Timtogrill

Disappointed

I purchased the Primo XL less than two years ago. I knew going in that the fire bowl was going to crack, as with all ceramic grills. What I didn't know was the fire grate also cracks and is is not covered under the 20 year warranty. So looks like I'll be spending $60.00 every two years (if it doesn't  go up) for the next 18 years. Not to happy about that. I take very good care of my grill and have only had it over 500 degrees once. 

I thought I did my research on all the ceramics before deciding on Primo but I don't remember seeing anything about the fire grate cracking and causing the bowl to crack. Is this just with the oval?

I know I don't have to replace the bowl or grate to keep using the grill but I'm real particular with my stuff and I don't like seeing that crack every time I fill the box. It's almost cracked all the way down so I also would be scared to remove the bowl for cleaning.

Primo needs to go to work and come up with a grate that doesn't crack.

Instead of spending $60 on a new lump grate spend a few dollars more and get a kickashbasket. You'll never have to buy another one and you'll get better performance and easier cleaning out. 

I wish they made one for the oval Jr. I would buy it immediately and my stuff isn't cracked. 

Fire bowl cracks are not uncommon.  They happen to most grills.  File a warranty claim on the fire bowl and get another one on the way so you will have it when you need it.  Double PLUS PLUS to what @ckreef said here... don't wast any time ordering your Kick Ash Basket for that grill.  THAT is the most useful accessory you can own for a Kamado grill.

I have thought about the Kick Ash basket even before I new about this problem. To keep the warranty on the new fire bowl, I have to purchase a new Primo fire grate. That came directly from Primo after I contacted them about the fire bowl crack. They want pictures of the grate to make sure it isn't cracked before they will send the bowl. If it is cracked andyou don't purchase a new one that voids the warranty on the bowl.

1 hour ago, Timtogrill said:

I have thought about the Kick Ash basket even before I new about this problem. To keep the warranty on the new fire bowl, I have to purchase a new Primo fire grate. That came directly from Primo after I contacted them about the fire bowl crack. They want pictures of the grate to make sure it isn't cracked before they will send the bowl. If it is cracked andyou don't purchase a new one that voids the warranty on the bowl.

That's odd.  I don't understand what the grate has to do with the firebowl.  If the grate is cracked are they not going to warranty your fire bowl?  I don't understand the relationship between the two.  

1 hour ago, Timtogrill said:

They told me if the grate is  cracked it can expand when hot and cause the new bowl to crack :roll:

I would just call the Customer service on Monday and explain the situation.  There’s no reason you should have to waste $60 on a new grate to get a new Firebowl.

Thanks ckreef and John, I have ordered the KAB and look forward to putting it in use.

I also called Primo and talked to Denise about the KAB. She talked to her manager and he said I didn't have to purchase the grate but if they determine that the KAB caused damage to the new firebowl that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. We all know the basket is not going to crack the firebowl but it's not worth taking the chance they may not cover it next time for the $60 price of the grate.

What can you do B)