Charcoal Addict

Hurricane Florence

Please make sure to evacuate if you’re directly in the path of Florence.  If anything if we should have learned from Harvey, you can’t ride these things out.  This isn’t a wait-&-see situation.  

You’re safety, your family’s safety and well being should always come first.  Material items can be replaced; houses can be rebuilt.  Your loved one’s are the real priority.  

Hoping everyone stays safe and sound. We're inland (Durham NC) but look to be square in the path. We were here for Fran, that was a mess, almost 10 days without power. My daughter came home from Wilmington last night, mother-in-law coming to stay with us on Thursday. Hoping for the best, but if the power goes out, at least the Akorn will be providing some good meals for us (if its not blown away). Glad I placed that FOGO order last week!

Everyone always asks 'are you ready' I don't know, I hope so. Even here in Durham I'm tempted to up and go further away. My wife's sister and her husband are leaving in their RV for Tennessee.

My youngest daughter safe and sound, she's up your way Charcoal Addict, just moved to Hamilton Ontario a couple of weeks ago:)

Even if your inland, you should be stocking up on emergency goods.  All models show Florence moving inland which greatly increases the risks for flash flooding and Tornados. 

Charlotte and Knoxville may not get directly hit but the storm is still moving your way with tremendous potential for serious problems as the storm moves inland. 

Looks like a major storm, likely to affect the coast and well inland of the coast. There’s no protecting homes and personal property from the force of wind, rain, and surge. Protect yourself, your families, and your pets by getting out of harm’s way. Don’t put the lives of first responders in jeopardy by trying to ride it out.

Stuff, including our precious Kamados, is meaningless and replaceable.

Sooooo, just wondering, would a Kamado (Big Joe in my case) blow over in a strong wind? Just asking because that would be bad. Expecting only tropical storm force winds here.

Best wishes of course to those in a worse situation with potentially bigger problems.

3 hours ago, T Yelta said:

Sooooo, just wondering, would a Kamado (Big Joe in my case) blow over in a strong wind? Just asking because that would be bad. Expecting only tropical storm force winds here.

Best wishes of course to those in a worse situation with potentially bigger problems.

During a nor’easter, I had a trampoline (8-12 feet diameter) in my side yard that blew up and over a 6’ fence, down my driveway, across my street, and onto my neighbor’s lawn. Granted the aerodynamics of a trampoline are quite different from a Big Joe. 

I work for the big utility in VA and waiting for orders where to go. This storm is no joke, while the winds are going to be strong it will be the storm surge along the coast and the massive amount of rain that is going to come down. With the ground so saturated the winds don't have to be that strong to cause trees to uproot. 

3 hours ago, T Yelta said:

I will use a ratchet strap to secure  mine to the deck railing in the corner.

On 9/13/2018 at 5:02 PM, JB58 said:

I work for the big utility in VA and waiting for orders where to go. This storm is no joke, while the winds are going to be strong it will be the storm surge along the coast and the massive amount of rain that is going to come down. With the ground so saturated the winds don't have to be that strong to cause trees to uproot. 

I will use a ratchet strap to secure  mine to the deck railing in the corner.

Most of the victims who lost their lives during this storm were either killed by flood waters or falling trees and debris.   Too many people are misjudging storms based on the wind category number .  Most of the recent hurricanes are  just so massive the Catergory ratings are meaningless.   

Floods are always dangerous even for cities inland.