Sign in to follow this  
just4fn

brisket is challenging.

Double post, this can be deleted.

By no means am I a bbq master or even expert.  I consider myself a novice.  I like to try things and hope they turn out good.  I follow other peoples experiences on here and think I should have the same results.  This is my 1st attempt of a brisket on  my Vision kamado.  I did the sous vide method and it was pretty good.  This is the other part that I cut off.  Now for my experience.  I  put the brisket on at 5:30 this morning at 275 thinking it will take 5 hours to get to 165 to wrap.  It took 2.5 hours.  I wrapped it at 8:00am.  Now it is 9:20 and the temp is 190.  It is in now way going to take 11 hours.  I'm going to  probe it at 200.  Seems like instead of low and slow, it's going low and fast.  Any thoughts?  It is only about 3 lbs and that is probably the answer right there.  Everybody else it take 11 hours. 

It is heating up faster because it is small and likely has little fat. Temperature means little with brisket. You need to cook it until it is tender, whatever internal temp it ends up at is irrelevant. 

I did a 13 lb or so packer brisket no injection at 250 to 275 degrees and it surprisingly only took 6 1/2 hours for the flat to get to tender stage at 205 and about 7 hours for the point.  At 180 internal, it was already through the (apparently non) stall and I did a butcher paper wrap at that stage  just to keep it moist without killing the bark until it hit the tender probing at about 203 to 205.  I was expecting it to take 10 or 11 hours.  So with brisket anything is possible.  Just let the meat tell you when it is ready and happy.  

I will say,  when it is done and if it is too soon for your schedule, wrap it tightly in a couple of layers of foil (in my case over the butcher paper), then wrap that in a towel and put in ice chest. It will remain hot for hours - which is exactly what I did with this brisket. 

I would rather done too soon and in the ice chest than not done when you need it to be done for a specific planned meal time.

I’ve had one brisket finish faster than expected.  I’m more of a traditionalist.  I always cook my Briskets at 225 F to maximize fat rendering.  

There’s arguments to cook brisket hot & fast. I’ve always gotten passable results at 250 F/275 F.  

I also prefer a heavier smoke profile on par  with an offset cook.  225 F gives more time for smoke to be absorbed at the surface of the meat before the meat hits 150 F where smoke absorption starts to falls off.  

Every brisket is different.  No two cuts are perfectly the same.  

It pays to experiment.  Don’t get hung-up on one method for brisket cooking.  Try cooking one at 225 F to see what result you’ll get. 

On 9/9/2018 at 12:20 PM, just4fn said:

...  It took 2.5 hours.  ... It is only about 3 lbs and that is probably the answer right there.  Everybody else it take 11 hours. 

Figure at least 1 hr./lb. with some value to longer cooks IMHO. I did a pair of 16# briskets, trimmed to ~13#, in a 24 hr. cook this summer. Half of that was after it broke 200F so still about 1 hr./lb.

Frank