Icepaq

Lump charcoal

11 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I still do not understand the logic involved in this at all. :rofl:

I understand it.... that’s all that really matters. :)

Did a quick tally tonight and I have less undesirable to burn off than I thought. 250 pounds total on hand. 70ish of stuff I don’t like. Burning up a small tan and green bag royal oak before the weekend with leftover Western. Then I have two bags left to mix.  A 30ish pound bag of Wicked Good that doesn’t light or burn hot worth a darn and a 30ish pound bag of Vision branded mesquite from Sam’s a couple years back that is super sparky and weird smokey if not doing high heat. Hopefully mixing those will result in something tolerable.

Everything else is Fogo or Char Broil. I’ll be done with the yucky stuff by the end of the month for sure. And with my Labor Day weekend haul of 350 pounds I’m set for a few months. Woohoo!

I have tried quite a few over the years.   I liked rockwood...OK... I may have gotten a couple bags that were tossed around as I had quite a bit of crumble.   I am on about my 5th bag of Kamado Joe XL and it has been great.  Little waste, and easy to break up larger chunks.  And it burns clean from the start. 

On 9/5/2018 at 9:51 PM, KismetKamado said:

I understand it.... that’s all that really matters. :)

Did a quick tally tonight and I have less undesirable to burn off than I thought. 250 pounds total on hand. 70ish of stuff I don’t like. Burning up a small tan and green bag royal oak before the weekend with leftover Western. Then I have two bags left to mix.  A 30ish pound bag of Wicked Good that doesn’t light or burn hot worth a darn and a 30ish pound bag of Vision branded mesquite from Sam’s a couple years back that is super sparky and weird smokey if not doing high heat. Hopefully mixing those will result in something tolerable.

Everything else is Fogo or Char Broil. I’ll be done with the yucky stuff by the end of the month for sure. And with my Labor Day weekend haul of 350 pounds I’m set for a few months. Woohoo!

It appears you and I have the same disease - I scored another 80lbs of of "Extra Wood Lump Charcoal " this weekend from a discount store that reduced it to $3 a / 10 lb bag, 

It's still in the box of my truck waiting until I can find a place to hide it from the Bride.

1 hour ago, glenn3 said:

It's still in the box of my truck waiting until I can find a place to hide it from the Bride.

Lol. I’ve been there done that - successfully kept the back end of the suburban fully loaded for months once.  I just came up with a reason to take the truck whenever we went anywhere together. 

FedEx delivered 250 pounds of Fogo to work today. I’ve got 35 in the suburban. The rest is stashed to be brought home slowly as to not raise any eyebrows. 

Still waiting on 100 ish pounds of Char Broil....

1 hour ago, KismetKamado said:

Lol. I’ve been there done that - successfully kept the back end of the suburban fully loaded for months once.  I just came up with a reason to take the truck whenever we went anywhere together. 

FedEx delivered 250 pounds of Fogo to work today. I’ve got 35 in the suburban. The rest is stashed to be brought home slowly as to not raise any eyebrows. 

Still waiting on 100 ish pounds of Char Broil....

Well well.

Could it be you have a a bit of an addiction going here? Perhaps worse off than I thought. Maybe the odd random purchase of a purse or two, [on sale, online] here and there, would not be so bad?

You can hide a purse in the back of a closet pretty easily. 300# of charcoal - not so much.

Just saying...

19 hours ago, pilot67 said:

Hey New guy here.  When using lump is it best to use large pieces when doing a low and slow cook over several hours?

I'm no expert, but I seem to get the best results with a mix of small and large pieces.