Icepaq

Lump charcoal

I tried CharBoil lump. Still have a couple of boxes in the shed. It's not bad but reported 3" average is crap. 1"-2" at the most is more like it. It's hardwood lump from Russia. Buy it while you can. If it was really 3" average I'd buy it up. For now I'll stick with Fogo Black Bag. 

On 9/2/2018 at 11:03 PM, Mr Cue said:

I see you're in GA so I'll assume you have an Academy Sports near by? If so, see if they have any of the Char Broil Center Cut Lump, it's amazing and some stores are practically giving it away! I scored a box at the store in Hixson, Tn while I was down that way last month and was completely blown away by it. I paid a whopping $3.99 for the box, my only regret is that I didn't buy several more!

Normally I burn RO red bag; there is a local independent producer that is owned by the family of a friend so I know it's good stuff. B&B is gaining popularity and is used by comp cooks like Big Moe Cason, I've not tried it. BGE is rebranded Royal Oak, not worth the price. Kamado Joe is excellent but a bit pricy and not locally available to me so I don't use it often. 

The only bad I've ever tried is Cowboy; it's ruined a dinner or two and if that's all that I can find, I'll generally delay the cook or go out of my way to get something else. Cowboy Lump is complete garbage; literally and figuratively. I've never found so many scraps as in Cowboy. You will get the occasional hunk of kiln brick in RO, but I've found unprocessed mill scraps and steal banding in Cowboy. I find that it's hit or miss on the way it burns and flavors it gives off, the last bag I used produced a terrible amount of smoke and an off odor... No more of that for me!

I actually saw the char broil brand last Saturday at academy in Athens. I’m going tomorrow so if it’s still got a decent price, it’s coming home. Aside from some small pieces and dust, I got no complaints with RO though. I will def try the CB though. It’s the least I can do since two of my last three grills have char broil...Right??

21 hours ago, Icepaq said:

I actually saw the char broil brand last Saturday at academy in Athens. I’m going tomorrow so if it’s still got a decent price, it’s coming home. Aside from some small pieces and dust, I got no complaints with RO though. I will def try the CB though. It’s the least I can do since two of my last three grills have char broil...Right??

They have it for underlying $3 wish they had it that cheap out this way. Even called them to see if they would ship it. 

So how did the Char Broil lump train work out for others?

I ordered 4 boxes, and just got into my first one this weekend.

All I can say is where’s the lump?

3 inches my rump, more like 3 centimeters if I’m lucky.

I poured out the box into my coal container, and was overwhelmed by a cloud of black dust. There were a few 2” pieces, but most where thumb size and smaller, mostly chips that would fall through my KJ basket.

Fortunately I had some of my Fogo lump left over, and was able to line my basket with it and mix this stuff into it.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Better I hope. I still have 3 more boxes of the stuff.

3 hours ago, Never L8 4 chow said:

So how did the Char Broil lump train work out for others?

I ordered 4 boxes, and just got into my first one this weekend.

All I can say is where’s the lump?

3 inches my rump, more like 3 centimeters if I’m lucky.

I poured out the box into my coal container, and was overwhelmed by a cloud of black dust. There were a few 2” pieces, but most where thumb size and smaller, mostly chips that would fall through my KJ basket.

Fortunately I had some of my Fogo lump left over, and was able to line my basket with it and mix this stuff into it.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Better I hope. I still have 3 more boxes of the stuff.

I've gone through about 10 boxes over the last couple of years and my experience was the same as yours. It's decent lump but the size is a bit small. I won't try/buy it again. I have about 1/2 a box left then I'm done with it for good. 

My current favorite is Fogo black bag. Decent lump and sized to my liking. 

Here is my lump and my retort.  I use pecan and some willow oak.  I try to use pecan and hickory when I can but settle for oak if needed.  I find that the small pieces are only a problem if they block the air flow, otherwise they work really well.  A basket would solve that. I have more problems if all the pieces are large.  I mostly cook low and slow and the large pieces sometimes don’t catch the next piece on fire so I try to mix them. The pieces that don’t convert well go back in the retort or some are used as chucks of wood.  I use the bark and all and I find that it doesn’t hurt the cook at all.  The dust and really small pieces go into the garden or plant beds. 

48139DE4-B3D7-4F2D-823E-EEA0AC3A75BE.jpeg

AA5F5E03-2583-4214-80F0-D667AC742FC9.jpeg