Meater Meat temp probe

Don't take this the wrong way please.... but it seems to me you are trying to justify something you really like despite its flaws maybe?  I know how it feels to spend a lot of money on something and then be disappointed with its performance.  It's hard to suck it up and say "I wasted my money on that."  I'm just perplexed with the gleaming review of it. 

I'm one of the ones who buys this gadgetry just so I can have the experience with it.  I don't really ever use it in my daily cooking and find all of it to be unnecessary and basically a waste of money.  I'm not afraid to say how well or poorly any of it works though.  I guess i have been cooking long enough now that I just don't NEED any of the bells and whistles.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the whole Meater thing sucks. I was a very early backer. I ordered the 4 probe Meater block to help the aspiring company out. How was I rewarded? With nothing other than a $167 debit off my cr

I am a bit baffled by the original review.  If I read it correctly there are two positives listed:   1.  You can use it on a rotisserie 2.  It's close to as accurate as a thermapen

I have had my Meater for a while now and have used to many times, so I thought I would give a review, for anyone thinking about getting one. The Meater is a very nice product and with it's wireless ab

John, I.m not really trying to justify anything. I got this to be able to monitor spins without lifting the lid and it works for that. Even if I had to go outside for connection, which I did at first, it still allows me to monitor the meat that is spinning, without lifting the lid. I thought that was a very nice feature and the only one I know of that will allow you to do that, so I said so and added the short bluetooth range as the only drawback. I am not sorry I got this and for me it does the job I got it for. Obviously a lot of others have had problems with it, so I thought about modifying my  review to include others having problems, that is all. If you think the review is inaccurate, you can delete this whole thread. 

I think this is a great thread. Thorough discussion of a product and it’s pros and cons. I enjoyed reading through it. Thanks @retfr8flyr for starting the discussion. I bought a MEATER and haven’t used it yet since I just got my KK going that will give me a rotisserie setup.  I know a lot more now than I did before.  :)

It is true that with the single probe unit, without using 2 phones/tablets you are not going to be able to monitor your cook from 3 rooms away.  But that is true of my thermoworks DOT and thermapen well .  Those have a range no longer than my arms. And I've never heard anyone complain about the not being able to read the screen those from 3 rooms away.

The final product arrived years late.  And it may not have the range that someone might have expected based on the theoretical light of sight range.  If you were an early backer and are disappointed that after years of waiting it did not live up to your expectations, I can understand why you feel that way. 

But none of that  applies to a new buyer.  I waited until the product was available and reviews were in,  I knew exactly what to expect and it totally lived up to my expectations.  

It works, it looks and feels like it is a quality device,  it does things that no other thermometer can do.  And to me it was totally worth the cost.

It certainly would be nice if it came with a wifi relay station to extend the range, and the more expensive 4-probe version does come with a relay station.  So if that is a feature you want, there is nothing stopping you from ordering that version.

To be more critical, since it is totally useless without their proprietary app and web services,  I do worry about what will happen in 5-10 years when they have moved on to newer model (or gone out of business) and no longer want to invest time/money on the app and web server for a product that is no longer bringing in any new revenue.

I would definitely be willing to spend more for a product that is still capable of functioning after the manufacture stops supporting it.  Unfortunately it seems that I am in a minitory as the trend is definitely in the other direction.  I'm talking about you iKamand and Joule sous vide circulator.

17 hours ago, John Setzler said:

So you need an additional device to make it work acceptably well?  Would it be acceptable without that extra phone or ipad to extend the range of the bluetooth beyond a few feet?

The company has never delivered the promised version of the product with the base station they presented in their go-fund-me campaign.   The base station was supposed to provide a networked Wifi solution with the range to transmit temps regardless of how far you’re away from your cooker. 

Without that base station, the product is pretty useless.   It’s no different than checking the cook with an instant read. 

11 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

John, I.m not really trying to justify anything. I got this to be able to monitor spins without lifting the lid and it works for that. Even if I had to go outside for connection, which I did at first, it still allows me to monitor the meat that is spinning, without lifting the lid. I thought that was a very nice feature and the only one I know of that will allow you to do that, so I said so and added the short bluetooth range as the only drawback. I am not sorry I got this and for me it does the job I got it for. Obviously a lot of others have had problems with it, so I thought about modifying my  review to include others having problems, that is all. If you think the review is inaccurate, you can delete this whole thread. 

I don't think your review is inaccurate.  What I think is that it is not inclusive enough of your thoughts on its use and how it performs for what most people would be using it for.

• 1 month later...

Meater have released a Meater+ which has a more powerful Bluetooth range for those who have connectivity issues in their setups.

Personally with my brick house I don’t have an issue with the standard model connecting to my iPad that I leave on our dining room table 15 feet away from the Kamado. The iPad then bounces the data to the internet which I can then access from my phone anywhere in the world or ask Alexa for updates.

Being a smart device they are banking on their market based having multiple devices to use it on.

I’ve used it four times on low and slow and also on high heat cooks. The estimated cook time is spot on so far. Once the your cooker stabilises its temp it will calculate the time it takes to get the internal temp where you want it based on the grill ambient temp. This is perfect when you want to have your sides or other parts of the meal cooking and ready just in time.

The simplicity is what sold me on it. No wires, no power outlet and no base station left out in the rain for a rainy day cook.

On 9/7/2018 at 7:52 PM, ckreef said:

I think the whole Meater thing sucks. I was a very early backer. I ordered the 4 probe Meater block to help the aspiring company out. How was I rewarded? With nothing other than a $167 debit off my credit card. Meanwhile they've filled all the cheap single probe backers and selling them live in single probe mode. The least they could have done is offered me some kind of single probe option. I backed them when they were only 60% to their original goal and that was about 3 years ago. It may work fine but there business model really sucks. Ripe off the people who helped them the most. 

I to backed them LONG before their completion. I also had the Meater Block ordered, Have you received yours yet? Because mine came in the mail about a month ago! I haven't had the chance to use it yet... but I hope to soon.

4 hours ago, Niru said:

I to backed them LONG before their completion. I also had the Meater Block ordered, Have you received yours yet? Because mine came in the mail about a month ago! I haven't had the chance to use it yet... but I hope to soon.

I was a Meater Block backer. I took the option and changed the order to 2 Meater + units. They arrived some time ago. I have used it 3 times since. A normal kamado cook, a rotisserie kamado cook, and on Thanksgiving in the turkey in my WFO. They worked fine as advertised. As far as physically they did a good job with them. 

I mainly bought it for rotisserie cooks. I'll use it from time to time but I have other options for normal cooks. 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:15 AM, Angelo said:

Meater have released a Meater+ which has a more powerful Bluetooth range for those who have connectivity issues in their setups.

Personally with my brick house I don’t have an issue with the standard model connecting to my iPad that I leave on our dining room table 15 feet away from the Kamado. The iPad then bounces the data to the internet which I can then access from my phone anywhere in the world or ask Alexa for updates.

The simplicity is what sold me on it. No wires, no power outlet and no base station left out in the rain for a rainy day cook.

So, you have to ensure your ipad is charged and in range of your kamado for the entire cook, and then set the app up to bounce the signal from the limited bluetooth range to your home wifi everytime you use it?

Sounds super simple to me...

A friend of mine purchased one of the Meaters when they became availble in Aus

3 cooks later, it lives in its box pretty much full time

The limited bluetooth range and lack of easy checking of your temps without having to utalise additional bluetooth devices or walk over to the grill to regain a decent connection make the whole thing a bit of a waste of time, IMO

Sure, there are ways to make the idea work if you really want to, but the inital selling point of the Meater was the wireless simplicty of it.

Aside from being able to use the probe with a rotissery (which is a function I still dont understand peoples need for) there is no benifit to this product over a Webber iGrill2 or Thermoworks Smoke.

What is even more concerning is that thier Aus store is still promising the Meater Block as pre order (for the low low price of $429au) for the poor saps who didnt get burned during the kickstarter

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:15 AM, Angelo said:

Also, the Meater+ looks to utalise a signal repeater (for an additional $40 over the standard kit) rather than imporving the signal strength in the probe itself

They havent fixed the issue, they've just figured out they can sell you somthing else to help make it work as advertised

*edit*

Wow, those posts sound way more bitchy than i meant them too.

I'm glad the OP has had a good run with his purchase and really hope it continues

Well my Meater is still working fine and it does what I bought it for. I don't really care that much about the Bluetooth range, I don't mind walking out to the grill to check the temps. What I wanted to avoid was having to raise the lid to do it. There isn't any other product, that I am aware of, that will work on a rotisserie the way the Meater does. I got this just for using on my Jotisserie in my Big Joe and it works great for that. It is accurate and gives both the air temp and the meat temp. I have other temp reading products that I use for regular cooks, so as I stated I don't mind the lack of range. I mentioned the lack of range in my review and if this is a problem for someone, then they should purchase the new extended range version.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:22 PM, Polar Bear said:

So, you have to ensure your ipad is charged and in range of your kamado for the entire cook, and then set the app up to bounce the signal from the limited bluetooth range to your home wifi everytime you use it?

Sounds super simple to me...

As soon as you install the app on a second device it configures it all itself so, yes it is simple. I was rather explaining what it does/how it works to what you need to do.

As soon as I pull the Meater out of the holder it activates. Just open the app to configure a cook or monitor temp.