retfr8flyr

Pellet Grill Questions

On 9/12/2018 at 6:50 PM, retfr8flyr said:

Hey guys my Akorn grill is on it's last legs, rusting out and I am thinking abut replacing it with a pellet grill next spring.  I think a Big Joe and a pellet grill would be a good combination, for my needs. I have been researching them but there are so many different variables that it gets a little overwhelming. I want something around 600-700 sq inch cooking area, so the 24 inch grills are out and I am trying to keep it under $1400. The Traeger Timberline is out of my  price range and I am leaning towards the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull.  This grill fits my budget, everything I read on this grill is positive and it has all the stainless steel components I desire. Does anyone have any knowledge about this grill, or any recommendations on a different grill. I know with all the import taxes on China the cost of all the grill will increase, as they are all made in China,  in my price range.

I was in this situation for quite some time.  Wanted a pellet so bad but couldn't come to terms with cost/size/brand.

Could've picked up a vision or akorn locally for short money after seeing quality of kamado Joe classic I held out for a big Joe in black.  It was not easy to find a big Joe in the states at the time & I had to wait & have it shipped but in hind sight I'm do glad I did!

Now with pellet, I'm going to ask you what my wife (of all people) asked me:. If you could have the one you want right now regardless of cost, which one would you get?  Her argument was that I use it so much that I need to be happy with it every time I use it.

My timberline 1300 arrived Iast week & I love having it & kamados ! 

Good luck with your decision , glad to see so many of us trying pellets.  Maybe we could do a pellet sub forum some day 

13 hours ago, bosco said:

What is a waste for you may not be for others.  Grills attract different people for different reasons.  We are all so use to kamados being the all in one grill so it’s easy to understand or justify its purchase.  

Orhers really prefer simplicity of a pellet for example and only want one grill. So searing makes sense.  

I buy my traeger pellets at costco and I am very happy with the price point for the weight that I get.   

Ordering loads of wood or bags of charcoal are all expensive as well.  

when u get your pellets at costco what is the price you are paying and what are you getting i have read that some pellet companies put fillers in and the good companies dont i get the same lump that you get for my kamado how far off from that price point is the pellets going to be.

this is an excellent thread very informative

1 hour ago, Stile 88 said:

when u get your pellets at costco what is the price you are paying and what are you getting i have read that some pellet companies put fillers in and the good companies dont i get the same lump that you get for my kamado how far off from that price point is the pellets going to be.

this is an excellent thread very informative

I get Traeger gourmet blend at Costco which is a mix of cherry, maple and hickory.  The pellets are excellent and the aroma is wonderful.  I buy 33# bag for 24.99 CAD.  Traeger standard pellets are 25 pounds for 22.99 CAD. 

Price point... I find it about the same price as lump.  Depending on how I am cooking these bags last me a long while.  

Just like lump, people will say it costs more than propane... but for me I really enjoy the profile of pellets and the ease of use has been my jam.  

I still cook on the kamado and go through lump as well

On 9/13/2018 at 6:02 PM, bosco said:

This is so perfectly stated John.  It is very true, less is more and a little smoke goes a long way. I get massive heart burn when food is cooked with too much smoke and I have never had an issue.  

I dont smoke on my kamado anymore because I prefer the pellet and I have it in my cooking arsenal.  

A lot of people want one grill to perform all the task across the whole gamut.  That’s s strength of the Kamado over the Pellet Grill.

I prefer to use the best tool for the job.  That’s a luxury for the people who have the space & the budget to own more than one Grill. 

6 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

A lot of people want one grill to perform all the task across the whole gamut.  That’s s strength of the Kamado over the Pellet Grill

Not too sure on this, there's about a zillion folks on social media that only have a pellet and it's amazing the range of amazing cooks that they pull off: ribs, brisket, burgers pies, cookies, cocktails, seafood , pizza (yes, pizza).

Seems to me that more folks are buying ikamands and other controlers to give their kamado the indirect cooking temp control features that are standard on a pellet (myself included).

Don't get me wrong, I'll never give up my Joe Classic but if that had to happen, I feel that my cooking wouldn't be negatively impacted; I never take my kamados over 500-550 much anyway, no need 

After doing a lot more research, I am looking hard at the Camp Chef Woodwind SG with the searing box. The new SG is 2 1/2 inches taller than the older model and allows for a full upper rack. I don't do my large cooks that often and the smaller overall size, compared to the Rec Tec and other 36 inch grills, would work much better for most of my cooks. The searing box is another nice feature that I feel I would use quite often. It should use less pellets than a larger grill and still meet my needs. I have read good and bad on the Woodwind model but I think they have worked out all the bugs, as the new SG version seems to be fairly trouble free. I doubt I would ever use the sliding grate feature but I think the extra size is worth the increased price. Anyone know anything about this model?

On 9/13/2018 at 8:02 PM, bosco said:

This is so perfectly stated John.  It is very true, less is more and a little smoke goes a long way. I get massive heart burn when food is cooked with too much smoke and I have never had an issue.  

I dont smoke on my kamado anymore because I prefer the pellet and I have it in my cooking arsenal.  

On 9/13/2018 at 6:33 PM, John Setzler said:

The biggest complaints about the lack of smoke on a pellet grill comes from people who have been cooking on other types of smokers that make it too easy to over smoke food.  Having a pellet grill has helped me reinforce my opinion that LESS is MORE when it comes to smoke.  We become desensitized to smoke just like chili heads become desensitized to hot peppers.  My pellet grill produces the perfect amount of smoke and I am learning to replicate that perfect amount of smoke on the Kamado grills....

after several pellet cooks i'm starting to understand what y'all mean here.  

lump charcoal produces a pretty strong flavor.  the pellets produce more of a smoke "aroma."  not sure if that makes sense to y'all but both are very good and pretty different.

Well after a lot more research, I have decided to stop agonizing over the decision and just go with the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull. This grill has all the features I want, great reviews and falls within my budget. Of course I probably will not even be able to afford one next year, depending on the taxes. I think I am going to get killed on taxes, under the new rules, next year. I will have to wait and see how things turn out but I have decided to get the Bull, when I get a pellet grill.

22 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

Well after a lot more research, I have decided to stop agonizing over the decision and just go with the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull. This grill has all the features I want, great reviews and falls within my budget. Of course I probably will not even be able to afford one next year, depending on the taxes. I think I am going to get killed on taxes, under the new rules, next year. I will have to wait and see how things turn out but I have decided to get the Bull, when I get a pellet grill.

Congrats on the new grill and ending the associated agony lol

6 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

It’s a good choice and you’ll be happy.  You can always find better handles on Big Poppa Smokers if you get tired of being poked by those bull horns. 

I keep pressing the wrong button when I go to quote something.  

I really struggled with them but was strongly considering them before I went Traeger.  Big green Craig got me looking at them but the pro 34 was visually appealing for me.  So that was the direction I went