retfr8flyr

Pellet Grill Questions

Hey guys my Akorn grill is on it's last legs, rusting out and I am thinking abut replacing it with a pellet grill next spring.  I think a Big Joe and a pellet grill would be a good combination, for my needs. I have been researching them but there are so many different variables that it gets a little overwhelming. I want something around 600-700 sq inch cooking area, so the 24 inch grills are out and I am trying to keep it under $1400. The Traeger Timberline is out of my  price range and I am leaning towards the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull.  This grill fits my budget, everything I read on this grill is positive and it has all the stainless steel components I desire. Does anyone have any knowledge about this grill, or any recommendations on a different grill. I know with all the import taxes on China the cost of all the grill will increase, as they are all made in China,  in my price range.

The Rec Tec Bull or the Green Mountain Grills are you’re two best choices at that budget range.  

Build quality is close.  Both units have good controllers.  

RecTec has a better ignition system.  

The Green Mountian has insulation covers for cold weather cooking.  The RecTec has a cold smoker add-on.   You can use a welding blanket for cold weather smoking.

The only real advantages the Traeger Timberline has over RecTec is the Insulated body, Wifi Control and the Super Smoke mode.  

The RecTec will mop the floor with the rest of Traegers line-up. 

The Pro 32 is made from thinner rust prone steel and igniter, controls, and exaust system are inferior to RecTec.

Camp Chef looks good on paper but reviews poorly. 

I think you are still within budget with a Blaz'n Grand Slam and just on the outer fringe of their Grid Iron. Made in the USA if thats a driver.

I think the Big Joe and a Pellet Grill is a great combo!  That Rec Tec looks great and I think they have a good reputation.  We had a Green Mountain Jim Bowie that we really liked... but sadly got rid of it to get the Timberline.... 

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

When you buy a pellet grill you are buying bells and whistles.  For the most part, the cheap ones cook as well as the more expensive ones.

That’s true.  The thickness of the metal body & the amount of stainless is actually the biggest cost factor.

RecTec has the best bang for the buck in the Pellet grill market.  The all stainless body also makes the RecTec the most affordable all Stainless design with an +\- 5 degree accurate PID controller.  

The cheap Pellet grills all rust out after 5-6 years so they’re not really good bargain.  

The biggest stike againt the Timberline was their decision to not use an all stainless body at that price point. 

Mak, Memphis and Fast Eddy have stainless bodies at prices similar to the Timberline. 

3 hours ago, Vanole said:

I think you are still within budget with a Blaz'n Grand Slam and just on the outer fringe of their Grid Iron. Made in the USA if thats a driver.

The Grand slam is just too small for me and you have to add shipping to the price. The Grid Iron is out of my budget. They look lik great grills just not for me.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

When you buy a pellet grill you are buying bells and whistles.  For the most part, the cheap ones cook as well as the more expensive ones.

Everything, after the basics, is all bells and whistles. I am  just tired of grills rusting out. I have to leave my grills outside on an open deck. Even with a cover things are going to rust. With this grill, the things I want are 304 SS grills, firebox, drip tray and any other SS parts I can get within my budget. Most of the offerings, in my budget range, are made from thin  16, or 18 gauge steel and will not last 4 years. In fact, I forget which company, I have looked at so many, even stated in the warranty that the grill was only for 2-3 seasons. I would like to get one of the 24 inch grills but they are just too small for my needs. With my extended family I am sometimes cooking for up to 20 people, about 15-20 times a year. I need a larger bottom grill area when I get this one.

12 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

The Grand slam is just too small for me and you have to add shipping to the price. The Grid Iron is out of my budget. They look lik great grills just not for me.

Everything, after the basics, is all bells and whistles. I am  just tired of grills rusting out. I have to leave my grills outside on an open deck. Even with a cover things are going to rust. With this grill, the things I want are 304 SS grills, firebox, drip tray and any other SS parts I can get within my budget. Most of the offerings, in my budget range, are made from thin  16, or 18 gauge steel and will not last 4 years. In fact, I forget which company, I have looked at so many, even stated in the warranty that the grill was only for 2-3 seasons. I would like to get one of the 24 inch grills but they are just too small for my needs. With my extended family I am sometimes cooking for up to 20 people, about 15-20 times a year. I need a larger bottom grill area when I get this one.

I’m pretty sure you’re going to end-up buying the  RecTec Bull.   It’s the only all Stainless body under $2000 K USD., 

The RecTec consistently reviews in the top 5 Pellet grills on the Market and it’s the top performing mid-range Pellet Grill.   

21 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m pretty sure you’re going to end-up buying the  RecTec Bull.   It’s the only all Stainless body under $2000 K USD., 

The RecTec consistently reviews in the top 5 Pellet grills on the Market and it’s the top performing mid-range Pellet Grill.   

I am really thinking the same. I just haven't seen anything that equals the Bull, in it's price range. I like the Grilla Silverbac  but again it's just too small. There's no telling what the Bull will cost next spring, so I may have to start the search all over. If I can't find anything within my budget, I will most likely just get the Pit Boss Austin XL. That thing is a lot of grill for the money and I'll use it until it rusts out and I can afford to get a better grill.

5 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

I am really thinking the same. I just haven't seen anything that equals the Bull, in it's price range. I like the Grilla Silverbac  but again it's just too small. There's no telling what the Bull will cost next spring, so I may have to start the search all over. If I can't find anything within my budget, I will most likely just get the Pit Boss Austin XL. That thing is a lot of grill for the money and I'll use it until it rusts out and I can afford to get a better grill.

The Bull is US made with US stainless.  There’s no tariffs to impact RecTec.  The only imported part might be the PID controller.  I can’t imagine any price increases for the Bull in the coming year. 

KJ has a double whammy to worry about with Aluminum and Chinese tariffs potentially impacting cost. 

I might be the odd guy out on this topic but I had a Louisiana Grills pellet grill before I got the Kamado Joe and I hated it.

It could cook well but I found it to be very expensive to run. Cooking pellets are not cheap and I thought it used a lot of them.

Just my 2 cents worth, YMMV.

If you buy the good pellets in bulk you can get them for about 75¢ a pound and a good grill will usually use about 1 lb per hour, doing low temp cooks. I don't think that is too expensive, compared to using good lump, like KJ and then paying for good wood chunks to add for flavor. I like the set and forget of the pooper. I'm at the age where I still enjoy the cooking and the food that results but attending a grill closely, to maintain temps, doesn't interest me anymore.

12 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

That’s true.  The thickness of the metal body & the amount of stainless is actually the biggest cost factor.

RecTec has the best bang for the buck in the Pellet grill market.  The all stainless body also makes the RecTec the most affordable all Stainless design with an +\- 5 degree accurate PID controller.  

The cheap Pellet grills all rust out after 5-6 years so they’re not really good bargain.  

The biggest stike againt the Timberline was their decision to not use an all stainless body at that price point. 

Mak, Memphis and Fast Eddy have stainless bodies at prices similar to the Timberline. 

I'm not sold on the all stainless body as a big factor at all.  I have some weber gear that has been running flawlessly for MANY YEARS with no indications of rust.  There is no stainless steel in any of them.  They are coated and won't rust out unless that coating gets damaged.  My father in law has a Weber Kettle that is almost 40 years old.  It does have some scrapes and scratches on the coated surface where some rust has appeared.  It has not rusted through and the grill still gets used at least once a week.  

Stainless steel adding that much to the quality factor of a grill is subjective.  In theory, SS is a more permanent solution.  In reality, these grills are gonna hold up for along time unless they are abused.

During all of your research, have you ever eaten food off a pellet pooper?   Some are disappointed with the lack of strong smoke associated with a pellet grill.   From my experience, pellets DO have less smoke and SWMBO likes that aspect of them.   If you like stronger smoke flavor, you'll wind up spending more to add "smoke generators" to the mix.  Do yourself a favor  if you haven't eaten food off one, find a friend with one.   Take him a chicken, steak or roast and invite yourself to dinner.