Sign in to follow this  
MD_Ag

Meat Fest 2018

The end of summer always means a large, meat filled gathering for me and my friends that we call "Meat Fest". One friend is smoking a turkey, another is making pit beef and ham for sandwiches. Me? Just these little guys:

20180901_182753arfj6.jpg

That's an 11.68 lb brisket (asked for a smaller one, after all) and an 11.26 lb pork belly. The beef was surprisingly well trimmed already, so I just had to remove some of the hard fat. Coat with the 50/50 S&P mix, and we're ready to go overnight on a 240° grill.

20180901_193458ydidy.jpg

The pork belly was my first example of the item. Interesting learning to remove the skin. Should have cut the belly into some sections first. I'm following a BBQpitboys recipe to cut the belly into small pieces, using a spicy southwestern rub. I added some extra brown sugar to tone it down some. The two trays of the chunks will sit in the fridge overnight, waiting to go on as soon as the brisket comes off.

20180901_205921gji9q.jpg

More updates in the morning.

Well I am very confused. The grill was stable at 240. After the brisket went on, the probe settled around 220. Seems reasonable. But after only three hours, the meat probe reads 167. Couldn't believe it, but a second backup probe confirms it.

The dome thermometer reads around 290, but it's always higher and I've got the meat and probe on the low grate. Looks like I'll be staying up late instead of setting a probe alarm.

Discovered the issue: probe was touching some foil I had put in to deflect heat from the thinnest part of the flat. When moved, but still above deflector, the temp rating shot up to 300. So the dome temp was actually correct. I think grease drips were also fueling more combustion.

I've nearly closed the vents and put the whole thing in an aluminum pan to try to keep the temp down. Basically I am now trying for the world's longest stall.

I wouldn't necessarily say "averted". I got the grill back on track, but sleep deprivation was winning. Set the alarm on the probe receiver and went to bed. Woke up to the meat at 195 and the grill at 325. Seems I left the top vent open more than I thought. Still not thinking clearly, so I just closed everything to keep the meat at temp. Woke up an hour later, meat was at 208.

The meat is tender, and there's still plenty of juice, but I'm still mad at myself. Seems like I keep getting worse on briskets. It's wrapped up in towels sitting in the oven. Hopefully the BBQ sauce for the pit beef can cover up some faults.

Also looking into spoiling myself with one of those fan temp controllers. Do they make one that fits Vision Classics?

Getting there. Had the fire die on me (tough to correctly light new coals when the ceramic is still warmed up), so these went for two hours covered. Hoping for a nice sticky glaze after one more hour with no foil.

20180902_133219ondzi.jpg

Let's just say this whole thing is turning into a (hopefully tasty) comedy of errors.

Final pictures:

The pit beef and ham were excellent. Sadly they cannot be recreated, as that chef was under the influence of multiple rum and cokes. He only knew a few ingredients based on what he found on the counter when he woke up.

20180902_143407jvi1q.jpg

20180902_143355h1ich.jpg

Sadly no shot of the entire turkey, but it had an awesome dark golden skin. I believe it was made on a pit barrel cooker.

20180902_162401iacev.jpg

The brisket was, as suspected, way over done. I tried to make due with thicker slices, but most still fell apart. The cubes from the point were still pretty good.

20180902_162408a8i0w.jpg

The pork belly was my favorite. Sweet and spicy and juicy and chewy. Some had a bit too much fat, but I don't think that can really be avoided.

20180902_1624143reol.jpg

Not pictured are all the chips, dips, cookies, pasta salad, etc. that gave us something other than protein to consume. Thanks for reading along with the cook today.