Sign in to follow this  
Charcoal Addict

Traeger Timberline Bad Reviews

I was surprised to see such a large number of bad reviews for the Timberline online. It been taking a bit of beating from professional and consumer reviewers online. 

• Temp controller errors 
  • pellet feed errors, over feeding pellets 
  • probe errors with food probes off by as much as 10 F 
  • Finicky settings that don’t always perform 

What’s your experience with the Timberline?  Are you getting similar errors and problems as professional and consumer reviewers are complaining about the Timberline online. 

We got a 1300 early on.... we had problems.... 

Seems to be a bit better now - but I've seen more of the inside of that beast than I care to having replaced and removed various parts.  

Aesthetics and design are killer.... like really, really good.  Only downside is that with the 1300, the grates being single piece is a little less than convenient for cleaning and such.

Execution.... well, I wish it had been better.  We got rid of a really great pellet grill when we got the Timberline and were frustrated with all the issues.  But I don't think we've had as many problems this year as we did last....  The first few months were a total disaster.

Most recent cooks haven't laid soot over everything  I'm hopeful that with the auger replacement, shroud removal and firmware updates we are getting to a point where all is well.  

And the food probe.... yeah.... that burned us just last weekend... but that is the original probe.  And I'm no stranger to probe failures with other devices... it happens....

I had a first Gen in fact the 17th one off of the line with the 1300.  I had three auger jams and Traeger walked me through it.  Soot was an issue that was sorted out with software updates.  After a few months, Traeger stopped 1300 production and took it all apart to learn that many of the augers were a tad too long.  They fixed the issues, software amd started production again.  Traeger Canada insisted on replacing the units that were sold on first run and personally delivered a brand new unit to my house.  

I have not had one issue in 1.5 years of ownership now with the new unit.  I was cooking on it 5 nights a week until I picked up my 850 Timberline.  I have probably 30-40 cooks on the 850 and it is rock solid.  

I am very happy with my units and have began downsizing my grill collection as a result.  

Based on some pretty iffy reviews I've been seeing, I've been holding off on the Timberline (considering the  crazy price here in Canada as well).  For that kind of money, it should be close to perfected.  I'm also waiting to see what happens with Broil King's new pellet grill.  It's also a bit on the pricey side (though cheaper than the Timberline) compared to many entry level models out there, but has a lot of great features - but like the Timberline...waiting to see if they can pull it off.

https://www.barbecuecountry.com/grills-and-smokers/electric-grill/broil-king-smoketm-pellet-xl.html

2 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

Based on some pretty iffy reviews I've been seeing, I've been holding off on the Timberline (considering the  crazy price here in Canada as well).  For that kind of money, it should be close to perfected.  I'm also waiting to see what happens with Broil King's new pellet grill.  It's also a bit on the pricey side (though cheaper than the Timberline) compared to many entry level models out there, but has a lot of great features - but like the Timberline...waiting to see if they can pull it off.

https://www.barbecuecountry.com/grills-and-smokers/electric-grill/broil-king-smoketm-pellet-xl.html

It’s likely Traeger will need to release new revised models to regain some market traction.  The initial teething problems have a lot dealers are pushing customers to buy Pro22’s instead.  

Even if the problems have been resolved there’s a bit of an image problem.  Traeger should release a new models with a couple of minor changes to get some fresh reviews.  

It’s like anything, you never want to be the first in line, you end-up being a guinea pig for some of the teething problems with the first production models to come off the line. 

Traeger usually refreshes their line once every 3-4 years.  We could see revised Timberlines released in 2019.  

1 hour ago, SmallBBQr said:

They are expensive but it is worth every penny.  Just to be clear, the 850 has been beautiful out of the box with exception of a few software upgrades.  

The issue was the 1300 and it’s now god to go.  

35 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It’s likely Traeger will need to release new revised models to regain some market traction.  The initial teething problems have a lot dealers are pushing customers to buy Pro22’s instead.  

Even if the problems have been resolved there’s a bit of an image problem.  Traeger should release a new models with a couple of minor changes to get some fresh reviews.  

It’s like anything, you never want to be the first in line, you end-up being a guinea pig for some of the teething problems with the first production models to come off the line. 

Traeger usually refreshes their line once every 3-4 years.  We could see revised Timberlines released in 2019.  

@Charcoal Addict not sure what happened there. I went to quote you but some how it said editing post.   I backed out when I caught that. I didn’t actually edit your post and apologize as the edit post function is new for me and just assumed that I selected quote. 

I wrote this as my reply 

I know many dealers and I watch the Traeger social media quite religiously.  I can tell you that the pro 22 is a great grill but I have yet to see the statements that you claim in my network.  

Good luck with your your continued research 

8 hours ago, bosco said:

@Charcoal Addict not sure what happened there. I went to quote you but some how it said editing post.   I backed out when I caught that. I didn’t actually edit your post and apologize as the edit post function is new for me and just assumed that I selected quote. 

I wrote this as my reply 

I know many dealers and I watch the Traeger social media quite religiously.  I can tell you that the pro 22 is a great grill but I have yet to see the statements that you claim in my network.  

It usually sales people in stores who push the pro22 hard and try to steer people away from Timberlines. 

I personally don’t get it.  You should be making more commission on selling a Timberline. 

The point I’m trying to make is a lot of people read reviews and make up their minds about products based a a small amount of info.

It’s a common marketing strategy to release new models to drive more positive reviews after a rough start to a product release. 

20 hours ago, bosco said:

I wrote this as my reply 

I’m not on a panic.  My savings are tied up in trying to buy a newer model pick-up.   I prefer to wait for 2 gen models to look at grills.  The Timberline has taken an edge over the Mak.  The Mak smokers are not as well designed to handle cooking harsh sub zero winter temps. 

Purchased the 850 last year in November.  Had issues right out of the box with the wifire not working.  Finally a person came out from where I purchased it, put in a 3rd controller and now it works great(6 months after I purchased it).  Customer service not the best but they tried to resolve the issue, they never gave up.

The only issue I see now is the probe is not even close.  20 degrees off compared to my thermopen. I have not run into any other errors so far.  I love it...  so far. 

1 hour ago, divot1973 said:

Purchased the 850 last year in November.  Had issues right out of the box with the wifire not working.  Finally a person came out from where I purchased it, put in a 3rd controller and now it works great(6 months after I purchased it).  Customer service not the best but they tried to resolve the issue, they never gave up.

The only issue I see now is the probe is not even close.  20 degrees off compared to my thermopen. I have not run into any other errors so far.  I love it...  so far. 

Did you know you can calibrate the probe?

1 hour ago, divot1973 said:

I did not John.  How do you do that?  That's why I love this website!!

It's in the menu on the grill controller somewhere.. I haven't actually tried to calibrate mine yet but I saw it on there.  I will sort that out today or tomorrow and report back...