John Setzler

Raspberry Glazed Pork Loin

20180830_VidThumbLoin.jpg

20180829_PorkLoin.jpg

I cut myself a center piece from a whole pork loin that weight about 3lbs.  I trimmed and trussed it and tossed it in a brine overnight.  My brine was made with salt, molasses, smashed garlic and black peppercorns...

I seared the loin over direct heat while basting it with a raspberry jam glaze that had some maple syrup and Tabasco Chipotle sauce in it.. i reserved some of that glaze for a post cook drizzle...

I made this yesterday and it was quite tasty. Two lessons learned:

- If you leave the loin in the brine overnight then the molasses will strongly color the meat almost black. The taste was fine it just looked odd. And the color was only on the surface. 

- Flip the meat often; the molasses infuses sugar into the surface and the meat can burn very easily. I had a little too much char on one side but not enough to harm the flavor.  

1 hour ago, LargeRedJoe said:

I made this yesterday and it was quite tasty. Two lessons learned:

- If you leave the loin in the brine overnight then the molasses will strongly color the meat almost black. The taste was fine it just looked odd. And the color was only on the surface. 

- Flip the meat often; the molasses infuses sugar into the surface and the meat can burn very easily. I had a little too much char on one side but not enough to harm the flavor.  

Interesting.. mine didn't turn black.. it turned gray as you can see in the video...