Brisket help

Ubet

I did my first brisket last weekend on my vision grill and used my flame boss 3oo. I smoked it at 250, wrapped it at 150 pulled it off at 203 internal temp. But it was a little dry, and didn't just fall apart, and the bark wouldn't stay on. It kept falling off. I cooked it fat side up, and did score it a little to deep. Anyone have any suggestions? 

Might want to consider cooking fat cap down next time. Consider it insurance for your brisket or pork. 

I’m not a big BBQ / smoking person, so not much input here. You were using deflectors, right?  Just curious what your setup was with no on the grill shots. 

Was it possible the probes were too close to the meat and picking up some ambient coolness making you run a bit hotter than you thought?

And finally, did you enjoy your cook?  Even if it wasn’t great, I most always enjoy my cook. Learn from this one and take it to the next with you. 

And usually hard to nail a good brisket if not doing a whole packer....

Fat isn’t bark, it’s just fat, try fat down. You say you wrapped at 150°, that’s too early, if there was any bark, it hadn’t set yet. Wrap when it enters the stall, or roughly 165°. Did you probe it before you pulled? Brisket can be done anywhere between 190°-210°, so probe tender is key. 

So I'm a newbie as well, bought my KJ Classic last December and have cooked a couple of flats (6-7 lb. range) and have had my share of challenges. First one I cooked at 245 with a pan of water below, but let the water evaporate (duh). Second one I cooked at 225, kept plenty of water below and refreshed with boiling water only. After about 10 hours I had to bump the temp to 300 because my guests were starving. BTW: I wrapped it in pink butcher paper at about 170, and the meat temp kept falling, finally rising after hitting bottom at 163.

There's a lot of science and a lot of art too. I was at a farmer's market and a guy who looked like he'd been cooking brisket for 40+ years had a pull behind smoker with three bays and he was cooking at 265, unwrapped.

So all I can add is keep at it. Each cut of meat is different too, so while experience comes with its share of failures, you'll eventually get there.

Not sure the grade as it was ranch raised beef supplies but my employer. I'll try fat cap down and wrap at 165 this time. I pulled it off at 203 and left it wrapped, threw it in a cooler for two hours last time, so that's one reason it over cooked. I got told to pull around 190, or probe tender as stated above. I'll also try injecting it every 30mins this time. I have drippings from the last one I was thinking of using. Or do you have any other suggestions? 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, Ubet said:

Not sure the grade as it was ranch raised beef supplies but my employer. I'll try fat cap down and wrap at 165 this time. I pulled it off at 203 and left it wrapped, threw it in a cooler for two hours last time, so that's one reason it over cooked. I got told to pull around 190, or probe tender as stated above. I'll also try injecting it every 30mins this time. I have drippings from the last one I was thinking of using. Or do you have any other suggestions? 

Might want to let it rest before throwing it in the cooler.

Yes, trimming the fat cap down helps.  But, i've found foiling briskets steams the bark more than crisps it up.   I've seen a great improvement in my briskets in going from foil to grill rated butcher paper.  I also quit messing around with the points (I don't really do burnt ends) and sticking with just the flats for slicing.