Thanks for posting the recipe, @TKOBBQ!

Perhaps I'll give it a whirl out at work if I can't swing it at home.  Should be doable if I just go in early one day.  

And I hear you on having to thicken the guajillo a bit.  I tend to go overboard on the addition of fresh veggies which can definitely lead to that scenario....

6 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Well, in my husband’s case, he cooked fine dining for a number of years, so he was definitely familiar with cooking it properly. Maybe he was conditioned with a preference to beef growing up on a cattle ranch. Lol. 

My ignorance on the matter comes from the the fact that my family wasn’t adventurous food wise and I met my husband not long after leaving the nest... and since he despises lamb....  well, there you have it....  :)

This is by no means a reflection on your husbands skills as a cook but, the worst lamb I have ever had has been in fine dining settings. It was obviously sous vide and finished under a broiler- gamey, tough and just plain old plain in taste. I wished he'd trust your excellent skills on the kamado. :-D

2 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

... Add a water bath for moisture in the smoker.

So, @TKOBBQ, you still feel water baths are necessary in a kamado? I've eliminated their use totally, except in the now rare cases that i am using them solely to add a flavor profile- egs., tea or coffee. (just gave out a family secret there- no charge) :-D

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

56 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

So, @TKOBBQ, you still feel water baths are necessary in a kamado? I've eliminated their use totally, except in the now rare cases that i am using them solely to add a flavor profile- egs., tea or coffee. (just gave out a family secret there- no charge) :-D

No I forgot that was in there, I add libbed.  No I don't use water pans in a Kamado, you are correct that they are not needed in this cooking environment.

9 hours ago, AntinOz said:

Wow, to a New Zealander that sounds unbelievable... roast lamb cooked with garlic and rosemary served with mint sauce... was probably the most common Sunday roast growing up. 

That is probably my favorite meal. As a kid my mom would make that every Easter and a few other times during the year as a special treat like you said on a Sunday.

@TKOBBQ That pulled lamb looks beautiful!  I adore lamb but do have to admit that we're fairly spoiled here in Australia with gorgeous free range grass fed lamb and salt grass lambies just walking around freely in paddocks, which often have stunning vistas for enjoyment during their short little woolly lives. :)  I have had older lamb / mutton served to me previously and wasn't particularly a fan. 

@St1brew  If you haven't tried them already, I reckon you would impress your FIL if you made him some lovely lambs brains, which are a real delicacy.  The trick is to lightly poach them first, cool and then crumb and deep fry. There are heaps of recipes on google.  Lovely little creamy morsels hidden in a crispy, golden shell.  Deeelicious!

7 hours ago, Lydia said:

I have had older lamb / mutton served to me previously and wasn't particularly a fan. 

As a kid, I reckon mutton and hoggot were as common if not more so than lamb. Just needs to be cooked a lot slower. I still think a lot of what we get as "lamb" is probably closer in age to mutton.

2 hours ago, AntinOz said:

As a kid, I reckon mutton and hoggot were as common if not more so than lamb. Just needs to be cooked a lot slower. I still think a lot of what we get as "lamb" is probably closer in age to mutton.

Interesting. I guess that's why cutlets always taste so amazing.  You can't have any mutton BS masquerading as lamb in those little round, mouthwatering morsels of deliciousness! :-)

On 9/3/2018 at 11:58 AM, KismetKamado said:

I.... have.... never.... cooked.... or eaten.... lamb!

I just got back from a week in GodZone (NZ) and it reminded me of this thread. I had the most amazing slow braised lamb shanks in a red wine sauce at one of the pubs I was eating drinking in. You really must try lamb of some sort!!

On 9/3/2018 at 4:21 PM, St1brew said:

Also anyone know if cutter will give you the tongue and how hard is it to pickle? My first meeting with(then future) father in law, he hands me a jar and laughingly says so you want to date my daughter huh? Eat one of these(pickled lamb's tongue)! To which, without even thinking I ate two of those buggers. They are unique to say the least. I liken the experience to the closest I'll ever get to making out with myself. Think about it, it is TONGUE after all. In any event they are difficult to find in America now for some reason. So I know that it would make his day to have a few homemade ones.

I’ve made pickled beef tongue several times (may even be a thread about it on here).  It isn’t hard at all.