Pulled the traeger !

well for some reason when i add @ it wont let me type after the name is inserted

anyway bosco in a previous  post you made you had said the 1300 was a problem child do you still feel that way

also amazing ribs says its hard to keep temp up once you open the timberline cause it takes a bit to get back to temp do you feel that way as well

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't cooked on the 1300 so my answer is based on my personal preferences in grills.  I 'most likely' would still prefer the 850 the same way I prefer the Kamado Joe Classic over the Big Joe.  The

I live in Canada so it is a bit different.  But @freddyjbbq bought a certain amount and got free shipping and a 25.00 gift card from costco....   The gourmet blend is the real deal.  I love

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Stile 88 said:

well for some reason when i add @ it wont let me type after the name is inserted

anyway bosco in a previous  post you made you had said the 1300 was a problem child do you still feel that way

also amazing ribs says its hard to keep temp up once you open the timberline cause it takes a bit to get back to temp do you feel that way as well

The first generation of the 1300 has some serious flaws.  Traeger has sent out multiple software updates, and stopped production on the 1300 for a while while they sorted things out.  

The new new units which I was given to replace my first run has been flawless for well over a year now.  

If you are running 500 in the dead of winter there is a recovery time but for the most part I haven’t needed that temp in the cold months as I still own a Kamado.  

Low and slow slow recovery not an issue and I haven’t experienced any issues from 350-450 range all year and for the few 500° cooks in the warmer months I haven’t seen any issue with recovery.  

Recovery was problematic on the version 1 software but they seem to have corrected it for the most part from what I am seeing and enjoying.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 8:44 PM, bosco said:

@Stile 88 if I can add some input here. I have both the 850 and 1300 and the pellet consumption is better but not significant enough to notice.  The 850 heats faster and 850 sq inches of grilling space out sizes the yoder 640 for example. 

So so I do agree with John with respect to the bigger is better being an over rated term. I would suggest that a pellet and Kamado is the best mix.  

I would get a 1300 and keep a classic or get an 850 and keep a big joe.   

I use my traegers eclusivley for low and slow and never use my Kamado for smoking anymore.  I use the Traeger for most grilling and weekday cooks.  My kamado has become more of a high heat machine or pizza cooker or used on the days that I feel like a charcoal meal.  

Other than that I use my Traeger about 95% of the time.  

I will say for the 300.00 difference the 1300 seems like a no brainer.  They are identical with the exception of the 1300 being exactly 12” linger in the cooking chamber.  

Best bang for the buck 1300 all day long.  

Pellet consupmtion isnt isn’t significant enough to exclude one from the other but like I said the 850 heats faster but we are talking minutes. 

Hope that helps 

Bosco do you use only Traeger pellets?  Or have you used others?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 3:57 PM, divot1973 said:

Bosco do you use only Traeger pellets?  Or have you used others?  

Sorry I missed this post.  I use traeger pellets exclusively now but have tried others with mix reviews.  

Bbqers delight struggled to get temps hot but had a great aroma on low and slow.  They say they are 100% wood flavour of whatever wood you get.  I went with peach and it makes sense because they didn’t work on high heat.  

Lumberjack pellets worked but they were really small small compared to other brands.  

So so now I am a Traeger pellet user.  I love the stuff from Costco.  The gourmet blend of hickory maple and cherry. Very nice aroma and hits the meat with some great smoke.  

On 8/31/2018 at 8:44 AM, Stile 88 said:

lol oh i already know bosco has very nice setups

On 8/31/2018 at 7:00 AM, freddyjbbq said:

Careful if you  ask @bosco this question , he is very convincing and you could wind up with both lol

Dang it, I've fallen victim to my own advice! 850 on the way lol

18 hours ago, bosco said:

Sorry I missed this post.  I use traeger pellets exclusively now but have tried others with mix reviews.  

Bbqers delight struggled to get temps hot but had a great aroma on low and slow.  They say they are 100% wood flavour of whatever wood you get.  I went with peach and it makes sense because they didn’t work on high heat.  

Lumberjack pellets worked but they were really small small compared to other brands.  

So so now I am a Traeger pellet user.  I love the stuff from Costco.  The gourmet blend of hickory maple and cherry. Very nice aroma and hits the meat with some great smoke.  

Thanks for the info.  I'll save my time and stick with what works.  I love the Traeger Oak.  I've seen the costco pellets.  I'll have to give them a try.

17 hours ago, divot1973 said:

Thanks for the info.  I'll save my time and stick with what works.  I love the Traeger Oak.  I've seen the costco pellets.  I'll have to give them a try.

I live in Canada so it is a bit different.  But @freddyjbbq bought a certain amount and got free shipping and a 25.00 gift card from costco....

The gourmet blend is the real deal.  I love it

On 10/17/2018 at 9:55 AM, bosco said:

I live in Canada so it is a bit different.  But @freddyjbbq bought a certain amount and got free shipping and a 25.00 gift card from costco....

The gourmet blend is the real deal.  I love it

Agree bro, the gourmet blend is where it's at!  If u have a Costco card in the USA, they offer 33# bag for $24.99 free shipping.

I got a new executive membership so they gave me a free $20 cash card & several coupons including $25.00 an online purchase of $250.00 so I bought 11 bags & got 1 bag free.  Free shipping on all, very nice.

• 4 weeks later...

I have some questions for you guys that have had your Timberline's for a while now. How are the interior parts holding up? I have never been able to get a straight answer, if the heat deflector and drip tray are 1304 stainless steel or something else. Are you seeing any significant rust on them, or anywhere else on the grill? Any warping problem with the drip tray or heat deflector? I have read about problems with the grease drain setup, any problems with that?

14 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I have some questions for you guys that have had your Timberline's for a while now. How are the interior parts holding up? I have never been able to get a straight answer, if the heat deflector and drip tray are 1304 stainless steel or something else. Are you seeing any significant rust on them, or anywhere else on the grill? Any warping problem with the drip tray or heat deflector? I have read about problems with the grease drain setup, any problems with that?

Hello Earl,

i have the Timberlines 1300 & 850 and a Ranger now and have been cooking the heck out of them every week and weekend, trying to cook/bake/grill everything i possibly can.

i'm not sure the type of stainless used, but i cover them with aluminum foil and don't have any rust or warping on any of the models.

as far as the grease drain set up, i've seen a post or two saying how to prevent an issue but i've never actually seen an issue or had one myself.  Not sure the circumstances where others have had an issue but is seems that 99% of the grease/drippings that land on the foil turn in to a solid and dont make it to the grease catcher.

i've had the same liner in all 3 grease collection drawers/pail since i bought them and there is barely anything in any of them & i've done it all, multiple cooks of: ribs, brisket, chicken, pork butts, jerky, wings, burgers, bacon, pig candy, etc.

Finally, Traeger has a ridiculous 3 year warranty;  they replace any parts with virtually no questions asked, its crazy.

what model are you looking at?

You will get some rust but I keep mine foiled so it’s non issue.  The steel bends a bit over two years but never enough to be a concern.  

You also get a 3 year warranty that will cover warping and the rusting if it is an issue.  

It has been non issue for me to be honest.  As for the grease trap, I don’t use the cap anymore on the trap and it has been flawless 

20 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Thanks guys. I am still researching and as always, my budget is creeping up. I may end up getting the Timberline but I am still trying to buy an american made grill, so I really don't know what I will end up with, if anything.

keep your eye out for Black Friday special deals!