do this step since it wasn't specified, but I think it turned out a bit better this time.

IMG_2259.thumb.JPG.db9bd2ec30cbe4f81d39da102c14835c.JPG

Was running the Big Joe about 450 degrees.  I wanted to get another bag of the Western Lump today, but they were all out.  Instead, and against my better judgement, I got a bag of B&B Hickory Lump.  I should have listened to my gut.  More on that later.

IMG_2260.thumb.JPG.0a4d8ac2d1ab32214db8ecb106b86e5d.JPG

Bread was looking really nice after 35 minutes.  I went ahead and temp'd it and it was right at 200.  I've never temp'd my bread before, but I probably will moving forward.  Seemed kind of silly, but it was easy enough and nice to know it was where it needed to be.

IMG_2264.thumb.JPG.fb49b4689fc3317c6d4a2094afb3ef19.JPG

Sliced it up.  And, even though it looked ok, it had an unexpected smoky flavor.  My fire was burning clean and hot, so I was surprised.  This was only the beginning of my lump woes.  

IMG_2268.thumb.JPG.9097b44dd7fe4100d28f7f78d12470f5.JPG

I let the grill ride while I attempted to take a short nap.  The older one had a sleepover last night, so the whole house was up very late.  And then the guests had a very early departure, so the whole house was up very early as well.  

I decided that because I wasn't thrilled with the weird taste on the bread, that I was going to kill that bag of lump.  Topped off the Big Joe and set it for around 350 while I went to the store for a few more things.  Had pulled a couple of T-Bones and a nice pork chop from the freezer earlier in the day.  Came home to find my husband pulled some shrimp for himself as well.

Ramped up the grill a bit when I got back and prepped some veggies  Cut up some baby red potatoes and also sliced some yellow squash and cut up some asparagus.  Only got pics of the potatoes on as things got a bit western there for a few moments and I had to regroup.... 

IMG_2270.thumb.JPG.ab5bed27e4d53df617f64c81f8623c6b.JPG

I'm no stranger to burping a kamado and it is second nature for me.  I burped my kamado going in to flip my potatoes  Lifted a little and had some flair out. Lowered and immediately lifted again a little bit.  Nothing....  Lifted the lid and "whoosh" - a ball of flames came billowing out.  For whatever reason, I tend to not freak out about such things and I finished opening the lid.  With the Big Joe, that is a little bit of a reach for me.  Well, I soon smell singed hair and realize I've taken a direct hit.  I patted out the right side of my hair - thankfully held back by my sunglasses - and felt an unnerving crunch of my scorched hair.  

Well, the show must go on as they say... so I stepped back and took a few moments to try and knock off and brush away all my singed hair and do a damage assessment on my sunglasses.  Thankfully, they were fine.  Got my game face on and went in again to get my veggies done and get ready for the proteins to go on.  

Burped again and this time I had flames shoot out the bottom vent towards my legs.  Sheesh....  Burped again and flames licking out the edge of the dome. Burped again and the same.  After numerous burps threw up the lid and carried on.

Shrimp, t-bones and pork chop on.

IMG_2273.thumb.JPG.73aa388a23fd3cab1c0dd09cdeee5a0c.JPG

At this point, I just left the lid up and went for it.  I didn't want to mess around with another blowout.

IMG_2276.thumb.JPG.f9d4dc9c5405683e291b126a24f2c2b2.JPG

IMG_2278.thumb.JPG.68d0bb89e29976f60a3037e8a97204d7.JPG

Just about done - and didn't take long.

IMG_2279.thumb.JPG.82db636655de3518050e4eb628eb8348.JPG

The 5 year old was super proud of herself - she came outside and said she had set the table.  Came in and indeed she had perfectly set the table with paper plates and plasticware.  Worked for me as I was a bit out of sorts and thankful for the help.

Only got a shot of my pork chop.  This was seasoned with some rub a co-worker in Oklahoma sent me last week.  It had a little bite to it and was really good.  It got a bit dark, but that was not surprising with the inferno I had going on.  

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.664c1747aa393db3ae7b62d3f3898f96.JPG

The T-Bones were a perfect rare for the hardcore carnivores in the family.

Showered directly after dinner to assess the damage.  Put about 3 different treatments in my hair.  Figured I would blitz it with everything and hope for the best.  Only missing half my right eyebrow and a 1/4 or so of my left.  The hair poking out from my sunglasses in front and the right side took the worst of it, but I don't think anyone will notice.  My forehead feels like I've got a good sunburn.  

I've never been scared of my grill before - but I was tonight.  Don't think I will tangle with that lump again - I've just never experienced anything like that before.  I definitely do my fair share of high heat grilling, but never experiences anything like tonight.  And never, ever have I had flames shoot out the bottom vent.  

And I'm sure it wasn't the lump itself... I'm guessing it was the fact that I topped off a dwindling but full bed of coals with more lump.  I didn't think I had enough to carry me through the cook.  That probably just got an insane amount of lump going which caused my issues.  Still... I don't like the flavor my bread took on, so I won't be getting the B&B again... some of it seemed to be a bit uncarbonized, so maybe that was part of it.

1 hour ago, GrillnBrew said:

Sure your Big Joe wasn't jealous of your KK and was just venting...?

Eyebrows and hair grow back, eyes and hands don't, glad you were not hurt.

Nice looking steaks.

Thanks GrillnBrew!  Lol.... I don’t think the Big Joe could have been jealous yet because the KK hasn’t made her debut on the deck.  Still in the garage.... Which is ok because deck cooking is for the long cold winter. Summertime is definitely patio grilling season in a spot where I can sit out by the grill and enjoy the cook. 

Agree for sure - eyebrows and hair grow back and it could have been much worse. It was an eye opener and humbling experience for sure.

The steaks turned out great. My pork chop just got a little dark since it was on a bit longer. But it tasted great nonetheless. 

39 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Definitely sounds like you had a grilling adventure, but sounds like you prevaled and played a good meal.  Glad to hear you didn't get singed too bad. 

Thank you, TKOBBQ!  I did prevail with a good meal although for a moment I though about shutting it down with the veggies that were on and throwing in the towel.  Manned up and got ‘er done....

Was tempted to name the thread “Cooking Over the Portal to H-e-double toothpicks”, but thought better of it. Sure felt like that though... totally wicked. Never experienced anything like it. 

All the lump was fully carbonized during that cook. I fired it up again Sunday and did another loaf of bread with the remnants and this time no off flavor. So I think my theory was right on that at least. I ran it hot for hours on Sunday too - and there was less ash than usual - the lump definitely had staying power....  So I think there was a little something with the lump itself being different than I’m used to as well. And maybe the configuration I was running. Who knows - a number of factors at play - biggest one being the operator I’m sure. :)

Great looking food......sorry you had to deal with the dangerous conditions.  

Glad the burn burn was limited.

i’ve had my share of those cases before.  I always attributed it to a buildup of fat finally ignition.....like from prior burger cooks.....not sure.

5 hours ago, Dub said:

Great looking food......sorry you had to deal with the dangerous conditions.  

Glad the burn burn was limited.

i’ve had my share of those cases before.  I always attributed it to a buildup of fat finally ignition.....like from prior burger cooks.....not sure.

Thanks Dub!  Definitely learned something with this cook.  I'll be much more careful moving forward if I have any flair out upon initial burp.

4 hours ago, Red River Smoke said:

Crazy! I've been dealing with some sub-par lump lately too, the Royal Oak in the yellow/green bags, (Menards) leaving everything much smokier than anticipated.  It hasn't flared up like that though, glad all will be well though!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about the Menards yellow / tan-ish and green bags. I've never liked it and actually was really surprised the first time I tried to red bag to find I liked it much better.  That said, in the past year or so, I've had a lot more uncarbonized stuff and garbage in my RO red bag.  I started ordering Fogo and will probably stick with it.

19 minutes ago, Ron5850 said:

Happy to hear no serious injuries. And just something we can laugh at . Your Cook's look fantastic KK by the way.

Thank you, @Ron5850!  I think those motherly instincts kicked in and kept me from dropping the Big Joe lid - it all happened so fast I definitely wasn't consciously thinking about what I was doing.  Not sure it was the best option for KK to lift it all the way up since I have to lean into it, but definitely the best option for the Big Joe.  So both KK and BJ live to grill another day....  and have a good story to kick around every now and then.    

Food looks great. Love the bread and eyebrows are over-rated anyway! Glad it was a good story and not a hospital visit. Somehow your description reminds me of the discussion we were having last week on the fine line between bravery and stupidity ;-)

3 hours ago, AntinOz said:

Food looks great. Love the bread and eyebrows are over-rated anyway! Glad it was a good story and not a hospital visit. Somehow your description reminds me of the discussion we were having last week on the fine line between bravery and stupidity ;-)

Ah yes.... the fine line between bravery and stupidity. I like to scout that out on a regular basis to make sure I don’t lose track of where it is. ;)

On 8/26/2018 at 1:18 PM, KismetKamado said:

Only missing half my right eyebrow and a 1/4 or so of my left.

Oh is that all???!?!?!?!  LOL

Also, I know the feeling of touching your hair and feeling it crackle and crunch!!  Your description brought back less-than-fond memories...

Thanks for the timely warning about the fact that we're all playing with fire (literally).  I do tend to be a bit cavalier with my KJ (especially after a few beverages), so I'll use this as a note to be more careful.  Thanks (and super-glad you're OK)!!!

1 hour ago, shuley said:

However I will never try the B&B lump now.  

B&B comes in at least 4 different versions:

Oak

Hickory

Mesquite and

Competition logs (an extruded charcoal) 

Just don't try the mesquite.