Ms84

Kamado joe in 2019

Regarding the Classic III, when using the "Hyperbolic" insert, how do you add additional fuel when doing a low and slow cook?  The half moon shape of the "Divide and Conquer" grill and heat diffuser allows for adding fuel if needed, but the Hyperbolic insert looks to be a solid unit.  Looks like one would have to remove everything; meat, grill, & insert, then add fuel, then re-assemble.  

2 hours ago, burnt_ends said:

Regarding the Classic III, when using the "Hyperbolic" insert, how do you add additional fuel when doing a low and slow cook?  The half moon shape of the "Divide and Conquer" grill and heat diffuser allows for adding fuel if needed, but the Hyperbolic insert looks to be a solid unit.  Looks like one would have to remove everything; meat, grill, & insert, then add fuel, then re-assemble.  

Typically, you dont add fuel when doing a low and slow cook

Assuming you're not trying to run a 36hr cook, a full firebox should be more than adequate for almost all low and slow cooks

In the event you need to add fuel, you'd just pull the whole DnC rack out and and then pull out the new insert

On the rare occation i need to add additonal smoking wood mid cook, i find its easier to pull the whole DnC rack out rather than move the food, remove one cooking grate, remove one defelctor, add the wood and then reassemble, but thats just me

On 9/10/2018 at 10:10 AM, LargeRedJoe said:

KAMADO JOE PROJOE CERAMIC GRILL FEATURES

• 24" Diameter Cooking Surface
  • AMP Firebox
  • Patented Teflon Coated Cast Aluminum Hyperbolic Insert
  • 304 Stainless Steel Kontrol Tower Top Vent
  • Stainless Steel Air-Lift Hinge
  • Three-Tier Divide & Conquer System
  • 304 Stainless Steel Charcoal Basket with Divider
  • Stainless Steel Lid Latch
  • Stainless Steel Handle
  • Wire Mesh Fiberglass Gasket

I'm surprised that the Hyperbolic Insert is Teflon coated.  A few years ago, an airing of ABC's 20/20 with representatives from an organization called the Environmental Working Group (EWG), demonstrated how a Teflon-coated pan can easily reach a temperature of 500°F while cooking bacon.  And at around 680°F the pan will begin to emit toxic gases.  When inhaled, the gases usually cause symptoms that are typical of the flu, including a rise in body temperature, chills, headache, etc.  EWG also demonstrated that DuPont knew about the Teflon flu for years but kept the information internal to the company.

DuPont, Teflon’s manufacturer, has said that the temperatures needed to release the fumes cannot be reached during normal cooking.  As Jane Houlihan, then EWG’s vice president of research, showed 20/20 in the kitchen demonstration, however, a pan can reach that temperature in just a few minutes.

“At 554 degrees Fahrenheit,” said Houlihan, “studies show ultrafine particles start coming off the pan. These are tiny little particles that can embed deeply into the lungs.”

More chemicals are released as the pan gets hotter.  “At 680 degrees Fahrenheit, toxic gases can begin to come off of heated Teflon,” Houlihan said.  I think it’s likely that the Hyperbolic Insert will get hotter than 680°F.

9 hours ago, pmillen said:

I'm surprised that the Hyperbolic Insert is Teflon coated.  A few years ago, an airing of ABC's 20/20 with representatives from an organization called the Environmental Working Group (EWG), demonstrated how a Teflon-coated pan can easily reach a temperature of 500°F while cooking bacon.  And at around 680°F the pan will begin to emit toxic gases.  When inhaled, the gases usually cause symptoms that are typical of the flu, including a rise in body temperature, chills, headache, etc.  EWG also demonstrated that DuPont knew about the Teflon flu for years but kept the information internal to the company.

DuPont, Teflon’s manufacturer, has said that the temperatures needed to release the fumes cannot be reached during normal cooking.  As Jane Houlihan, then EWG’s vice president of research, showed 20/20 in the kitchen demonstration, however, a pan can reach that temperature in just a few minutes.

“At 554 degrees Fahrenheit,” said Houlihan, “studies show ultrafine particles start coming off the pan. These are tiny little particles that can embed deeply into the lungs.”

More chemicals are released as the pan gets hotter.  “At 680 degrees Fahrenheit, toxic gases can begin to come off of heated Teflon,” Houlihan said.  I think it’s likely that the Hyperbolic Insert will get hotter than 680°F.

I'll get my infrared thermo out next time i do a low and slow and check what the surface temps on the standard deflectors get too but i'd be surpirsed if they reach 680f if i'm running the grill at 275f or below.

You could run into issues if you're trying to use the insert for baking or roasting but its clearly been designed for low and slow applications.

As all literature i've seen on the series 3 says it comes with a DnC system as well, maybe you get both the standard deflectors and Insert as part of the package. The stand looks to have been designed to store the Insert when not in use so its possible you'd use the insert for Low n Slow and the Standard DnC for roasting and baking

9 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I'll get my infrared thermo out next time i do a low and slow and check what the surface temps on the standard deflectors get too but i'd be surpirsed if they reach 680f if i'm running the grill at 275f or below.

Good point.  It may not be in the pit at higher temperatures.  Thanks for the heads-up.

I don’t see the point of Teflon coating the hyperbolic insert.

The health hazards are an issue, of course.

It would seem to me that there is no need for Teflon’s non-stick properties down in the fire pit.

And, it would seem to me that one would readily  risk burning off, or at least compromising, the Teflon coating by the insert being in the fire pit should one’s fire spike. 

While Teflon itself might have a 600+* melting point, I assume that a Teflon coating has a bunch of other components that might be less heat resistant/tolerant. 

But maybe I’m missing something...

I am going to guess there is some kind of error, and the part is going to be anodized, which would not melt at BBQ temperatures. I am sure we will know more when the product is released. 

I am happy about the constant innovations and look forward to being able to get both sizes of the insert, the big DoJoe, and whatever else I do not know about yet. 

The product description also refers to the 500 degree limit:

Harnessing the power of cyclonic airflow technology to control heat and smoke, the SloRoller insert is designed to perfect the taste and texture of food on low-and-slow cooks up to 500°F, and is easily swapped out for heat deflector plates when searing or grilling at higher temperatures. As with its predecessor, the Classic II, it also features a thick-walled, heat-resistant shell that locks in smoke and moisture at any temperature.

The easy-open dome includes our counterbalanced Air Lift Hinge and element-proof, ultra-precise Kontrol Tower top vent, while the large cooking surface underneath is crafted from commercial-grade 304 stainless steel. Other proprietary Kamado Joe innovations that come standard with the Classic III include the three-tier Divide & Conquer® Flexible Cooking System with Charcoal Basket, heat-resistant, powder-coated aluminum side shelves, a premium heavy-duty rolling cart built of weather-resistant galvanized steel, our Advanced Multi-Panel FireBox and a patented slide-out ash drawer for easy cleaning.

500* limit - WT? 

That's not even reasonable in a kamado. I'm guessing the hyperbolic insert is only good for low-n-slow. Anything above low-n-slow will see firebox temps in the 500* - 800* range. It's just way hotter down below compared to the grate. 

8 hours ago, ckreef said:

500* limit - WT? 

That's not even reasonable in a kamado. I'm guessing the hyperbolic insert is only good for low-n-slow. Anything above low-n-slow will see firebox temps in the 500* - 800* range. It's just way hotter down below compared to the grate. 

I have no first hand knowledge of this sloroller, but I would assume at temps above 500 the airflow would be so fast through a kamado, that the sloroller is just not useful.