Hope the guajillo chicken was good!  Looks great from where I’m sitting. 

Here’s my confession.... well, let’s call it my second confession of the night since I already admitted to cocktailing and kamado’ing in the other thread..... but I digress....  

I.... have.... never.... cooked.... or eaten.... lamb!

There - I said it!  

I got a small rack of lamb to cook once and my husband totally flipped out. It didn’t get cooked. :(

Looks like it turned out really really good, but having a hard time imagining how it tasted...

9 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Hope the guajillo chicken was good!  Looks great from where I’m sitting. 

Here’s my confession.... well, let’s call it my second confession of the night since I already admitted to cocktailing and kamado’ing in the other thread..... but I digress....  

There - I said it!  

I got a small rack of lamb to cook once and my husband totally flipped out. It didn’t get cooked. :(

Looks like it turned out really really good, but having a hard time imagining how it tasted...

@KismetKamadothanks yes it came out very tasty.  I wanted the sauce a little thicker so I added a flour slurry to it after I removed the chicken to shred it.  Brought it to a slight boil on the stove top and wala perfect.  The lamb tasted good also, only sampled a little while we were pulling it.  I'll be honest also I've only cook lamb about three times.  The first couple were lamb chops and the were really good, lots of flavor and made a light meal.  Can't remember where I saw the pulled lamb but decided to give it a try.

10 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Wow, to a New Zealander that sounds unbelievable... roast lamb cooked with garlic and rosemary served with mint sauce... was probably the most common Sunday roast growing up. 

11 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

My wife does not like lamb either. When I want lamb, I purchase some at Kroger. I usually get a lamb shoulder chop and fix that for myself, and do something else for her.

Edited by Golf Griller

1 hour ago, Golf Griller said:

My wife does not like lamb either. When I want lamb, I purchase some at Kroger. I usually get a lamb shoulder chop and fix that for myself, and do something else for her.

12 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Interesting!!!. What don't they like? Probably have never had it properly cooked. Ran into the same with both my family and Church a few years back. Roasted a leg of lamb and a Turkey on the offset one Thanksgiving for my family. Did another two for Church for Resurrection Sunday off the KJ. In both cases, most had never eaten it before. Many had to be conjoled to at least try it. Zero lamb left over after dinner. 

3 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Interesting!!!. What don't they like? Probably have never had it properly cooked. Ran into the same with both my family and Church a few years back. Roasted a leg of lamb and a Turkey on the offset one Thanksgiving for my family. Did another two for Church for Resurrection Sunday off the KJ. In both cases, most had never eaten it before. Many had to be conjoled to at least try it. Zero lamb left over after dinner. 

Probably the taste due to how it has been cooked in the past. My parents would have leg of lamb on occasion and she did not like the taste. I agree that it had somewhat of a gamey lamb taste. She did try a bite of a lamb shoulder chop that I did on the grill and she liked it, but she is not ready to eat a whole chop.

5 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Interesting!!!. What don't they like? Probably have never had it properly cooked. 

Well, in my husband’s case, he cooked fine dining for a number of years, so he was definitely familiar with cooking it properly. Maybe he was conditioned with a preference to beef growing up on a cattle ranch. Lol. 

My ignorance on the matter comes from the the fact that my family wasn’t adventurous food wise and I met my husband not long after leaving the nest... and since he despises lamb....  well, there you have it....  :)

3 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

My ignorance on the matter comes from the the fact that my family wasn’t adventurous food wise and I met my husband not long after leaving the nest... and since he despises lamb....  well, there you have it....  :)

Do you like lamb?

@KismetKamado

Smoked Pulled Lamb Sliders
Servings 6 -8 servings
Author Mary Cressler, Vindulge
Ingredients
To Smoke the Lamb Shoulder:
4-5 lb boneless lamb shoulder or 6-7 lb bone-in lamb shoulder
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup dry rub
10 ounces spritz
For the Dry Rub:
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup coarse ground pepper
1/3 cup granulated garlic
For the Spritz:
4 ounces Worcestershire sauce
6 ounces apple cider vinegar
Instructions
Preheat smoker to 250 degrees, we use oak wood for lamb. Add a water bath for moisture in the smoker.
Trim excess fat off of the lamb. Coat with olive oil and dry rub.
Place lamb on smoker uncovered for 90 minutes.
After 90 minutes begin spritzing with a spray bottle every 30 minutes until the internal temperature of the lamb shoulder is 165 degrees. This could take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours.
At 165 degrees place the lamb shoulder in a foil pan, with the rest of the spritz liquid and then cover tightly with foil.
Place back into smoker until the internal temperature reads 200 – 205 degrees or your meat thermometer goes into the lamb like soft butter. This will take roughly 2-3 more hours (but remember, cook to temperature not time).
Remove from smoker and let rest for 30 minutes, it is best to place into an cooler (that does NOT have ice) for an hour allowing the temperature to slowly decrease.
Pull lamb and serve with slaw, aioli and your favorite bun, we go brioche for the bun.

9 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your lamb cooks.

Beside shoulders chops and racks, are there any other cuts I should be asking for? And as far as most of the rest goes, I believe that we're going to get some ground as well. Rump real fatty or not? Thanks everyone in advance for any info.

Also anyone know if cutter will give you the tongue and how hard is it to pickle? My first meeting with(then future) father in law, he hands me a jar and laughingly says so you want to date my daughter huh? Eat one of these(pickled lamb's tongue)! To which, without even thinking I ate two of those buggers. They are unique to say the least. I liken the experience to the closest I'll ever get to making out with myself. Think about it, it is TONGUE after all. In any event they are difficult to find in America now for some reason. So I know that it would make his day to have a few homemade ones.