retfr8flyr

Meater Meat temp probe

I have had my Meater for a while now and have used to many times, so I thought I would give a review, for anyone thinking about getting one. The Meater is a very nice product and with it's wireless ability, if you do a lot of rotisserie cooking it's almost a must have. I have a couple of temp probes already but they will not work while spinning, so I thought I would try out the Meater. The Meater works as advertised and is accurate, compared with my Thermapen probe, it connects by bluetooth to an app, for either iphone of android. The app is very easy to use, the probe will read ambient temp and meat temp and the app can just show this, or you can set up timers and cooks, as well as other features. The probe is recharged in its case by a single AA battery. I can't really say how long the probe battery will last, as the longest cook I used it on was only 6 hrs. About the only thing I can complain about is the bluetooth range,  you have to be almost next to the probe with your phone, for it to connect. All in all, I think it's a very good product and highly recommend it, especially for spinners, it's so nice to know what the temps are doing without raising the lid and sticking the meat. At it's current price I think its a good deal and they have a new 4 probe block coming out, that you can currently pre order.

I think the whole Meater thing sucks. I was a very early backer. I ordered the 4 probe Meater block to help the aspiring company out. How was I rewarded? With nothing other than a $167 debit off my credit card. Meanwhile they've filled all the cheap single probe backers and selling them live in single probe mode. The least they could have done is offered me some kind of single probe option. I backed them when they were only 60% to their original goal and that was about 3 years ago. It may work fine but there business model really sucks. Ripe off the people who helped them the most. 

They’re customer service is 3’rd partied and rotten. Good product but after 5 cooks the ambient monitor end started reading 40 degrees less than the dome temp. I tested it with 2other ambient probes and they’re customer service demanded that I ship my probe back for testing. 

I requested a simple exchange for one that works and I’d gladly ship mine v

back and they declined. This company will not take care of you. Buyer beware

6 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

I guess I should revise my review, based on everyone's  problems. I just haven't had any problems with mine, so I thought it was a good product.

A review is supposed to be I believe about your experience and thoughts not somebody else's.   I'd stick to your original review.   And thank you for your in-depth thoughts and results.

14 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

I guess I should revise my review, based on everyone's  problems. I just haven't had any problems with mine, so I thought it was a good product.

I have had mine for over a year and it has not failed me once, Its accurate and I love the fact you can check status on a Alexa device, also if you have 2 devices, one can be near the grill connected by BT and the other will hook up via your home wifi and you can monitor cooks on the road if you have leave for a while

I am a bit baffled by the original review.  If I read it correctly there are two positives listed:

1.  You can use it on a rotisserie

2.  It's close to as accurate as a thermapen

Big Negative:

You have to be right beside it to get it to connect via bluetooth.

If you have to be right next to it for it to connect via bluetooth to an app, what good is it?  

If I need to walk to my grill to find out what the temps are (which is what I do most of the time anyway) why do I need an expensive device to answer those questions for me?  

I have held off on buying one of these myself. I will eventually buy one because I feel like its important for me to have first hand experience with anything I might want discuss at any level with my audience.  

I am with @ckreef 100% in his assessment of this company.  I would have a very difficult time spending a dime with this company after their treatment of backers on their kickstarter project.  

Mine connects with Bluetooth from inside my home know problem even with the dome closed and that is about 20 feet. And the way I do it, as I said in my other post. I connect with my iPad with bluetooth and then bridge it to my Iphone via wifi and you can monitor your cook from anywhere while connected to the internet 

21 minutes ago, JaxxQ said:

Mine connects with Bluetooth from inside my home know problem even with the dome closed and that is about 20 feet. And the way I do it, as I said in my other post. I connect with my iPad with bluetooth and then bridge it to my Iphone via wifi and you can monitor your cook from anywhere while connected to the internet 

Blutooth Connectively will depend on your house construction.   I still have aunimum siding on my house, Bluetooth is useless with Metal siding dampening the signal.   I have to be by a window or right at back door to get a signal. 

I have the single probe version, and the 4-prove version pre-ordered.  The single probe version works great, and I trust that the multi-probe will arrive eventually.  It is true that it has taken them years longer than they advertised to come to market, but that is not really unusual for a kickstarter product.

As far as range,  it is about what you should expect from bluetooth (my bluetooth mouse only has a range of a few feet too), but you can mirror the readings on all of your devices.  So just have it connect to an old phone connected to your wifi that you leave by the grill (at this point who doesn't have a box full of old phones) all of your other devices anywhere in the world will sync to it over the internet.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I am a bit baffled by the original review.  If I read it correctly there are two positives listed:

1.  You can use it on a rotisserie

2.  It's close to as accurate as a thermapen

Big Negative:

You have to be right beside it to get it to connect via bluetooth.

If you have to be right next to it for it to connect via bluetooth to an app, what good is it?  

If I need to walk to my grill to find out what the temps are (which is what I do most of the time anyway) why do I need an expensive device to answer those questions for me?  

I have held off on buying one of these myself. I will eventually buy one because I feel like its important for me to have first hand experience with anything I might want discuss at any level with my audience.  

I am with @ckreef 100% in his assessment of this company.  I would have a very difficult time spending a dime with this company after their treatment of backers on their kickstarter project.  

John I have an old phone and I do exactly what ACR does. For me, the lack of Bluetooth range is not a big factor.

1 hour ago, acr said:

I have the single probe version, and the 4-prove version pre-ordered.  The single probe version works great, and I trust that the multi-probe will arrive eventually.  It is true that it has taken them years longer than they advertised to come to market, but that is not really unusual for a kickstarter product.

As far as range,  it is about what you should expect from bluetooth (my bluetooth mouse only has a range of a few feet too), but you can mirror the readings on all of your devices.  So just have it connect to an old phone connected to your wifi that you leave by the grill (at this point who doesn't have a box full of old phones) all of your other devices anywhere in the world will sync to it over the internet.

I do the same thing. My brick house doesn't work well with Bluetooth, so I use an old phone to connect and then connect to my network. I can monitor my cook form anywhere in the house, or yard for that matter, I have a mesh wireless system.