glenn3

Instant pot

We have that exact model and love it. What is primary reason for the potential purchase? We boiled eggs in it every week, steel cut oats have been done a handful of times, rice, and tons of other stuff. A nice thing is there is tons of youtube videos on it. Our only drawback at this time is lack of counter space, to heck with galley style kitchens.

I have the 3qt Mini Duo and  it is definitely worth the money I spent. Made grits in it just the other night. I would say it gets a lot more use in the colder months making soups and stew type dishes. I also make potatoes in it regularly. Sure some people have taken it too far and try to cook every single thing it it, but there are a ton of good uses for it. Just reminded me that I need to do a Mississippi pot roast in it soon. 

I have the Insta Pot Duo qt. Works super well.

Some random findings/opinions:

Prep time is prep time. Insta pot cooking is faster.

Don't expect the cooker to easily make items that are so much better done in a traditional way. For example crispy bacon.  I imagine that I could do crisp bacon eventually with my Insta Pot.

The Insta Pot recipes/cooking tables on their website seem to be better. Others sources can be good but I find them "wishy-washy" if you will.

I started with basics (oatmeal, rice etc. then as I became familiar and began to understand pressure cooking I began to branch out. I found ways to convert some oven recipes and such. Made up some of my own.

It's a fun kitchen addition. 

M.

17 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

I saw this topic and made me think back to my college days in the early 70's

I was in High School then during the gas shortage days, waiting to fill up at 6 a.m. for my Dad/me-that was my pressure cooker.

Never knew about pressure food cooking but the anecdotal stories we all hear from the old style stove top cookers- now just memories. Just like that 1973 Pontiac I used to drive: at best12 mpg.:shock:

-glad that the electric pressure cookers are around now.

As mentioned, I am an Insta Pot Fan now.:-D

M.

Ok, so I got one because I was curious and my husband didn't know what else to get me last Christmas.  I thought I would be disappointed like I was with sous vide (which I was super stoked about).  Does it make food the same or better than traditional ways?  No.  It doesn't.  But it does make making sides super easy when you are otherwise occupied.  I would buy it for risotto making power alone.  It is 95 percent as good as slaving over a stove, and I am free to attend whatever else I am cooking once I put the lid on.  It makes a great gooey Mac n cheese and makes perfect eggs in any style.  Also really good Mexican rice.  Soups are good but take forever to come to pressure just because of volume.  I think if you think of it in terms of sides and ease, it is well worth the money.  I would not become a nut who tries to cook every single thing in it.  There is a difference in how you can use it and how you should use it.... IE the crispy bacon mentioned above. 

I got one on prime day 2017 for a great deal.   I used it a  lot initially -I would rather grill in nicer weather, so I used it primarily during winter this past year.  Found a couple of great dishes the family loves (chicken adobo and stuffed peppers).  But It also makes the best stock, broth, or bone broth going. For that reason alone it is worth its price and space in the cabinets. 

We’ve had Instant Pots since soon after the came out—first the 6qt Duo, then added the 6qt Ultra. Love it for lots of things, but would have ubg/it if only for rice, risotto, yogurt and hard boiled eggs that peel fantastically easily. We also love it for chicken stock, bean soups and braised dishes.

We were keeping the Duo as a spare, but it’s now at our son’s. We’ve used the Ultra for sous vide and it worked well, though the water doesn’t actually circulate.

Unless you regularly cook for a large family, the 6qt may be the best choice. You can cook smaller amounts, and it comes up to pressure more quickly than the 8qt. There are usually only two of us, but I think the 3qt would be very limiting on its own.

I have the 6 qt ultra. We love it. It gets used at least once a week during the summer months and more during the cold weather. It’s great for making stock, spaghetti, lasagna, pot roast, potato soup and so on. I’ve even made cheese cake in it. You will be satisfied with your purchase.

We have had the 8qt duo for about a year.  We bought it as a multi purpose replacement for our slow cooker.  Mrs philpom makes yogurt in it each month.  It does well for chili beans, 90 minutes.

I make hot sauce in 3 minutes and it makes perfect snow crab clusters.

Yes, a worthy addition to the kitchen.  Use it for its strengths, slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker etc.  It fits in to my cheese making also.

The worst thing people make in Instant pots is bland lifeless Pulled Pork.  I’ve had plenty of pulled pork from the instant pots of pretty girls.  

Not to sound misogynistic, the first thought in my head is “she’s hot, just smile, don’t be rude, invite her over for dinner the next time you want to enjoy a good pulled pork.”

InstaPots make Rice, Farro and Grits much easier than other cooking methods.  The hardest part of making Grits on this side of the border is the 2-hours you have to spend trying to explain to your fellow Canadians what Grits are and why it’s a good meal.