Found some beef back ribs at Kroger.

IMG_20180822_142209286.thumb.jpg.6fa50c47dd349691da48e09659d39be0.jpg

Decided to cook one of the two racks today.

Rubbed and ready for the grill.

IMG_20180903_125636453_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.fe418ea6ec1cb40620a2b5715ce983e1.jpg

On the grill at 225*

IMG_20180903_134202858.thumb.jpg.89c4c50057769b496fa12fefbc98bbcc.jpg

Sauce added after taken out of the wrap.

IMG_20180903_170452454.thumb.jpg.b660be66fdfc0a54e15171f798f3a1fb.jpg

Meal plated with side salads from grocery store deli.

IMG_20180903_171002954.thumb.jpg.d13fd0fcfeec5e3694b030c27c8f0689.jpg

I cooked them for 2:15 unwrapped, wrapped with bbq sauce for 1:00 and then finished up to set sauce for 30 minutes.  A little over cooked, but still good.

Just now, KismetKamado said:

How come I didn’t get the memo about the beef rib cook, @Golf Griller?  Remember, last time we conquered ribs together....  I feel so left out, now....  :(

This was the first try at beef ribs, same result as early results at baby back ribs. I have another rack to work with for better result. It seems  that 225* for 2.5 hours is too long.

1 minute ago, Golf Griller said:

This was the first try at beef ribs, same result as early results at baby back ribs. I have another rack to work with for better result. It seems  that 225* for 2.5 hours is too long.

GG, remember we discussed using the time only as a guide. Checking for doneness / tenderness and the development of that skill is the most important part. Still looks amazing.

Just now, CentralTexBBQ said:

GG, remember we discussed using the time only as a guide. Checking for doneness / tenderness and the development of that skill is the most important part. Still looks amazing.

Thanks for the reminder. I was following some YouTube videos on cooking beef back ribs. They did not mention tenderness. Will add that to my notes on beef back ribs.

1 hour ago, Golf Griller said:

Thanks for the reminder. I was following some YouTube videos on cooking beef back ribs. They did not mention tenderness. Will add that to my notes on beef back ribs.

I don't cook them at all (back ribs). Maybe I should give them a try on the kamado. However, on the offset, they were a bear to try and get tender. Too much bone, not enough meat (usually), made it extremely hard to cook to both doneness and tenderness. Really tenderness never came into the picture. The flavor more than makes up for a little chew. :-D

29 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I don't cook them at all (back ribs). Maybe I should give them a try on the kamado. However, on the offset, they were a bear to try and get tender. Too much bone, not enough meat (usually), made it extremely hard to cook to both doneness and tenderness. Really tenderness never came into the picture. The flavor more than makes up for a little chew. :-D

They were tender with some chew. They had plenty of meat between the ribs. Just need to forget wrapping and go for tenderness.

I did beef back ribs today too. First time. They went about 3.5 hours at 250, no wrap, and they were delicious. Tender, but not mushy. I thought they were just right. Our guests were pretty impressed by them.

Mine didn't blacken quite as much as yours. I've seen YouTube videos where the ribs come out looking blackened like that. Did you go pretty heavy on the rub?

Edit: just looked at your pictures again, doesn't look like yours had any more rub than mine. Interesting...

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I did beef back ribs today too. First time. They went about 3.5 hours at 250, no wrap, and they were delicious. Tender, but not mushy. I thought they were just right. Our guests were pretty impressed by them.

Mine didn't blacken quite as much as yours. I've seen YouTube videos where the ribs come out looking blackened like that. Did you go pretty heavy on the rub?

3.5 hours at 225 - 250 would probably have been better. I still have another rack in the freezer to do. I don't think I went too heavy on the rub, but maybe I did. I used Worcestershire sauce as a binder for the rub (Stubb's Bar-be-que Spice Rub).

If your target is 3.5 hours. Start checking the ribs every 20-30 minutes for doneness once you get about 2 3/4 hours in. Each rib you cook is going to get done earlier or later than the one before or even if they are cooking at the same time. Also, though they do not have as much meat as a short rib. I would still afford them rest time. 

The content of rubs can add to 'blackness', as does the sauce. As the sugars cook, they are going to darken.

Generally speaking, my briskets only have sea salt and black pepper. There is enough black pepper applied that it interacts with the fat (which basically contains a sugar alcohol- glycerol) and turns the bark black. There are many other rub addititives- coffee, etc., which aid in turning a bark black