Chasdev

How low can you go with low and slow?

On a full load of lump at 225* in any kamado you're going to get 18+ hours. Assuming you can leave the vents and dome alone and really just let it ride. And you're using decent lump. 

Just now, landscaper said:

BTW ckreef.  I snagged a few bags of that Fogo Maribo lump for the Konro. Sitting in my garage still in the boxes. Can't wait to try it out. 

It's a bear to light. In a chimney start with 1/2 a starter, a layer of regular lump then fill it with Marabu. Takes 45-60 minutes or so for the chimney to get full glowing. 

I actually skip the starter. Layer of regular lump then fill with Marabu. I blast my MAPP torch to the bottom for a minute or two. 

The Marabu is definitely a really hard lump and will spark like crazy on startup but it burns way longer than most lumps. I'm currently up to 5 bags in my stash. I'll order another bag of Marabu and 2 Black Bags this weekend. I want to get 10 bags of Marabu stashed away just in case Trump gets stupid with tariffs. 

I use newspaper and "second run" normal lump (small bits of previously used lump) to get things going, I did have to go back out with a torch once. Once the Marabu lights and collapses, I fill the chimney to the top again with more. It is a 45+ minute process but totally worth it. 

We have enjoyed some long dinners where I do not even worry about charcoal. I take the still going charcoal after dinner, put it in a cast iron pot, and put that in a closed Kamado to choke it out, I reuse it with seemingly no I'll effects. This also allows the grill to cool off much faster. The stuff is unreal. I have "a lot" but if it gets tariffed and shut down I will be seriously disappointed. 

i have maintained 180 for a few hours for salmon. I cheated and used my flameboss. I have done 220 for 24 hours and could have maybe squeezed a few more out. 

I have a 30 hour Low-n-slow I posted about recently. There are many factors that contribute to how low and/or how long you can go but at a reasonably low temp 225*-250* you should be able to cook any low-n-slow you need without refilling the lump. 

Okay, thanks but what's the lowest temp anybody has been able to maintain?

I can cook at 225 overnight using FOGO but would like to go under 200 and stay there for 16/18 hours on a brisket cook.

My best brisket cooks so far, tenderness wise, have been on a pellet spitter running at 180 for 16/18 hours, wrapping and turning it up to 225 to finish.

I would like to be able introduce real wood chunks for more smoke flavor but stay super low and slow.

190 is my record. I only did it for about 4 hours smoking fish on my KJ. All manual vent setiings and I micromanaged the whole thing fearing coals going out. Used the KJ lump.

M.

In my experience I have had [significantly] better results overall with my low and slow cooks running @ 250 -275 compared to the 200-225 temps I used to try to obtain.   For Me 'Super Low and Slow" yielded a dryer end product that took forever to complete.

YMMV

This past weekend I smoked bacon and maintained temp under 120 for 6 hrs. It slowly crept up to 130 at the end of 8 hrs when I pulled it.  To be honest that was not exactly a set and forget cook.  I did a lot a micromanagement of the vents to hold it there.