Sign in to follow this  
JeffieBoy

Labour Day Brisket

Well got the Akorn out and ready to go.  Going to fire it up at around 2am.  Load it around 3 and then wake hourly to check on the progress.  Will be sleeping out on the patio tonight, fighting off the raccoons and skunks who tend to like the smell when I am cooking and get quite curious.  

A few weeks ago I ended up in Toronto at a BBQ store.  I haven't been happy with my charcoal options lately so I bit the bullet and bought the salespersons suggestion.  Fogo super lump premium at $44CAD for 17 pounds.  Holy Effin' WOW!  Where have you been all my life baby?!?!  About a dozen pieces filled the entire fire bowl of the Akorn. I added both Hickory and Maple chunks for the smoke aspect.

6B1AD75E-D4A3-42A8-B956-38A72293C0D0.thumb.jpeg.b90d60bf551d34c0ea5e6d868ad34079.jpeg

Next, to prep the Brisket, get my sleeping bag out and hit the showersi.  More details to follow!

I can’t wait to see the brisket, too!  

And I have been inspired.... why have I never thought of sleeping on the patio???  This sounds like a solid plan. I think I’m going to have to try it.  :)

Hope you like the Fogo!  I have some Super Premium, but usually end up getting their black bag. Awesome that you found a store that stocks it. 

18 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

I can’t wait to see the brisket, too!  

And I have been inspired.... why have I never thought of sleeping on the patio???  This sounds like a solid plan. I think I’m going to have to try it.  :)

Hope you like the Fogo!  I have some Super Premium, but usually end up getting their black bag. Awesome that you found a store that stocks it. 

I bought it online the other day of the sale on @ckreefs recommendation, but I am excited to try it.

Isn't sleeping outside near your smoker on overnight cooks considered “de rigeur”???  I have always done this.  Last night was damp though even under the overhanging roof.  

Brisket was dusted with a blend of Montreal Steak Spice, Pepper, Onion Powder & Hungariian Paprika.  Meat came off at 3pm, so a full 12:15 on the smoke.  Maybe a little long, but who really knows until I slice it up. It's sleeping under two bath towls in some foil right now until we are ready to serve in about an hour.

The Fogo charcoal was really nice to work with.  I had only two spikes (255-260 degrees) and both times I was alseep. I was using only the Akorn with a Weber iGrill 2, nothing supplemental temp control.  Didn,t really use much either.  Probably salvage most for next smoke

Prepping boiled corn, potatoes and salad right now.  Family should be here any minute,.

One more report to follow later tonight.

21C99A2D-B79A-4531-B926-50D6167CD74F.jpeg

AF905F0A-C302-48A8-8AE6-A48700FCC7B1.jpeg

Brisket looks fantastic!  What's the story with the onions on top - it's intriguing.....  :)

And no, I have not made a habit of sleeping with my smoker, but if it's proper etiquette then I kind of feel obligated to.... I'll just explain to my husband that it will be bad manners if I don't sleep with Big Joe - I'm sure he'll understand.  ;)

6 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Brisket looks fantastic!  What's the story with the onions on top - it's intriguing.....  :)

And no, I have not made a habit of sleeping with my smoker, but if it's proper etiquette then I kind of feel obligated to.... I'll just explain to my husband that it will be bad manners if I don't sleep with Big Joe - I'm sure he'll understand.  ;)

Another man? GASP!

46 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Not just an average Joe either, but a BIG Joe.

Go big or go home!

I actually do really like the thought of patio sleeping for an overnight cook. One of those anti- gravity chairs and I’d be all set. In the summer of course!  Lol. 

On 9/3/2018 at 4:37 PM, KismetKamado said:

If I wrap some meat (Texas Crutch I think it's called?) I slice an onion and toss it on top, hoping that any reduction juices drip into the neat, and hopefully some extra flavour.  Plus cooked onions in the bottom of the serving platter are a bonus for whomever goes back for seconds. In this case my brother in law won.

I have a fishing buddy named Joe who is 6' 7” and with whom I have shared a cottage for a week, so I guess I have slept beside Big Joe and just didn't realize it.