Mr Cue

Rainy Day Cuban Sammich

Weather was less than ideal for kamado cooking and I'm about out of lump so I decided to do this cook inside. Yesterday I stopped by the new Publix store and scored a loaf of fresh Cuban bread with the intent to make a Cuban sammich.

Today I picked up a 1/3 of a boneless pork loin and rubbed it with my secret Cubano rub then braised it in some Goya Mojo Criollo for 90 minutes. I thought I might have over cooked it but the pork came out perfect. I sliced it into 1/4" thick slices and layered it on the Cuban bread with some Black Forest ham, Swiss, delicatessen style pickle slices, mustard, and olive oil mayo. A quick press in a hot cast iron skillet put the finishing touch on it, doesn't get much better than this!

image.thumb.jpeg.6a581bbbc0d9225924e01200f679caaa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e3bface428cffd5b87cf17769a8c1d77.jpeg

9 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

I’ve not ever had a Cuban sandwich but it sure looks good!

Oh my, you’re missing out.... let me help you!!!

There are only a few main ingredients so it’s a an easy sandwich to make. If you can’t get an authentic Cuban bread and aren’t up to making one, potato bread will do. You’ll also need some good quality deli ham, we prefer Black Forest,  some Swiss cheese, a snappy dill pickle (Claussen works well here), some mustard, and of course your Cuban style pork. If you have a deli that sells Boar’s Head deli products you can get all the ingredients at the store, if not you can make the pork pretty easy and can use a pork loin or shoulder. It’s up to you and the big factor their is time; it’s obvious which is the quicker of the two.

To make the Cuban Pork you’ll need a bottle of Goya Mojo Criollo and a rub. For the rub I use equal parts salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary. Marinade the pork in the Mojo (don’t use any other brand if you can avoid it. The flavors are different) for a few hours, pat it dry, rub it, and use some of the marinade to braise the meat in. 

This is a hot, pressed, sandwich so you’ll need a good skillet and a sturdy spatchula. You can also use a panini press if you have one. Put all the fixings on your bread and press it, that’s all that’s too it! 

Thanks so much for all the detail @Mr Cue!  And appreciate your substitution recommendation on the Cuban bread - as I don't think I recall ever seeing any here.  Really sounds like a great combination and I don't think you can go wrong with a hot pressed sandwich.  I'll have to try it since it's the only way I'll get to have one around here.  :)