Sign in to follow this  
Charcoal Addict

Traeger Timberline Bad Reviews

I went to my Home Depot to by whatever it was and the Traeger rep was grilling and - well I bought a Home Depot Traeger, returned it after having a few problems.  Now I'm hooked on Pellet style cookers.  Did a bunch or recurch Walked into BBQ Island in Tempe Arizona to buy a Green Mountain and was talked into getting the brand new Traeger Grill 2018 Timberline 850, just came out.  Man I was a Pellet smoking fool until after a few months the igniter.  I called Traeger customer service and they sent me a replacement (about two week go by before the igniter arrived).  Mid Summer, cooking a big brisket, internal temp was a perfect 190 Deg.  Pulled that bad boy off and started cutting, dam thing was tuff like Jerky,  Man so over cooked it was crazy,  Thought I did something wrong, next weekend I was at it once more with another Brisket but this time I connected my ThermoPro (used for my Green Egg) and the Traeger Prob was off by 20 deg .  Called customer service, did some troubleshooting and they sent a replacement probe.  No big deal I just used my ThermoPro until the replacement part came in - another two weeks LoL.  New probe came in and it never really worked correctly, readings were inconsistent and my ThermoPro was dead nuts on.  Fast forward to July 2019, cooking another Brisket and my ThermoPro low heat warning sounds, thought I ran low on Pellets - no the Augor quite.  Called Traeger customer service (We are on first name bases by now), ran through the same old song and dance before they ordered me a replacement auger motor.  End of August I called to question delivery and was informed that the part is on backorder, a few more weeks.  September 27th the replacement Auger motor came in and it was; 1) not Ur rated and fresh from China & 2) it didn't work.   Now I'm pissed-Off, called BBQ Island talked to my sales rep and a few hours later Traeger corporate called me.  So sorry, how can we help, we want happy customers, We are going to send you a replacement Auger assembly OVERNIGHT, we also talked about the Temp prob not working so he was going to send me a replacement control panel.  OK this was a Monday, Wednesday I called Traeger customer service to find out it hasn't shipped yet!  Friday I find out that the part is due in maybe next Tuesday, I asked for a Manager because that what we do when we are upset with the customer service rep.  Manager get's on the line and asked what seemed to be the problem, I don't remember what I said but he ask me to refrain form dropping the F-Bomb and put me on hold and placed me on HOLD.  Manger tells me while I was on hold he called BBQ Island in Tempe Arizona, asked me how far I was from there and said (READY FOR THIS), they keep the part I need in stock (F-Bomb) and I could go pick one up.  Installed the Auger motor and that fixed the pellet feed problem but the control panel did not fit, different wire harness.  Called Traeger back to find out "We were having some difficulties with that design and replaced the Auger system to DC and changed out the control panel.  They sent me a hole new External box assembly (Not a replacement Grill just the Electronic and hopper box assembly.  Spent Five hours putting it together, fired it up and the internal temp of the fire box went up to 495 deg in just a few minutes.  Did a power down and tried a 2nd time, same thing too hot way to quickly.  Connected my ThermoPro fired up the grill, set temp to 225 deg's slapped a TriTip on it and cooked.  Traeger digital reading flexuated from 219 to 295 where my ThermoPro stayed somewhat steady.  OH and I forgot to mention the new system WiFire would not connect.  October 28th I emailed Traeger c/c BBQ Island and my attorney asking for a replacement or a refund, today is October 31 and still no word..  So to all of you looking to buy a Traeger my brother went to Lowes and bought a Pit Boss Pellet for somewhere around $450 and laughs at my $1700 Traeger Timberline 850 Dilemma while he is Smoking his Baby back ribs (Dam-it):rofl:

Pellet smokers sound like neat set it and forget it things, but Gas grills and Charcoal grills generally don't have moving parts and expensive electronics that go tits up in the middle of your cook.  Sure my Qube temperature controller might stop working one day mid cook, but I can just yank that thing out of line and do it the old fashioned way.  You're pellet controller/auger motor/igniter system goes in your pellet grill have fun with that, I hope you have a backup grill.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:27 AM, John Setzler said:

It's in the menu on the grill controller somewhere.. I haven't actually tried to calibrate mine yet but I saw it on there.  I will sort that out today or tomorrow and report back...

i calibrated mine, great feature, pretty easy to do.

3 hours ago, Tarnation said:

Pellet smokers sound like neat set it and forget it things, but Gas grills and Charcoal grills generally don't have moving parts and expensive electronics that go tits up in the middle of your cook.  Sure my Qube temperature controller might stop working one day mid cook, but I can just yank that thing out of line and do it the old fashioned way.  You're pellet controller/auger motor/igniter system goes in your pellet grill have fun with that, I hope you have a backup grill.

I have been cooking on pellet grills for the last 6 years or so.  I have yet to have a failure of any kind.  I know it can happen but Its not common.  It's also not the end of the world.  Worst case is you lose whatever food you had on it.  I have lost MORE food to my inattentiveness or stupidity than I have to a grill failure.  I see social media posts about pellet grill failures and I can write most of them off to the possibility that the owner didn't maintain the grill properly.  They never admit to that, of course, but the possibility is there.  Pellet grills require maintenance between cooks and if you don't do that maintenance you can have a lot of the failures you see posted about on social media.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

I see social media posts about pellet grill failures and I can write most of them off to the possibility that the owner didn't maintain the grill properly.  They never admit to that, of course, but the possibility is there.  Pellet grills require maintenance between cooks and if you don't do that maintenance you can have a lot of the failures you see posted about on social media.

This is true. John told me as such when I got my Rec Tec. pellet grill. I lapsed on maintenance once and got a problem. Once. As the saying goes, "learn from your mistakes".

Not hard for me to admit it was my bad. Actually a lot easier than spinning a tale to hide an inadequacy on my end.

M.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I have been cooking on pellet grills for the last 6 years or so.  I have yet to have a failure of any kind. 

Hey John, why did you end up moving away from your old Yoda Pellet Grill?

My local BBQ joint has just started carrying them and they look solid as hell, but i recall you swapped yours out for a Traeger a while back

10 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Hey John, why did you end up moving away from your old Yoda Pellet Grill?

My local BBQ joint has just started carrying them and they look solid as hell, but i recall you swapped yours out for a Traeger a while back

"Solid" was the only thing my Yoder had going for it.  Everything else about the Traeger was better.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, John Setzler said:

"Solid" was the only thing my Yoder had going for it.  Everything else about the Traeger was better.

So it’s basic functions aren’t great or it had problems?

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

So it’s basic functions aren’t great or it had problems?

All of the electronic and control capabilities of the Traeger were superior.  The trager also doesnt' care what kind of pellets you use for long low and slow cooks. The yoder firebox design doesnt' work well with certain types of pellets over long periods of time.  Yoder's electronic and control issues may have been solved with the recent upgrade to Fireboard control.  My yoder had rust issues, which don't hamper the cooking, but my audience seems to like their grills to look like prom queens.  My yoder 640 also had up to 60-75 degrees in temp difference from one side of the grill to the other.